Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

We spoke it into existence 3116 injectors

1466IH · 2025-04-17 16:38

Came to a machine this afternoon that customer pulled head and had reworked. My favorite...2DS 963C He called me to come set the injectors and valve train. I am more than welcome to alternative procedures. If any of you more seasoned cat guys have some free time and would want to help out send me a pm and I will give you my phone number. As complex as setting these things can be I know that a lot of times it is easier to explain over the phone than to try and type out on the forum.

Replies15
  1. #11466IH2025-04-17 16:39
  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2025-04-17 17:07

    Wow what ever way you do it it ain’t gonna be fun

  3. #38V712025-04-17 17:42

    Do you have the sync and timing tools? You will also need the press/seating tool for the injectors

  4. #4Mobiltech2025-04-17 17:56

    If the heads been off and the rack removed the first thing you need to do is make sure the rack is free to move in the bearings. Do that before the injectors go in and before you connect the governor yoke.

  5. #51466IH2025-04-17 20:56

    I gave myself some more room because the last 63 I did still had the hood and everything on and it is absolutely miserable doing anything with the 4 5 and 6 through the hole under the seat.

  6. #61466IH2025-04-17 21:04

    Yes I do. I have done a couple of these now so slowly picking up little tricks here and there but over on Hatchequip's post last week there were several several ideas and methods to sync and adjust that is not in any book I have found on SIS

  7. #7pittsburgh cat man2025-04-17 21:07

    Yep there was a whole lot of reasons the c model cabs was a bad idea. Had a guy take the pumps out thru the whole in the floor one time pump wouldn't come thru the hole so he got the old cut off wheel and made the hole bigger unfortunately the main harness was in his way

  8. #81466IH2025-04-17 21:10

    I actually replaced the rack. I had a local guy tell me on my first one that it is near impossible to get everything synced if the bearings are too lose. I had customer check them he pulled head and he thought there was some play in the bearings so I gave him the price of a new one from cat to which he replied " I am already this far into it so if there are any doubts just get one and bring it with you" so that's what I did

  9. #91466IH2025-04-17 21:19

    I have done this to a couple to get a little more access. This one I pulled rear bolts and just losened fronts. There is 1 clamp that needs to be removed from the harness under the cab and the governor cable has 1 clamp also. For whatever reason this one had a couple of 90's on two pilot hoses to the levers that were pointing down so had to be loosened and rotated but other than that it is pretty easy to make them tilt somewhat. Have done the opposite a few times also in order to get under the front of the cab. One thing I learned early on when in a truck is that as long as it can be done safely, creativity will let you accomplish some pretty interesting things. Every inch matters on these damn things.

  10. #10pittsburgh cat man2025-04-17 21:28

    this was better

  11. #111466IH2025-04-17 21:31

    I am jealous. We're the C's the only ones without the flip up cab or were there some others also. I feel like I have worked on a B that didn't.

  12. #12pittsburgh cat man2025-04-17 21:37

    Yes just the c s I think they got a lot of bad feed back. The steel mills were very unhappy with the cab set up

  13. #131466IH2025-04-17 21:41

    So were all of the mechanics lol. Is there a way to search SIS and just bring up everything available for the 3116 engines or do you just have to scroll through engine news and service letters etc. I have tried media search but I must be doing something wrong because it always says there is nothing available

  14. #141466IH2025-04-17 21:53

    Also would anyone know how much pressure can safely be put to the fuel galley without damaging anything? Last one of these I did I kept getting compression in the fuel return line but could not isolate which one originally. Finally decided to fill galley with fuel and cap return and put air to the supply side with a regulator but only went to 58psi per fuel pressure test specs. Put my ear down to each injector and could hear air bypassing from #2. Pulled it and sure enough there were carbon tracks in the bottom of cup. I would imagine the system could handle quite a bit more pressure but with the very limited availability of these injectors and the price I would really hat to cause more work for myself.

  15. #15pittsburgh cat man2025-04-17 21:57

    In the old days there was. When we still had micro fiche there was a set that listed machines and it had all the service mags and tibs but they have changed sis since I retired. From what I've seen on here I'm not impressed with the service mags!