I need help pricing out a water service. I have two jobs that I have to quote. In the past I have dug the trench and plumbers have installed pipe. I have watched them do it but I would like to do this work in-house. What I am looking for is an estimate price per foot for 6" and 8" pipe. Price for under pavement and no pavement. No hydrants. One job is about 500'. Maybe one of you guys would like to do the work. It is in central NY. Any help would be great.
type of pipe? depth of excavation? soil type? ground water? compaction spec? who is responsible for cutting/replacing paved surfaces? lot of existing utilities to jump? bedding material spec? do the DI fittings or DI pipe if used get wrapped?
dayco, thank you for the reply. I am looking at plans and will post answers ASAP.!
Thank you again Dayco, This is what I can tell you so far. The job is a school so plan on over engineering and I plan on adding extra for the BS factor. The job includes three schools and all have some water main work and storm water work. Just a general idea is good. I might just sub out the pipe work. Type of pipe; class 52 ductile (ansi c 151/a21.51) Depth : min 5' 6" Soil type: topsoil, clay Ground water: not in Geo tech? Saw cutting and patching; yes cutting no patching about 50' the rest it along the side of road. Existing utilities: only the 4" main to replace Compaction: 95% Bedding: granular fill, I will use crusher run Pipe wrapped: yes for pipe under and over or parallel to storm pipe. (Crosses 30" sdr storm). :notworthy
check your spec on the pipe wrapping again. most engineers these days require any DI pipe or DI fittings to have a full length poly wrap for each pipe and fitting to isolate it from corrosive soils. your method of compaction might get or lose the job for you. we ave. 500' a day on mainline work. digging, install, compaction. but we compact with 2nd excavator using either a sheepsfoot, or hoepac depending on soil type and moisture. we just picked up 17,000 feet of mainline install for the town i live in. bear in mind, this is all out in the wide open, new development. we provide no material, all supplied by the city. our labor runs from 6-12" pipe....from $13-$17 a foot for labor only.
By this I presume you mean stone? Around here, I've never seen any sort of stone used as "bedding" material for DI waterline. In some cases, sand has been used, and in others the native dirt, but I've never seen stone. Now, backfilling to the surface, especially under pavement, is done with stone...
here, other than the bedding material immediately around the pipe, we use the same type of soil back in the excavation as what came out. we have a problem here that if we backfill an excavation with a dissimilar soil it will shrink or swell differently than what was native to the excavation.
Crusher run is stone. #1 and #2 mix with fines. Last summer I uses #2 with out any fines ( #2 ) for bedding. I can ask GC for better specs. The hoe pac is a great idea and plan on getting one for my PC150. (it has third valve) I can use my ex60 and pc150 together but have to protect road on one side of machine. Do you think I will need a trench box? dayco your talking about $8500 labor plus mat. That sounds good to me. If you could do this in one day thats great money!. Thats why I have to get this under my belt. Every job has water main in it and it looks like good money. How does a 4 man crew sound?
What is your bedding? Sand or #1 stone? Any idea on pipe cost per foot? The plan on one school is go from 8" to 6" and tie into existing 4" at building. Then cap off old 4".
if your at 5'6" to invert of pipe you will need one or some type of shoring according to osha, i dont know what kinda room you have to work with , you might be able to bench/ slope your ditch depending on your soil types, but if your in a road, it will be eaiser to save the road with a box in the ground, as far as i know you can rent them id ont know prices though, either that or hydraluic shoring or an aluminum build-a-box, should do the trick
we run 5 man crew. excavator operator pipelayer pipelayer helper excavator w/hoepac operator loader operator
Thank you again, I can't call any local guys because they are quoting the same thing. I was going to call a company in the town 50 miles away from me but they want to do the earth moving also. Just want to quote a good price and not get hurt. Water main is the last big piece of the puzzle for me, so the help is great. Had another GC ask me to quote a state collage water line today and some demo work. Completely different GC. Any body want to come out and help, (teach) me, expenses paid!
Man, if you are going to be trenching water mains with a EX60, you are going to be there awhile. The PC150 would be better to trench with. For compaction, we use a trench roller.
My limited experience with DI is documented here: When you doin' the work? I'd be wiling to come "supervise". I'm pretty good at leaning on a shovel... Good luck... Joe