Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wet Kit Oil

Preppypyro ยท 2012-09-24 08:56

Hey guys and gals, I have a 87 Western Star dump truck, and I took apart the pto pump to replace some seals. I dont know what was in there for oil, but I put some plain ol hydraulic oil in there that I had sitting around just to get me going. What Im wondering though, is winter is on its way, and Im thinking that the hydraulic oil I put in will be pretty thick, and I was curious if any of you guys run ATF in the system, or if not, what do you guys recomend? Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1johndeere1232012-09-24 11:17

    We run 10W universal in our tandems and tractors all year round. No problems yet.

  2. #2Preppypyro2012-09-24 23:01

    Thanks for the reply. It gets to be pretty cold here in the winters, minus 50 celcius being about the coldest. I take it there would be no issues with using atf at all?

  3. #3willie592012-09-24 23:18

    I've seen a number of machine manufacturers use ATF for hyd fluid over the years. Heck, in the old Sky Boom bucket trucks back in the 70's, the mfg would mix Kerosene with the ATF in their hyd fluid because the boom control circuit required such a light viscosity oil. Although it's an acceptable oil in hyd applications, ATF not particularly my favorite. I would prefer using the thinnest viscosity AW hyd oil you can get your hands on myself because AW has anti-wear and anti-foam additives that ATF doesn't have.

  4. #4coalroller2012-12-03 23:37

    i run atf in mine havent had any problems thats all we have ever ran. we dont run alot in the winter but when we do it works fine cold down here is -10 w/o wind chill. i will update when new truck arives with wet kit allready on it to see what it has in it.