Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Well this doesn’t look good…

OVERTORQUED · 2021-01-18 16:12

I don't think this is what you want the ram to look like when you pull it apart... Any suggestions as to what caused this? Definitely change the filters but what is it going to do to the pump?

Replies21
  1. #1DB22021-01-18 16:18

    Looks like it was hitting something at the end of the stroke. Anything foreign fall out ?

  2. #2OVERTORQUED2021-01-18 16:36

    Not a thing fell out. There is some sort of plug I noticed, let me see if I can get a good pic.

  3. #3OVERTORQUED2021-01-18 16:46

    Can't get inside the tube but there something that looks like a plug ? It looks like it is what went through inside. Do they have pressure relief check ball on them sometimes?

  4. #4DB22021-01-18 17:25

    Not sure about that. What machine and which cylinder is it ? Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

  5. #5NH575E2021-01-18 19:43

    I wonder if someone thought it was a good idea to install a drain plug. I hate it for you but I feel much better about all the BS I went through on my last cylinder build.

  6. #6Bls repair2021-01-18 19:54

    I have some questions 1)is #1hollow ? 2)is #1 viewable inside barrel? 3)does #2 look like a factory weld or a repair ? 4)are other cylinders on machine similar to #1

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-01-18 20:27

    Isn't that whats left of a "O" ring boss fitting on a Case stabilizer cylinder ? No pressure reliefs on that one. If it is a stabilizer cylinder.

  8. #8OVERTORQUED2021-01-19 01:00

    480E and it’s a lift cylinder for bucket.

  9. #9OVERTORQUED2021-01-19 01:03

    1) not hollow 2) yes it was 3) factory 4) I’ll have to look. This was the last one I did- the others didn’t give a problem so I’ll have to look.

  10. #10OVERTORQUED2021-01-19 01:08

    I’m really starting to think that may have been it. It looks like a plug someone drove in and welded. Apparently didn’t realize it would interfere? At any rate there is a hole now because I drilled it out.

  11. #11OVERTORQUED2021-01-19 01:12

    Am I to hope the filter caught the pieces?

  12. #12Tinkerer2021-01-20 21:35

    Take it off and cut it open. Might be a good thing to change that filter a few times after you get it running again. I would cut every one of them open to see how much crap it is catching. I would remove all the piping and hoses from that cylinder to the filter and flush them out. There could be some big pieces lodged in them.

  13. #13OVERTORQUED2021-01-21 02:11

    Will definitely do that. Thanks all.

  14. #14OVERTORQUED2021-01-22 18:20

    Tried to locate a new piston - Case shows it but told me it was obsolete and of course discontinued. Couldn't find any left over stock either. Guess a good used one is my only option?

  15. #15colson042021-01-22 19:11

    We've had a machine shop make a new one for us before on an obsolete cylinder. It cost about the same as buying from the dealer in the end .

  16. #16OVERTORQUED2021-01-22 19:21

    Something I was considering - thanks.

  17. #17NH575E2021-01-22 20:49

    Search Ebay or some of the seal suppliers for the part number. I bought a new Piston for my crowd cylinder a while back and the more I searched the lower prices I found. Bought it from Fast Lift Parts for $108 shipped. Actually found one cheaper after I ordered but I don't remember the source. It's hard to believe your cylinder bore is not damaged beyond useful.

  18. #18Shimmy12021-01-22 21:35

    https://www.brokentractor.com/c/case-backhoe/hydraulics/ I didn't look, but if it's not listed maybe give them a call? If you could get part numbers, the site does have a part number search.

  19. #19OVERTORQUED2021-02-02 16:03

    Ended up taking it to local machine shop and he made the piston. Put another plug in it and welded it again- amazingly the bore was ok.

  20. #20NH575E2021-02-02 16:36

    Hopefully the new piston won't hit the new plug like the old one did.

  21. #21Tinkerer2021-02-03 08:40

    Does the opposite side cylinder have a plug in it to ?? I hope not.