Turbo went out on one of our 300 Komatsu today. It was in the way so they where going to move it a little ways out of the way. Well the "mechanic" decided he wanted it over by his truck 300' away after the super and I went to the job trailer. We turned around an couldn't see 1/2 the job site. Smoke was billowing out of it, so we came hauling butt down there thinking it was on fire. I have had diesel runway on the dyno and what not but they all had air shut offs and didn't hold 10gal of oil. Man that hoe put on a smoke show. The super and I are waiting to see if there smart enough to check the oil before the fire back up after fixing it. ointhead
usually when they start running off with that volume of sump they chuck their guts out all over the ground. If theres not a rod hanging out of it feel damn lucky. the only things that usually shut them down at that point is cutting off the air or stalling the flywheel one way or another. a C02 fire extinguisher sometimes will do the trick.
had a 312 cat run backwards for at least 30 to 45 minutes, we had rags stuffed into every crack on the exhaust trying to stop it, the mechanic arrive to remove the fuel line, It smoked a bit also. sure did look strange see smoke pouring out of the air cleaner.
i saw a 300 run away also, turbo seal went out and the engine ran on engine oil. did'nt even have 3000 hours. The engine was a common rail 8.3
Man I thought this was going to be a good thread till I found out it was an Excavator
I wouldn't put anything about any side businesses I might have like that on a public forum.
No window in the block yet. It will probably last for 30 mins after they get it back together. The "mechanic" and operator just stood there watching her go. Looked at me kind of funny when I told them they could of stopped it by block off the air filter. Not to say I would of got up there and tried to shut her down for sure or not. They have been getting on us about putting our fire extinguishers in the equipment. All operators are given a extinguisher to carry with them from machine to machine job to job. I have told them if theres a fire I will be running away not at it.
Had a 4 wheel drive Case tractor many years ago do that. scary as hell to a pair of 23 year olds. Put it in gear and killed it against the brakes.
Yea to many PMs wanting location.
Only overspeed I've been around was an early D8H, the fly weights in the governor came off and it ran away spewing turbo impellar parts into the ozone layer. The operator was able to get it shut down before the rods departed, the pistons kissed the valves bending a few. Scary for sure.
Sorry about that I finely got my PM box empty. You can try and PM now.