I have a 210 and work in a lot of dust doing demo. Wondering if anyone has a method of washing air filters rather than just blowing them out? I was thinking of buying two and just rotating them. Thanks
I think it's safe to say that the general consensus is "don't do it", and be very examining old filters that you've blown out. Does this have an inner safety filter in case the main filter leaks? Do you have a precleaner on the air intake? like a cyclone or turbo.
I'll second the idea of a precleaner like the cyclone. http://www.sy-klone.com/mm5/merchan...ode=SI&Product_Code=9001&Category_Code=S9-PRC
Yes and yes
It better to fit a vaccum gauge in the cab with it connected to the outlet pipe on the aircleaner then replace all the filters when it reaches 20" of vaccum. Got that advice from Cat and Donaldson 25 years ago
Good idea Thanks
Good day EC210 Volvo normally offer an oil bath air cleaner this is less costly to service.
Never heard of that. I'm going to look into it. Thanks Uffex
I know I have bored folks about air cleaners before but once upon a time Cat used to have a P/N for a detergent specially formulated for washing primary filters. A washing machine to swish them was also available from Cat at a horrendous price. We built our own and the washing and inspection of filters from about a dozen machines was a few days work for the storeman every week. Caterpillar (and particularly Allis Chalmers) back in the 1960's had no concept of primary filters blocking up in three or four hours and the bright sparks at Allis sent our first HD21P's over with Farr Pamic air cleaners that cost more in uncleanable elements per hour than the hourly rate of the tractor. Washing, darkroom inspection and drying was always a normal part of maintenance . . . but only on primary filters, the inner (safety) element was always replaced as required. I might add that I went back to oil bath air-cleaners when dealing with just one or two tractors in remote areas. In heavy dust they need to be cleaned daily but it is not too bad if you are set up with a wash bowl and scrapers . . . the main bodies need a pressure wash with kerosene and then hot detergent water every Christmas. The standard centrifugal clear plastic bowl pre-cleaners were standard and would often be emptied several times a day . . . they were a good source of friction enhancer and oil dryer upper media for getting that few extra hours out of the cone clutches on Le Torneau PCUs I don't suppose anyone is surprised when I say my lung function is about 65% . . . and I used to smoke. Cheers.
Thanks for the input Oil bath seems to be the answer
I've never heard of oil bath filters on modern equipment either, no offence Scrub. They quit using them because they're not as efficient as a paper element, dust removal wise. Not just because people are too lazy to clean them. If it was me, run it until it plugs (based on the vacuum indicator), maybe blow it out a few times, and then replace it. If you want to save money, keep the inner safety element in place for the life of three outer elements.
Good day Often these are available under option equipment > tropical equipment as the dust is more of an issue, there is also what is known as an ejector filter this works with the exhaust connection. May also be worthy of consideration. Kind regards Uffex
Opps forgot the link Air Cleaners - Donaldson Company
The venturi type precleaners are probably the best to use as there are no moving parts but should NOT be fitted to machines working in dry vegetation according to a Donaldson rep. Vegetation matter can come out as sparks resulting in fires. Turbo type are pretty good but the spinner should be checked weekly
Yair . . . Dunno Delmer. I do understand that on paper the dry elements are better. . . in the real world not so much perhaps? To some extent I believe this is one of the first examples of the marketing philosophy that produces bloody marvellous complicated devises like that laser printer hooked to your computer. It sells you the printer complete with cartridge . . . and when you go to buy a new cartridge it costs more than the bloody printer. As an example the air filter on the 19hp Kohler on my mower is a flat pan affair that is unsuitable for cleaning and costs around fifty dollars. I use a couple every season. If it was a conventional oil-bath it would cost a maybe a couple of dollars worth of oil . . . they can be messy though and that's what puts people off. The filter design is not crash hot either with lots of flat surface and potential for misfitting A nice little earner though. (Grins)
No argument from me there. Uffex said the oil bath filter is available as optional equipment for "tropical" use. To me that means third world condition where they know the filter is likely to be knocked clean and put back in until it falls apart, in which case scraping the gunk out of the oil cup is much better for the engine than beating on a paper filter. Not because it is better for dusty tropical conditions. Certainly cheaper to maintain in many conditions, where you don't have to worry about bureaucrats etc.
xxxx
Yeah Scrub , We just retired a Farr filter on the 74 Pete . Went with a simple open element under the hood . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=3728&viewfull=1#post3728
Any one had a go at this stuff? When raking, we have the same problem that Scrub had, having to clean filters at least daily. From what I can work out, the filter would still need to be serviced as regularly but the element might last longer. http://www.airfilterwrap.com
Usual first thought ......... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Good day A couple of pieces of info that be of interest. Kind regards Uffex
From those two options I'd go for the turbine style one.
I remember seeing a precleaner on a crusher genset similar to the bag house on an asphalt plant. Long wire mesh tubes with fine mesh bags over them. The heavier particles get caught by the bags. Every so often a blast of compressed air is shot into each bag causing the particles to fall to the bottom of the chamber where they fall out. Too cumbersome for a machine, but if someone could make a compact model
We installed the Donaldson top spin on our large 4 wheel drive tractors, 550hp. Made a huge difference in the amount of fine dust/dirt getting into the factory filter. Been using them 3-4 years.
Anyone have experience with Sy-Klone's XLR Precleaner? currently we're changing the primary air filter on our Cat 316 at roughly 75 to 100 hours. This machine does have a 9001 sy-klone on it. running in a C&D Debris transfer station. we also run a B66 Rotochopper that we're changing filters pretty frequently. Anyone care to take a stab at the air flow requirement for a twin turbo Cat C18? 1 Sy-Klone XLR per every 350 CFM, I'll take a guess and say I'd have to run 4 units. Curruntly it has Centri precleaners on it.
18 liters at 2000 rpm is 1271 cfm
If the turbo's blowing 20PSI does that double the cfm's? I don't know. Or if that's taken into the calculation. I don't think I'd want those electric fans in the dirty airstream, seems like nothing but trouble. They'd only be needed at near full load, any lower load and the suction wouldn't matter. The air filter restriction is over rated IMHO, but I don't work on C18's in grinders either. On the stuff I see the air filter restriction indicator rarely trips or even moves, the bigger issue is keeping the filters intact and not leaking dirt into the engine, that will make trouble fast.
pressure won't change displacement, it changes amount of molecules in the same volume I'm with you on the restriction indicators
HeavyEquipmentForums I am extremely impressed with the Enginaire retrofit on my dust bunnies.