Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Weight of asphalt?

Paul W ยท 2008-10-11 19:59

Been asked to bid on a tear out of an existing asphalt parking lot, two of them actually. I havent a clue as to what asphalt might weigh but i would like to get an idea.... For example, a 2'' lift weighs ? pounds per 100 square feet? Safe to say 4'' would be double that? Need to get an idea what I will be charged in tipping fees at the landfill..... Thanks, Paul W

Replies16
  1. #1Turbo218352008-10-11 21:22

    Have an asphalt plant nearby? Around here all the hot rock shops will generally take asphalt for free. They crush it and reuse it in new mix. It saves them new stone, and new asphalt cement. Another then to consider with the landfill. If you break it up small enough, will they take it as hardfill for roads and erosion prevention? If so, they usually take it for free.

  2. #2telescooper2008-10-11 21:54

    Paul When I figure blacktop I take the square Yds times .06 per inch of asphalt, So if you want 6 inches it would be Sq Yds X .36 = tons of material. This is how I was instructed to calculate it for small areas. There others ways also. Telescooper

  3. #3Paul W2008-10-12 15:27

    Turbo, no plants nearby but I will ask about the landfill using the pieces for erosion prevention.... Good point. Telescooper, Cant quite figure out your formula.... Using it I figure that each Sq Yd (9 square feet) weighs in at .54 tons for 1'' thick material, 1.08 tons for 2'' thick material and so on.... 9 square feet of asphalt one inch thick weighs over a half ton? I was guessing about 200# or so...... Not trying to be argumentive, just trying make sure the figures are right..... Thanks

  4. #4Paul W2008-10-12 16:10

    Ok.... I should not have tried converting that to square feet.... I blew it. My bad.... 1 Sq Yd measuring 2'' thick should weigh in about 240#.... 1 (Sq Yd) = .06 ton per inch of thickness.... 120# per Sq Yd 2'' thick would weigh in at about 240# /Square yard 3'' thick would be in the neighborhood of 360# /Square yard I get it now.... Sorry

  5. #5bean2008-12-21 09:16

    Length x width x depth x desity = RAP ton for example 5meters x 5 meters x .1 meters x 2.45= 6.125 .1 = 100mm (about 4 inches) 2.45 is a general asphalt density

  6. #6Dwan Hall2008-12-21 14:42

    2 ton per cubic yard give or take a few 100 lbs.

  7. #7Andyinchville2008-12-21 15:38

    HI, If you can have it milled you can sell the millings to property owners for driveways etc....Make money taking it up AND disposing of it (I used to buy it for my private road when it was available but now they recycle it down at the local asphalt plant)....That recycling really messed me up in terms of getting a cheap road... Hope this helps you. Andrew

  8. #8KevD8152008-12-23 22:02

    Since doing math isnt much fun you can figure out your tonnage here... http://tilconct.com/calculators.cfm

  9. #9ASPHALT042009-05-03 08:59

    That formula probably will cover you for a tear out, but it would be a bit on the heavy side for putting it back in. Asphalt is about 110 to 112lbs per inch per square yard. 8 to 10 lbs might not sound like much, but over a large area can throw you off quite a bit when it comes to bidding and trying to get the job. Another option to is if there is room to change the grade of the lots have it pulverized and simply grade it utilizing the ground asphalt for a better base. I have done many projects that way when there has been room to make some elevation changes especially when trucking cost would get out of control because of location.

  10. #10td25c2009-05-03 10:44

    My book shows crushed asphalt weighing 2250 lbs./cu.yd.

  11. #11blktppr2009-11-06 11:08

    This might be old news as this post is quite old, but I always figure asphalt roughly at 1 ton of material cover 10 sq yds at 2". That will get you an idea of the tonnage you are removing, giving that it was layed at a consistent thickness.

  12. #12john10662009-11-12 23:12

    its about 110 lbs a square yard

  13. #13special tool2009-11-16 17:41

    This is a funny thread.... I bought 18.41 ton of curb mix today. We paved about 1400 square feet at 2.5". I had about 1 ton left over. Hot asphalt weighs about 3220 (mix varies3/8" stone etc.) pounds a cubic yard.

  14. #14powerjoke2009-11-18 09:41

    I am with ya, i dont think anyone really knows so i am going to guess Asphalt weighs 75 pounds per ten wheeler load and a ten wheeler can haul 275 Cubic yard! Pj

  15. #15captain charlie2009-11-18 17:52

    Not even going to try to figure that out, but i do like that concrete calculator. Now alls i need to do is find a good rebar site to figure out how thick and the spacing of rebar for my retaining walls.

  16. #16special tool2009-11-18 19:23

    :lmao My ten wheeler can haul any job 2 inches thick.