Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Water Brake Question

3Tuck ยท 2026-04-24 07:55

Hey guys, We've got a 6140 using an 18" Eaton WCB as a slip clutch on the haulback drum (for the interlock). I am having troubles with inconsistent friction, thinking that the frictions are glazed. Air pressure verified, disassembled and inspected (coppers, and disks appear fine). Seem to begin grabbing once you pull through it at full pressure for a little- But goes back to very little grab on the next turn. Does anyone know a wear-in process or trick to get them grabbing consistently again? Or is it time for new frictions?

Replies3
  1. #1Tacodriver2026-05-03 11:25

    Not getting any grease on the frictions? I have soaked the frictions with brake clean and gotten more bite out of them not sure if I was getting contamination from somewhere. 224 WCB on a TSY 50.

  2. #2Hallback2026-05-16 23:54

    How far out are you hanging when you're trying to use the hobo interlock? That 18" brake isn't very big and If the pucks haven't been replaced ever then I'm sure they need freshened. On a 6140 that haulback drum is never even used by 98% of guys.

  3. #3Hallback2026-05-16 23:55

    That's what it sounds like to me as well, cooking the grease out of the frictions and getting some bite. Then when you take the pressure off of it it glazes over again.