I have a 1994 Peterbilt with a Cat C7 engine. What is the correct way to weld on this truck? The welder says all he has to do is disconnect the battery. I have heard you also have to disconnect the compter as well.
I am not a welder! That said, after searching and reading there seems to be a lot of different opinions. Some said disconnect battery, some said battery and computer, ABS etc. Others had welded on many, many vehicles and equipment and had never disconnected anything and had no problems. Most important point seemed to be to keep a good clean ground close to where you are welding.
I have found the eaisiest thing to do is to remove the ground cable for piece of mind. If you are not welding with a high frequency (some TIG operations) it probably wont hurt anything. I installed a battery disconnect switch on my 2006 F-550 welding/mech truck, and simply switch it off when welding on the bed of it, and have had no problems.
welding Too be safe remove both battery cables, I have welded and never done this, but I believe I was lucky. I have friends that were not lucky, I think a computer is about $3000, that vs 5 minutes of wrench time for the battery cable, doesnt add up. At least make sure you have a good ground, before you strike the first arc Good Luck
Disconnect all cables at the batteries, get a good clean ground and do not let the computer be between the welding leads contact points. in other words do not allow ground to run through computer.
You'll be fine just disconnecting battery.
Disconnect both bat cables, I just did a some work on my truck and while at the welding shop I begged the guys to disconnect both cables, the owner of the shop smiled at me and said it won't do anything, leave the battery on so I insist, no problem I go back the next day they had to move the truck and were welding with battery on and he goes see no problem well the next day the engine started loosing power a lot, I called my self lucky it was the temp sensor I blame it on the welders I'm convinced. Yes it only takes a minute DISCONNECT BOTH CABLES.
i have been welding for 20 yrs what i do is both cables make sure ground connection is ground clean and also hook ground as close to area being welded as possible and if its not a problem disconnect computer it is your truck not the dude that is welding on it.
On trucks I always remove ground cables. Have seen it done on service trucks were a guy welded using his vise to hold the steel, next morning he lost a boost sensor(F-650, Cummins 5.9), after 2 more boost sensors about 2 weeks apart, the ECM was replaced, problem solved. On any new equipment I/we weld on, the SOP is to remove battery cable and disconnect V-ECU(all others are subordinate to it). We had a welder put on a thumb with the diconnect turned off instead of pulling the cables and disconnecting the V-ECU, we had to install a new one to get the machine out of the shop bay. Better safe than sorry!!
Oops!! I resemble that remark!! 06' F650 5.9 cummins replaced one $1500 ECM on my service truck . I weld on the tail shelf didnt think anything of it until I read the F550 service bulletin . It says to use Isolated mounts on welder and not to place work on truck. So much for the good old days !! Day wiser $1500 dollars shorter !!