Expansive way to deliver rolls of paper
I'm wondering how many hay spikes I could buy for the cost of that thing.
Multiple bases and it could make for very quick drops. Having hauled rolls of paper before I can testify how hard it is to stop them moving around in the trailer.
Was intriguing!
Very interesting. Very efficient! I have hauled paper rolls in a van trailer in the past.
Just had another thought. Some of the paper rolls we hauled had to be stood on end, the roll would go out of round if it was loaded for transport any other way. Maybe that's what we're looking at here..?
I'm assuming those rolls are going into printing plants? I've been into a couple of plants in the past and was intrigued as to how they kept the paper rolls from getting folded, spindled and mutilated.
Thar is pretty cool, but let me send you a couple of truck drivers that would turn that into scrap in a matter of minutes.
When I used to pick them up in van trailers they were on end. Seems like in a 48’ van they would put 8 rolls. I can’t remember maybe only 7. Used to get them as a back haul coming to the local newspaper.
That is neat!! but would never work in the places we do work at that handle paper rolls... the building are located about 40 foot off the main road so the trucks have to back up to angled loading docks and the grade goes down about 4 feet from the road elevation. They just don't have enough room(cheaper) for any kind of handling area like that would need.
Works like the old apple bin straddle trailers we had here in the PNW years ago. Used to see them all over between Yakima and Wenatchee. Lack of payload killed them off.
I see them once in awhile in season over there, but the big wood bins on flatbeds seem to be the common carrier now.
Those Germans sure come up with technical solutions to every problem. That is quite the rig, though I would hate to see the maintanence costs.
The six wheel independent on the trailer has to be a working mess. Standard of EU, enganear it to insanity.
Whenever you see a RGN lowboy video on Youtube there are always commenters saying how in Europe they have hydraulic this and that and steerable axles and on and on. Yes but here we have a few links and pins and hoses and we have a truck with only ramps and just ram it, the American way.
Take something typical from US heavy haulage (think bridge laws) and try navigating any road system in Europe that was probably originally built back in Roman times without "hydraulic this and that and steerable axles and on and on" and see how far you get. Probably as far as the first corner....... The fact of life over the other side of the Pond is that wide open spaces don't exist. Horses for courses. Driving hours regulations also play a part. Less time spent loading/unloading = more time spent driving.
I understand that Nige. I really like looking at the different ways European farmers resolve the same types of issues we deal with over here. Different types of equipment, or different ways of tackling the same problems. I'm always looking for a better method, if one exists.
I must confess the road on the first video is a bit wider and the second video has a stinger steered log dolly type trailer but it is not all wide open spaces here either. I'm sure if somebody needed to move that spool up a narrow road here they could find one of those Euro trailers to hire. But it seems like most everything is done with mechanical on a daily basis.
A nice little bit of manoeuvring into and out of a tight spot. Somehow I think that it's not the first time that crew have done it. I don't think the owner of the Mercedes @ 7:30 would have been too impressed how close the 349 got to his car, but then again what you don't know can't hurt you. He/she was probably in bed asleep.
What trailer make is that Nige, I cannot make out the name tag.
It looks like it's a Nooteboom, made in Holland. https://www.nooteboom.com/cat/eurotrailers/ Nooteboom and Faymonville out of Luxembourg ( https://www.faymonville.com/ ) have pretty well got the European specialized trailer market sewn up between them. It says a lot that a German outfit is using a Dutch trailer, I'm sure if there was an equivalent German one available they'd be using it. Another thing I have never seen before is a floodlighting system of the quality that's on the back of the tractor. Very handy when apparently most of your city pickups and drop-offs are going to be made at night.
Looks handy but heavy as all get out, saw a second vid where the tandems on the nose raise independently making the trailer more a detachable Neck trailer but steer even when up from fifth wheel position. Very slick.
I get the impression that the two axle dolly at the front is more to improve the manoeuvrability characteristics of the trailer in tight spaces than it is for out and out load carrying capacity. It certainly turns pretty tight for a rig that size.
We have our share of steerable lift axles, transfer dump boxes, extendable dump trailer hitches, switchable camber lift axles, and so on, and so forth! Here in NA! I guess my question about original video is: do they have separate truck going around and picking up those empty pallets? Or you have to have whole lot of those pallets to do exchange! Otherwise it just don’t make any sense!
Sorry, double post.
Came across a few interesting videos. Not necessarily trailers per se but showcasing the way transport is going on our side of The Pond. I do like that DAF Ecocombi outfit....... 60 tonnes (132,000 pounds) GCW. Impressive.
I always liked truck/trailer, it was very common years ago. But these days most refrigerated and dry freight has gone to drop and hook, live load/unload is becoming a thing of the past. That's one reason the company has double the amount of trailers to tractors. The E-Log and setting time at the dock doing it live burns to much time off the drivers clock.
I can see the efficiency of the paper roll trailer, especially on a dedicated route. I only see two problems. Most 'drivers' today would take an hour trying to back into one setting there loaded. It would need an auto steer reverse function for many of them to hit it. Around here I wonder how long the tray would slide with the salt and calcium chloride road mix spraying on them every day.
Back-up camera for the pintle hitch-is what would take place of poor depth perception.----And there we go with another gadget to take place of talent. But there already out there.
I also like the steerable axle on the back of the truck. Makes what would likely be quite tricky reversing the combo a hair easier. These type of trailers with steerable axles are very common over here. Not so common over there I'd guess. Also walking floors are becoming more popular than tippers for many types of materials.
Try reversing one of these. These guys make it look easy.......
At one time watched the yard monkeys back triples at PIE & Garrett in Salt Lake One Fella to prove could be done backed a set around the warehouse at Garrett. I admittedly have issues backing a farm wagon!! Do not do that often enough.
Some cool trucks and 2 cool drivers. I wonder if the tag/pusher axle will catch on here more in the future?
Really do not want to see more Rubber Band Drives as had in the sixties!! Tag Pushers here seem to be less demonstrably functional except to haul weight, tend to be heavy and somewhat awkward. Europe Engineers have gotten quite a handle on their designs but do not seem to make it to US markets. I really can appreciate the steerable trailer axles, are these floating/trailing to steer or directed to position? Mechanism off truck geometry to fifth wheel orientation?
Dunno. Need to investigate further. As you say they are neat. Note that the tyres are super-singles. I doubt that system would work anywhere near as well with duals. Answer - you can have single or double axle cable steering. Bulthuis KB21/KB31 cable steering is a forced steering on the rear axle. This is done with the help of a control cable from the fifth wheel coupling. The system can be used on 2-axle and 3-axle trailers with a steel or aluminum chassis. Or for 2-axle steering - The Bulthuis KBS32 steering is a system that consists of a tiller arm in combination with a control cable. The tiller arm runs from the fifth wheel to the front bogie, in combination with a steering cable connecting both bogies. This control can be used on steel and aluminum chassi https://www.vbtrailerbouw.nl/bulthuis/item/bulthuis-stuursystemen
Thanks Nige
Most US Build trailers are built EXTRA Light, as in Frameless so this may not be a option here. Fairly Complex platform but EU narrow secondary roadways would require such.
what beautiful roads! i did not see a single pothole or broken pavement in any of the videos. also, around here a lot of the signs would be damaged
They have Drivers, we have Herders.
Budapest was where i first saw a steerable rear axle on a big tour bus. it took me a while to figure out how they could get those big busses around tight corners without peeling the mirrors off or jumping curbs with the rear wheels
Well there is couple points about truck/trailer set ups that change backing up drastically. Single axle dollies with short draw bar is the toughest to back, any uneven terrain or just a few dollar sized rocks can cause it to dart quickly. Two axle dollies with a ten foot draw bar are about 100 times easier to back up, one axle counter acts the other because of drag. Really it's all about watching the direction of tires on the dolly more than watching the whole trailer when backing, Plus not over correcting. The longer the draw bar the slower the action on the dolly.
In my experience usually by bullet holes ....
Good point. Did you notice that the drawbar on the DAF rig seemed to be about 20ft long...... the hitch was hidden way under the back end of the truck.
I wonder what the price tag is on this..?
Expensive. We have a similar kind of trailer, and the price tag would make your eyes water.
For what it can do, and that'll be obviously reflected in the chargeout rate, I imagine it's worth every penny.
In one of the last shots it's shown going up a hill, and it's pretty flexible up and down. I would really wonder about the utility of it. It sure wouldn't take a point load very much.
I noticed they were fairly straight before they backed up. I wonder if the dolly under the tag trailer has a air actuated pin lock to keep it straight while backing up. The short wood log trucks with 4 wheel pup trailers nearly all run that feature here. Usually they back around empty on the landing before they load, but even loaded they are a dream to back up as long as you are not trying to cut them sharp.
One of my favorite truck/trailer rigs I use to work on years ago, Owned by the nick name {The Chrome Brothers} She sported a 3408 and ran like a bat. Notice the long draw bar and pintle hitch recessed under the bed. One other point by having the after frame on the truck with the pintle mounted there it takes little corrective steering to keep the trailer going in the direction wanted. Top photo. The fuel transports are my old place of employment {WWFC Walla Walla Farmers Co Op} now CHS. I bought all of these for the Co Op. The KW Transport I picked up used off a repo for $144,000 complete with 200,000 miles on it, all 1998 year with matching Beall front vessel and four axle Beall trailer. The truck had a 550 cat and 18 spd and every feature offered at the time. It was a Cadillac to drive and back up-notice the draw bar length and truck after frame. The three axle Peerless trailer even with the long draw bar was a bit to back. The three axle truck in the back ground I built, it was a four compartment bottom loader with meters and hose reels for farm delivery and set up to pull the Peerless three axle trailer. The 98 KW transport had a 5,400 gal front vessel and the trailer was 7,400, She could pack 11,300 gallons of gas max no dome out. That transport at the time it was built was $270,000.--$340,000 today.
We have similar trailers here (known as full trailers), I've heard stories about them having lockable bogies in the early days, but I've certainly never seen one with such. I don't think it's legal any more. And there's nothing quite like trying to back one off a busy street with everybody watching!
It's done here in some cases with A-Trains 40' lead with 20' pup, some are set up with a drop pin on the dolly turn table. Other wise known as a German Ring.
Apart from the sound a perfect illustration of why a manoeuvrable truck is an essential on European roads ....... wide they ain't..!!
This guy is a truck and trailer hand!
he`s got it down pat. but i bet he did`nt do it that fast the first time around
He did a good job no doubt-But I in that line of business it's to be expected. I seriously doubt he would try that with vans at least any vans that were straight. Loggers do have a tendency to lets say--abuse equipment.
Anybody in NZ or Australia who has driven a tipper learns pretty quick how to successfully jackknife the trailer. I've only had limited experience with tippers, but have spent many years driving flat-deck units where the same skills have come in handy countless times.
Definitely no shoulder to pull off on. What is that awful noise that sounds like gear grinding when it shifts? At first I thought it was the driver, but than I noticed that it auto shifted and made the same noise when his hands were in plain sight. I like the throaty engine sound.
That’s the Scania Opticruise box shifting. The transmission is a manual with a conventional clutch but shifts are electronically-controlled and are automatic. I think TS has referred to the type before as AMT. Not 100% sure but I’d guess the sound is the air shifter operating as it selects the next gear, or maybe a whiff of exhaust brake as the engine speed is sychronized to select the next gear. I see from the notes that the mike was mounted on the front of the trailer to capture the exhaust noise. That would put it right over the top of the transmission. That shifting noise isn’t usually so noticeable.