Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

welding/burning fatality

xkvator ยท 2006-02-02 08:52

saw this in the paper this morning... KENNEDY TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- A 52-year-old man died after an explosion behind his home on Downs Drive in Kennedy Township on Thursday. Police said Jack Sobeck was cutting metal, probably using some type of heat source, when the heat somehow became too intense and sparked the blast of a nearby propane tank. Sobeck was pronounced dead at 5:52 p.m. Police are still investigating the death. Copyright 2006 by ThePittsburghChannel.

Replies12
  1. #1digger242j2006-02-02 10:11

    Certainly a tragedy. And, a reminder to the rest of us that you can never be too careful. I wonder if any more of the details will become public? As usual, the media provides just enough information to prove that they don't really have a clue about what they're reporting on.

  2. #2norrodbh2006-02-03 13:36

    Holy cow. I know that guy. Our kids go to the same school. I believe this forum has become my main source of news.

  3. #3ADMSWELDING2006-02-04 20:34

    Welding/gas/propane/batterys :nono Thats a horrible accident, also the first thing i look for when working on someone elses truck or in there shop always on the look out for fire hazards and combustibles

  4. #4Dozerboy2006-02-05 21:35

    X2 I was doing some welding on our Demo Car. I went to eat and came out after dinner and the car was on fire. I don't know what kept it going, but I was lucky to get it put out before it caught my dad's shop on fire.

  5. #5fixou8122014-03-20 19:18

    Remember oxygen can be more dangerous than fuel because you can't smell oxygen never store liquid oxygen indoors!

  6. #6stinkycat2014-03-20 20:14

    I have stored a 90 lb tank of liquid oxygen in my home for about 10 years I need it for breathing, I have a 7 lb portable tank that I fill as needed so I may travel around the locale shopping, dinner, etc etc I stay away from open flames. I feel safe and the great thing it keeps me alive (fixou812 this is not a rant toward you) Bob Armstrong

  7. #7fixou8122014-03-20 21:46

    Hi Bob are you sure it is Liquid oxygen I've never seen that but it must last alot longer

  8. #8fixou8122014-03-20 22:10

    Scenario: small welding shop someone left a compressed oxygen bottle on 5am diaphragm ruptures releases its contents into the shop. 5am ruptures or hose leak releases the equivalent of say 50 bottles into a dusty welding shop you walk in and turn on the lights and compressor that would blow more than your socks off

  9. #9stinkycat2014-03-20 22:32

    Fixou812 For sure liquid O2 and yes it lasts a lot longer than the compressed gas. My storage tank lasts about 2 weeks then my supplier will exchange it for a full tank, My portable last about 6 to 8 hours and then I have to refill it. When I started it would last 16 hours but over time my lungs will got worst and I needed more O2. Google Helios Portable Oxygen Equipment and you will get and idea how the system works

  10. #10fixou8122014-03-20 22:35

    Liquid oxygen as apposed to compressed are stored and used in the upright position and will discharge oxygen when not in use compressed will not. Only ones I've seen used in scrap yards or piped into a facility dont know if you could get one here without a permit

  11. #11fixou8122014-03-20 22:40

    Just read that last post of yours. Thanks for the info

  12. #12fixou8122014-03-20 22:43

    Seems that unfortunate welder had an oxygen and fuel leak together and made a spark