We started this job 3-30-09 thought I'd post a few pics along the way. Around 140,000 yards to move. There is a 360' x 360' pad and 2 ponds one large and one smaller, the pad gets a 3' over ex. Glad to be working Will post some more pics as we progress.
nice sheeps foot compactor
Good to see ya' turning some dirt Dpete!:thumbsup
One more, can't get all the scrapers in 1 pic there are 5 on the job
Good to see someone out there is still working. It seems like everything around here is completely dead. What is the deadline for the job?
Looks like a good job nice material, have fun DPete, stay safe
Had a rain last night, did'nt stop the fun though
D are you subing other guys to help or are you subing???? Thought this was going to be just your job,but i might have missed something. Glad you finally got to going,know it has been a long process. The weather has been crazy here,snow,rain off and on every week.I have a bunch of work,but not able to move on it.Belly deep in mud here most places.Just about gets settled out and here comes more sh$$ weather. Anyway thanks for sharing the great pics,good luck with your project:usa
The paving contractor hired us to help move the dirt. My machines are on by the hour. 2) 623's 1) grader 1) water truck. As you can see this is sandy material and easy to compact, all tests have passed
Hope I don't bore you guys, here's a couple more
Thanks for the pics Pete. In that second last picture whats that guy doing?.
Looks like he's waiting for the Troxler Nuclear Density gauge to tell him how good the compaction is......
Like pinerider said, nuking the dirt to check density. Typical dirt cop, drives to where he wants test
Aw jeez boys :Banghead we could have had some real fun with that, it aint often that squizzy gets to ask a question that would leave him so open to a bit of ribbing Personally I thought it was that new entry for Robot Wars :tong
I'm with Rob...I thought it was remote controlled Grade Stake..... :naughty:naughty
You dont want the truck drivers running over that remote control grade stake. It will shut the job down like RIGHT now.
Oh Yeah, someone runs over that thing and you won't work for at least a week if I had to guess. Technically he should be standing at least 15 ft back from that thing (if I remember my training correctly. Not that I ever did that the summers I spent as an inspector. If you want to get on a dirt cops good side run the blade over the spot where he wants to test. I loved the guys that would do that for me. I was always a little more lenient with them.
Yup, dirt police, he tests every lift. We are building banks now around the ponds, 6' fill 12' wide top and 3:1 on both sides. 80K yards goes to the stockpile in the pic.
DPete, 815, the material looks on the sandy side. Still make compaction without vibratory compaction? Tanstaafl, any time im working compaction, i always bladed a spot for the dirt cop. The spot was MY choice. When we would start a new job, I would get with the dirt cop, and ask how many test locations he wanted in each area. After that, when i finished my passes in the area, I would blade off the amount of areas they wanted. Of course I would avoid those areas that I knew were too wet to pass.
This is silty sand and very easy to compact as there are fines to bind the sand. We used the 815 on the pad then wheel rolled the top. You actually compact 2nd lift down with the sheepfoot. A vibratory would be fine but would'nt have kept up with so many scrapers on one pad
Makes perfect sense Pete. Last year I worked on a landfill cell construction. Most of our fill was sand. We would spread a lift, and let the dozer man work it around. After the dozer man spread it, we would run that area down with the 627s on the way back to the cut. After we ran the area down, we would run a cat sheepsfoot vibratory roller just to kind of finish things up.
If you're ever lost in the woods just drive a wooden stake into the ground, when the truck driver shows up to run it over, you can catch a ride out with him. No offense to any truck drivers! Just kidding!
Those Troxlers are heavy!, around 80 pounds or so, they have lead shielding to keep the radioactive stuff inside - you don't want to be wandering too far away from the truck with them!
Still digging, should get it next week
They are getting ready to slip form pour 5 round tanks, the circles are 8" of base rock
DPete are you going to be around the site when they start pouring? I have always found the vertical slip forming to be very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Very interesting process, great pics!
They are going to pour the first tank on the 20th, we will be done before that. If I can I'll go up to watch the pour and take a couple pics for ya
Not what I visualized, they pour the tanks in verticle sections seperated by a neoprene seal which doubles as an expansion joint as well as seals the individual pours. The same seal is between the bottom and the walls. When one section of wall is cured enough they slide the form sideways to pour the next section. Not very good pics, best I could do.
oops forgot the pics
Bootiful Dpete do try and keep the pictures coming,and thanks.
Hi DPete, Nice clean job. How long does it take to load your scrapers in that good material?
Around a minute we were making 5 min cycles to the stockpile about 1500 ft round trip. Hit some sugar sand at the last that slowed things down
Great pics DPete, :thumbsup thanks for taking the time to go back and take um and thank you for posting them.
awesome pics DPete, a most interesting process.