We had a spectacular weather day today. 70F and no wind. I took advantage and power washed the grader. I like to push snow in a squeaky clean grader.
I find our machines with fenders stay much cleaner than the ones with.
Generally I don't have much need for fenders. But if pushing snow on unfrozen roads it can be a problem.
ovrszd I recently bought a 143H (low hrs.)with rust issues, only because the machine was not washed or cleaned after it was in the corrosive environment when plowing snow. I have a 140G that is ten years older than this one & it is pretty much rust free. Some counties and municipalitys are very good about keeping things clean and some are not. Those that let their equipment sit and rust away are losing money when they trade it in. Corrosion not only affects the metal but wiring and even radiators. Keep up the good work!
Fenders are awesome to keep windows clean. Our Volvo only plowed snow a couple winters, and I washed it every time I went back to the barn, and it is rusting like crazy. I think a good paint job makes a big difference as well as the washing. The L70 loader I run in winter now was rusted and faded. It was done over a few years ago, and there is still not a speck of rust on it. A clean machine seems to work better.
I wash and wax my machine every month I’ve found keeping it waxed really helps keep it clean generally all I have to do is use hose and scrub brush with soap and machine looks brand new got my Deere machine and one of my cat machines done before we get ready to put wings on for the winter.
I'd love to have that ripper
It definitely comes in handy main reason I have ripper is we have a handy hitch packer that mounts to the ripper really nice having the packer with you
Always interesting to see how different things are in different sections of this country! I'm assuming you have many unpaved roads to maintain? I'm sure there are some here in New York State but even here in what I would call the rural part of the state I would have to think hard to come up with one within a couple hour's drive from here. The few graders I might have seen in the last ten years are used to maintain roads in quarries or grave beds and the are probably 1970's vintage if that new!
Thank you. I agree. I wash the Township Grader at my house, using my equipment and on my time. Doesn't cost the Township anything. Same with general maintenance. They provide the grease, oil and filters. I provide the labor. Once in awhile I'll leave the Grader parked outside at my house overnight. I always feel guilty. Normally parked in a shed with the door shut. Sunlight is your enemy. We had our last Grader 8 years. Several times during the last half of that someone would ask me if we got a new Grader? Nope, just freshly washed.
I maintain 50 miles of gravel roads. Only time I see pavement is when running on the State Hiways getting to the next gravel road. I've never ran with the blade in float.
Finders? We don't need no stinking finders !! LOL Finders don't play well with tire chains on my 1954 No.12 Cat Motor Grader Sorry I had to.