Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Water truck stained bad bad

DPete ยท 2007-07-08 21:31

I had my water truck on a job for 4 months we loaded from a water tower that was filled from a well. I can't believe the calcium build up on the tank it turned a nice white truck into the color of brown egg shells. Using Lime away shower cleaner first then rubbing compound with a buffer then finishing compound. I mean that stuff is on there, what a job ! Anybody know a better way? Thanks. DP

Replies16
  1. #1Countryboy2007-07-08 21:48

    If the staining has gotten under the clear coat of the paint then there is little you can do aside from a new paint job. If you waxed it a buffed it but it still didn't come out then its definately under the clear coat. You might take it to a paint shop and see if they can do anything to make it a little better. :beatsme I don't see them being able to get it all out though.

  2. #2Jeff D.2007-07-08 22:46

    I've had two white trucks, my current is one of the two, and have had staining problems with the paint on both. The paint turns yellowish on mine. The only think that seems to take the staining out is by getting it washed at the truck wash and having them use their acid on the paint. The same acid as is used on aluminum, but more diluted. They call it "brightener". Trailmobile sells the same stuff to wash trailers off with. It cleans it up to a nice bright white again. Good luck!

  3. #3Mike J2007-07-09 00:02

    Maybe waxing the truck now that it is clean will help the calcium come off easier the next time?

  4. #4DPete2007-07-09 09:13

    You're right about the wax, it's going to get a good paste wax when I get done. DP

  5. #5DPete2007-07-09 09:59

    Countryboy, It's enamel not base clearcoat. I'm getting it but what a pain. Jeff that acid is what I need will look into it. Thanks. DP

  6. #6RollOver Pete2007-07-09 18:25

    Limeaway will remove the stains. :cool2

  7. #7Countryboy2007-07-09 20:08

    With the enamel you can be a little more aggressive with the potency of your cleaning products. Jeff, is the stuff you are referring kind of like "Truck Bright"?

  8. #8Jeff D.2007-07-10 00:26

    I'm not sure, I haven't heard of the "Truck Bright" brand stuff.:beatsme I do know that it's some kind of an acid, but very diluted. Although it's diluted, I still can't breath without coughing while they're washing my truck with it. It can't be healthy to breathe the stuff. The chain of washes called "Blue Beacon" uses the stuff I'm referring too, and usually the truck comes out with the staining removed after. I've only noticed this staining problem with white trucks too. The local truckwash here uses a two part cleaning system. An acid and an alkali (don't remember which first) then rinse. It really cleans it good!!:thumbsup I think my staining problems are from whatever they're putting on the roads in the winter. I notice the yellowing of the paint is greatest lower on the truck. I also know if you do use the acid wash you must start at the botttom and work up, otherwise the paint will have streaks of the yellowing left in it.

  9. #9Countryboy2007-07-10 00:45

    That sounds like the Truck Bright stuff. When mixing it with water through the pressure washer the mist will make your eyes water and your throat burn. Nasty stuff, but it gets the stains out. :cool2 All the pick up trucks here at the quarry are white and everybody uses the Truck Bright because it takes the staining out. Unfortunately it also removes the clearcoat over time. The trucks are so beat up, it isn't a big deal but I wouldn't think about putting it on my personal vehicle. Enamel paint can probably handle it a little better. Something else I've had good luck with is Greased Lightning. It'll clean a set of aluminum wheels up real nice. Its ever so slightly acidic but isn't as strong as the Truck Bright so it doesn't harm the paint.

  10. #10Jeff D.2007-07-10 00:58

    I'm not positive, but I always thought that my trucks were painted with Dupont Imron, or something similair. I know my Freightliner was. My Mack :beatsme It's tough stuff, whatever it is. I agree, I don't know if I'd want my pickup or cars washed with the acid stuff, just cuz I don't think the paint on those would hold up to it.

  11. #11Countryboy2007-07-10 01:08

    The Mack.....or the paint?

  12. #124x4ford2007-07-25 18:52

    we use the acid on everything but what we use on the paint is very diluted what we wash the trailers out with will burn any the glass on the trucks itll just about make you pass out

  13. #13Countryboy2007-07-25 18:59

    Welcome to HEF 4x4ford! :drinkup

  14. #144x4ford2007-07-25 19:11

    thanks ive been lurking for a while just decided to join finally

  15. #15surfer-joe2007-07-25 21:54

    HEE, HEE! Next time Pete, rent a water truck from Hertz in Bakersfield! Tell em Joe sent ya.......

  16. #16DPete2007-07-25 22:20

    Joe, with my luck they would charge me for a paint job. I got the truck looking pretty good, 4 bottles of shower cleaner and 3 bottles of rubbing compound and several hours later. It looks almost as good as when it left. Man, thats stuff is mean! DP