Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Water “Protection” question….

Coytee ยท 2023-08-31 06:51

So this is actually about my tractor, not my backhoe. I have an International 1066 open station tractor. On the "floorboard" is a bolted on, metal plate. UNDER this plate, as I recall (been years since I've had this off) is a bolt on panel that is the cover of part of the transmission. Long story short, it's an outdoor, unprotected tractor. I think I'm getting rain seeping its way down here and working into the transmission, therefore, the Hytran fluid. I'm thinking of ways to help protect agasit that as Hytran is roughly $150/bucket out the door and I think it takes 4-5 buckets so if I can minimize the water, I'll gain fluid exchange time & save some cash. What I'm envisioning is maybe a piece of "sheet rubber" that I can put OVER the transmission hatch, UNDER the floor plate to sort of sandwich in there and act as an external seal....sort of like an umbrella. Or, maybe a sheet of what I'd call "sticky insulation" where you can peel the cover off, stick/apply it and essentially form fit it to the transmission cover, and again, sandwich under the floor cover. Or something like that. Any thoughts/ideas??

Replies4
  1. #1rumblecloud2023-08-31 07:38

    Sounds like a very simple, quick fix and one I would prolly opt for - (not that I'm an expert in any way, shape or form )

  2. #2joe--h2023-08-31 10:55

    The proper solution is to build a shop. Joe H

  3. #3cosmaar12023-09-01 20:07

    Most obvious is a tarp. Second could be a lean-to of sorts to keep the water off.

  4. #4aighead2023-09-05 14:44

    I agree with Joe, but the solution after that is to build a bigger shop, so you may as well start with that one...