Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

weight station

gmc2500 ยท 2005-08-04 21:52

i have a 3/4 ton truck and i haul a 20ft gooseneck and was wondering if i have the trailer loaded with equipment do you have to stop at the weight statioins. ive heard people say that you dont then i heard others say you do just wondering.

Replies9
  1. #1CascadeScaper2005-08-05 02:54

    Here in WA you do.

  2. #2lamarbur2005-08-05 07:13

    At the Union Ct scale, if you drive by, it won't be but two hundred yards. They have a fleet of cruisers each time the scale is open., They go after the little "adventure in moving U-Hauls and everything else.. We all go over the scale and so far I found as long as you do, and under 14MPH, they let you move on. At 15 MPH, it automatically triggers the red light and in you go.

  3. #3gmc25002005-08-05 18:04

    what about if i didnt have any equipment on the trailer

  4. #4lamarbur2005-08-05 18:46

    I can't give you a straight answer to this because it comes down to "interpretation" by the local state or local police. Here in my area, I have a 12,000 pound Bri-Mar trailer., As such, any trailer over 10,000 GVW requires a CDL or supplement to your license. For me, I would cross the scale anyway.. Most areas, I do believe really don't push the issue and probably will let you drive by. Best thing to do is call your local state police and Dpt of transportation. Ask them the same questions, and thereby, you will know how they "interpret" the laws in your district..

  5. #5Steve Frazier2005-08-05 19:08

    I'm surprised to hear that from someone who deals with Connecticut DOT. Drive by one of their weigh stations and you'll get a special invitation to join their party! Trouble is it won't be very festive!

  6. #6chipsearthworks2005-08-05 19:56

    Since It does not take that long to go through the station any ways why not just go through it and then you would be safe instead of driving by and like Steve said be invited to the very stern and not pleasent party. Better to be safe then sorry. When I tow my dump trailer and Pass a station in Ct I stop 9 times out of ten they wave me by but that tenth time is when i decided not to stop and then they come find me and with the recent traffic accident involving a dump truck in ct ( I am sure some of you know what I am talking about) A friend from State PD told me they are going to be cracking down on any one towing a trailer,hauling loads, and driving any trucks that look to be hauling anything So just some friendly advice just stop.

  7. #7lamarbur2005-08-05 20:18

    I'm surprised to hear that from someone who deals with Connecticut DOT. Drive by one of their weigh stations and you'll get a special invitation to join their party! Trouble is it won't be very festive! Steve, I am referring to other areas of the country that I am told, do not push the issue. Certainly not talking about Ct..

  8. #8DKinWA2005-08-06 01:45

    Around here, all the stations have signs before the off ramp saying "vehicles over 16,000 GVW stop at scales when open". Or something to that affect, so I don't stop if the vehicle I'm driving is rated under 16,000 GVW.

  9. #9Dwan Hall2005-08-07 15:18

    Driving from Elgin, IL. to Seattle last spring I stoped at every scale that was open in our street sweeper (Elgin Air Cub) and was laughed at as they waved me by. My wife thought it was fun to see there responce so she had me go out of my way to stop at them all. The sweeper was rated at 14500# but they I am sure none of the DOT people knew that. Next month we get to do it all over again but this time from DC area to Seattle. I think my wife is going to try to take pictures of there faces as we have them flag us through.