Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Welding hinge plate to frame?

Christian Mello ยท 2019-05-30 19:55

I've been in the process of converting an autocar tractor to dump truck. Can I weld the hinge plate to the frame? I've built the hinge plate with 3/8 think 5" angle and welded it to inserts that are 8" wide. I can bolt this directly to my frame. I've used existing bolt holes. Can I weld it to the frame? Will DOT bust my balls? Originally the plan was to sub this out to a welder but I ran out of money. Anybody with experience help me out and pictures are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Theweldor2019-05-30 20:05

    Yes, You can weld it to the frame. Although I would have used no less than 1/2 angle.

  2. #2crane operator2019-05-30 20:31

    I've welded them in the three dump bodies that I've mounted. If you were going to hire it done, is that because you don't know how, or didn't want the liability? If you don't know what you're doing welding, get someone else to do it. There's a lot of twist on that when dumping if its sloped at all. Not the place you want a weld to let loose.

  3. #3Welder Dave2019-05-30 20:44

    Definitely have an experienced welder to weld it but I'd try and find out what material the frame is so you can get the proper electrodes. I'd think something better than 7018, maybe 8018C-3. The welds I can see on the beveled pieces look like Mig and not adequate enough. I'd weld it with stick although some will disagree but it is not something you hope is strong enough. Would be money well spent to have a rig welder come by and weld it up.

  4. #4Christian Mello2019-05-30 20:53

    Some of what you see is mig. If I do decide to do those ears and the plate to the frame I'll use 11018. It's what I would use on our buckets. However I've been messing around with dual shield and I thought about that. I weld like I cook, mostly for necessity. Critical type welds I like to hand it off to professionals but I have more rods than I have dollars right now.

  5. #5Theweldor2019-05-30 21:28

    It is most beneficial to know what you are doing welding that together. If something breaks it will definately ruin your day.

  6. #6Welder Dave2019-05-31 00:08

    I don't know if 11018 would be the best option. It is mainly for welding T1 steel. The truck manufacturer may have welding procedures for rig up shops. Like I said before, you don't want to hope it's strong enough and I would consider this critical type welds.