Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Water line replacement estimate

GP_Excavating · 2020-10-14 21:21

Hi Guys, I have been a member here for a little while but never really posted anything. I mostly do residential demolition and excavation. I have a client that needs a price for the replacement of a waterline and two fire hydrants, I am only providing the equipments and gravel for the job (with operator, me) I never quoted jobs like this before. How much per cubic meters or cubic yard should I charge ? the line is 11 feet deep by 360 feet long (4'' line) Thanks for the help

Replies7
  1. #1KSSS2020-10-14 21:53

    A waterline that is 11 feet deep? Typically what would be bid by linear foot here. I would certainly put in the bid what your responsible for and what your not responsible for. Make sure you factor in the trench box.

  2. #2suladas2020-10-14 22:32

    Yea I would definitely put what is/isn't included, and make sure they know about thrust blocking, are you installing or just digging? For jobs like that I generally figure how many feet I can trench per hour and figure in hourly rate. A big part depends on access being that deep.

  3. #3Bls repair2020-10-14 23:52

    What is the spec design for the trench (box ,slope,bench). What are you doing with dirt ,throwing to the side ,using what you need leaving the rest or do have to haul excess away . Do you have to work with whoever is doing the pipe work (carrying and setting pipe, and hydrants). Are you removing old and replacing with new or just putting new line in . Do you have specs for backfilling trench . These are things that can add a lot of time to a job . Get your responsibility’s in writing and and anything outside of your scope of work is an extra charge.

  4. #4Vetech632020-10-15 08:19

    This usually bites you in the ass.

  5. #5Tugger22020-10-15 08:54

    Is your client a long time good customer? If you have a good working relationship you might get together with him and budget this best you can ,but do it on time and materials.

  6. #6Bls repair2020-10-15 09:07

    Don’t forget rock and water clauses in bid.

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-10-15 15:28

    Time and material would be fair to both of you. Do you know what you are digging into ? A test hole may reveal wonders.