Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

water pressure guage

chasman ยท 2010-07-31 00:14

On my 955K the water pressure guage is not working. I was wondering if they are useful to have and how they work? It was connected when I got the machine but cannot remember if it worked and now since I had the radiator recored I haven't bothered reconnecting it. Right now it is blanked off with a 1/8th inch brass plug. How does it work? I tried blowing on the tubing end but the guage doesn't do anything. It connects at the top tank of the radiator and the line on mine is cobbled together with plastic and brass (maybe copper) Thanks

Replies28
  1. #1digger242j2010-07-31 02:04

    You mean water temperature guage, maybe? (Or am I just showing my ignorance?)

  2. #2Cmark2010-07-31 09:19

    Cat machines used to have a coolant pressure gauge to be used in conjunction with the temp gauge. Incidentally, it's interesting to note that Cat use the correct spelling "gauge", whereas I've noticed that a lot of Americans now use "gage". Discuss?

  3. #3chasman2010-07-31 09:43

    I might have misspelled it guage. As far as I am concerned gage is totally incorrect. Gauge looks to be the right way.

  4. #4mitch5042010-07-31 11:49

    1. if you were blowing on it by mouth, it won't do anything. Just for something interesting get a low pressure gauge and blow on it. If I remember right you can't blow 1 psi; maybe you can't blow 5. 2. the only use I can think of for the pressure guage is so you'll know if the radiator cap is venting if you can't see it. If you have a good temperature gauge I don't see it as important. 3. everytime I have seen gage I thought the person couldn't spell guage. If not it is sloppy looking. 4. Digger is showing his ignorance. hi, Digger:waving

  5. #5powerjoke2010-07-31 14:16

    I'm kinda with digger....I never knew they had a rad pressure gauge, what was the reason for it even being there? Pj

  6. #6Greg2010-07-31 14:24

    The idiots that can't spell gauge probably are the same fools that talk about "RPM's and GPM's" too. Aggrevates the crap out of me when I see and hear that kind of stuff. When I ask them what either of the previous mean they look dumb. Then I tell them what it is supposed to really be and they look at me like I am an idiot.

  7. #7muzy2010-07-31 14:50

    Well I am not that old, but water pressure is pro active. If you lose psi you have a leak. Now the temp will rise. High psi and high temp, work easier no psi and high temp, shut down now (and pray) muzy

  8. #8powerjoke2010-07-31 15:40

    Just dont complain about the word " Hydraulic ".....the big guy will come and lock the thread Pj

  9. #9mitch5042010-07-31 15:48

    Makes sense, thanks.

  10. #10Cmark2010-07-31 17:39

    Boiling point and pressure are related to each other. The higher the pressure in the system, the higher the temperature before the water boils. I've found pictures of the guages at http://www.gbinstruments.com/pdf_new/mechanical_replacement.pdf Look at 8S8409 and 3S4131 to get an idea of how the system used to work from an operator's point of view. I guess the idea was dropped with the advent of anti-freeze/anti-boil coolant as standard.

  11. #11chasman2010-07-31 18:47

    So far no real help here other than maybe getting the idea that I should ****can the guage ( I mean gauge). Too bad I always seem to be buying antique equipment ( oh heck I think I might have misspelled antique?) I might even have misspelled the word misspelled or maybe not. The good news is she seems to run right in the green as far as temps go since I pulled the rad and had it recored but still sorta puzzled as to the relevance of a "water pressure gauge" Thanks. Oh yeah nice link there to the gauges, Cmark

  12. #12Cmark2010-07-31 19:34

    Are you joking?? What do you mean "no real help" and you're "still puzzled as to the relevance of a water pressure gauge"?? I've explained exactly why pressure is relevant to a cooling system. Did you actually look at the 8S8409 and 3S4131 gauges? These are the type of gauges that should be fitted to your 955K. When the water pressure is in the green, you read from the green scale on the temperature gauge. When the water pressure is blue, you read from the blue scale on the temperature gauge. When the water pressure is yellow, you read from the yellow scale on the temperature gauge. I really can't make it any clearer! Sheesh!!

  13. #13digger242j2010-07-31 20:27

    Hey, I've never been afraid to admit it when I'm ignorant. Thanks, Cmark. In looking at the pictures you linked, I learned something new today. Now I'm less ignorant than before, (but only marginally so.) I'm also not afraid to admit that I'm sometimes too lazy to check a spelling I'm not sure of, and sometimes that leads me to be wrong: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gauge Although, I'll also admit I'd never seen "gage", or at least never thought it was a correct spelling, but dictionary.com has that version too: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gage "Aggrevates" ? How about "aggravates" ? :tong There's an internet rule of thumb that says anything you post which criticizes somebody else's spelling or grammar will invariably contain an error of its own. That's one reason I quit being a member of the spelling police.

  14. #14Cmark2010-07-31 20:49

    No-one should get too bent out of shape over the Gauge/Gage thing. It was never a criticism, only an observation and an invitation to discuss the fact that Gage is used a lot nowadays. The last thing I want is to start an argument over how the gradual slipping of education standards, coupled with easy internet access , 24/7 junk TV and Microsoft Word spellchecker is leading to a general dumbing down of the Western world.

  15. #15powerjoke2010-07-31 21:07

    haha, you guys are the ones that spells tire with a "Y" But seriously, if Cmarks post dont clear it up.....I dont know what to tell the OP Pj

  16. #16Cmark2010-07-31 21:27

    I know, but you don't have to get all jealous about it! Just try spelling it with a "Y" yourselves. It's easy once you get the hang of it

  17. #17digger242j2010-07-31 21:49

    Yire?

  18. #18willie592010-07-31 21:51

    LMAO! :lmao:falldownlaugh:duh

  19. #19Cmark2010-07-31 23:41

    Good one:notworthy

  20. #20OCR2010-08-01 00:01

    water pressure guage: LOL... :lmao OCR...

  21. #21mitch5042010-08-01 00:37

    Hey Digger, I was just confirming for you 'cause you sounded unsure ... I proudly display my ignorance in hopes that people will do away with it- sorta like putting an old couch out on the side of the road in hopes someone will haul it off. Cmark, I considered the relationship of pressure to boiling point but in a sealed system as the temp. goes up so does the pressure until the relief pressure is reached. Modern coolants do of course raise the vapor pressure of the fluid and thus the boiling point at a given pressure. I think the water pressure gauge as a practical thing is irrelevant. However, I think the part about the colorcoded gauges is neat. I had never realized that before; and you gave me a new source for Cat gauges, maybe cheaper, thanks. On the gauge/gage thing I wasn't criticizing anybody's misspelling, but many peoples sloppy shortcut spelling: gauge/gage,through/thru,etc. I know enough people use them for the dictionaries to list them as correct but I still think it's a shame for our language.

  22. #22bobin352010-08-01 01:36

    Cmark youve hit the nail on the head as far as how to read the water temp and pressure gauges togeter took me forever to teach my old boss how to read them on the D8H/K series tractors.

  23. #23Cmark2010-08-01 01:48

    I'd totaly agree that a water pressure gauge is irellevant today but they must have been necessary back in the day or they wouldn't have wasted money fitting them. I'm guessing people didn't realise the importance of keeping a good seal on the cap for the new pressurised systems and might have considered pressure in the radiator as a bad thing. Maybe Cat fitted the gauge to emphasize that presure was now a good thing and actually necessary to avoid boiling.:beatsme

  24. #24OCR2010-08-01 02:17

    water pressure gauge: and off topic a bit. Yeah... you got it digger... :cool2 This might not be proper to post, so delete it if need be. I'll just use links to individual posts.... Some of our "finest", discussing the VLAT, a Gov. acronym for... Very Large Air Tanker. Key word is "whether"... http://www.wildlandfire.com/hotlist/showpost.php?p=73634&postcount=69 http://www.wildlandfire.com/hotlist/showpost.php?p=73646&postcount=73 http://www.wildlandfire.com/hotlist/showpost.php?p=73780&postcount=78 http://www.wildlandfire.com/hotlist/showpost.php?p=73785&postcount=80 Here's the entire thread, if any are interested: http://www.wildlandfire.com/hotlist/showthread.php?t=10966 Yup... and they're still going at it... BTW... I belong to this site... but don't use the same name I use on HEF... lol OCR... Hope I didn't make a mistake... lol

  25. #25stinkycat2010-08-01 18:36

    water pressure gauge The pressure gauge can be a engine saver. Temp gauges are either operated by a ether alcohol bulb or a thermresistor if the coolant leaks out and they are uncovered they will read a normal or lower temp gee it would great if we had a spell checker

  26. #26muzy2010-08-02 08:37

    Yes I agree. Good thinking. muzy

  27. #27Orchard Ex2010-08-02 19:02

    Give the search engine a try.

  28. #28Welder Dave2016-12-31 22:13

    So would it be a Gearspanner in the UK?