Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Weyerhaeuser Company Logging Operations

Contract Logger · 2010-05-05 00:44

OK Here it is. Post your pics of Weywerhaeuser logging equipment and operations from any age or location in this thread. I have hundreds, OK, maybe thousands, and as I find and scan them I'll post, so keep checking this thread for the next 5 years or so....... Here's a starter pic: KW C500 at Longview Washington- pulling a train from Coldwater Satellite Yard to Camp Baker, about 1975. They had lots of these. Logs were hauled by singles --or salamanders from the tower landings off the mountaintops down to these satellite/surge yards. 8 or 10 trips per truck, only 5 to 10 mile hauls. Logs were unloaded and sorted at the surge yards. From the surge yards down the mainlines they ran these truck-trains. Hauls ranged 15 to 35 miles (one-way), but flat easy fast trucking! At Baker, logs were re-loaded onto the Weyerhaeuser Woods Railroad for the 40-mile trip to Longview.

Replies263
  1. #1trakloader2010-05-05 00:50

    A Weyerhoser thread! That's it, I'm packing up my pictures and leaving this forum! Just kidding, I'm curious to see what they ran down there. The only pics I've seen of their stuff, it's usually destroyed at Mt. St. Helens!

  2. #2Contract Logger2010-05-05 00:51

    Murk made me do it ointhead

  3. #3Contract Logger2010-05-05 01:03

    Weyco used lots of Washington 108's in all of thier operations in the 1970's. Here are a few from brochure scans, all Weyco-owned machines. At Longview they had at least 10 of these, and 5 were night logging equipped.

  4. #4trakloader2010-05-05 01:13

    I almost won that brochure on E-Bay. Missed it three times now!

  5. #5Contract Logger2010-05-05 01:18

    Well I scanned it to a PDF and if you want one, its only $19.95- but if you call now you can ge a second one ABSOLUTELY FREE! (in my Billy Mays voice) JK- I'll email you the PDF.

  6. #6Contract Logger2010-05-05 01:31

    Weyerhaeuser Salamanders When the landing would allow it- and most would, 3 trailers were sent into he mountains and loaded right under the chute even on steep-country tower landings. the empty trailers sat up- one on the truck and the other on the trailer- and it worked really well. These rigs were used at all the camps in the Longview Division- Camp Baker, 12 Road, 19 Mile, and Camp Kalama. All but Kalama had the Weyco Railroad running into them and all the trains and trucks ran standard 10' off highway bunks. Here's a good shot of a 'Weyco Sally' as they were called.

  7. #7Contract Logger2010-05-05 01:49

    Some of the Woods Railroad that hauled all the logs.......

  8. #8Contract Logger2010-05-05 01:54

    Modern Weyco pics.

  9. #9Contract Logger2010-05-05 02:06

    Madill 071 at 12 Road (South Fork Toutle River, SW Washington) 1987. They had 2 Madill 071's at Longview, and 2 West Coast Falcons as well. Here's a bad shot of one of the 071's, along with its Weyco-shop built tailhold Cat D8H. If you just shop-build a canopy and put a mast on it is it still ROPS certified, lol? Longview painted a bunch of thier yarders green one year- 009's at least 1 Berger, even Skagits and Washingtons. I have pics of those but need to find them.... Tower was apparently recently replaced.

  10. #10Contract Logger2010-05-05 02:15

    Here's a real peach. Take a railroad tank car and cut it up so you can stuff some trailer axles and a kingpin under it. This was one of the 12 Road water trucks- they had several and all were real dandies. Mack DM800 too beat to haul any more logs apparently. They had lots of these Mack DM800's too.

  11. #11Contract Logger2010-05-05 02:23

    12 Road Camp after the Mountain. No blast trouble- just heavy flooding. There were about 45 off-road truck here that day, Mack DM800's and C500 KW's. Most were saved to work again. After some attention, of course.

  12. #12N.B.CONCRETE2010-05-05 11:32

    Amazin'

  13. #13macktuf19732010-05-05 20:57

    great picture favorite truck mack dm800.

  14. #14Murk1002010-05-05 22:00

    This is funny S##t !! now you old M&B guys have somewhere to stitch and bitch keep that MacBlo thread nice and clean:drinkup

  15. #15Contract Logger2010-05-10 23:36

    Weyerhaeuser Trucks Continued Dont know what the HEF deal is but I sure have problems getting on these days.... Anyway some more scans from the early 80's. Weyco used alot of KW trucks for loggers, lowbeds, etc through the uears, but at Longview also ran a large fleet of Mack DM800's. Lots of dump trucks (road crew used 700-series numbers, off-road loggers used 400 series, lowbeds, mechanics, line trucks etc used 300 series). Heres KW Lowbed #367 with a 100-ton trailer, and a bunch of road crew DM800's. Pics taken at Camp 12 on the South Fork, Toutle River.

  16. #16Contract Logger2010-05-11 00:09

    Items from the Road Crew The road maintenence crews had a large fleet of equipment. The 'Longview Tree Farm' took in around 700,000 acres in those days, and who knows how many miles of road.

  17. #17Contract Logger2010-05-11 00:40

    12 Road Camp, May 1980 Sorry for the random order, I just keep looking in boxes and finding old pics, scans, etc. Here are more of the off-road loggers at 12 Road after the mud flood. South Fork, Toutle River, Washington.

  18. #18Contract Logger2010-05-11 01:11

    Washington 98 and Washington TL-6 The Washington Model 98 was a slightly smaller version of the 108 (earlier), and Weyco Longview had a couple of them. The numeric system went 100-series numbers for loading shovels and 200-series numbers for yarding equipment. Here we have Yarder 259- a Washington 98, and Shovel 154- a TL-6, both waiting for an assignment, parked at 19-Mile Camp (Kid Valley) in 1981. Someplace I have a bunch more pics of this yarder..........

  19. #19Contract Logger2010-05-11 01:27

    Yarder 220 in 1978 Yarder 220, a Washington 108 on rubber, resting in the rain in one of the Camps. The big Washington 208 had been tipped over and was cut up shortly after the pic was taken. I dont know the Weyco number. I was paying alot less attention to such things in those days

  20. #20Contract Logger2010-05-11 01:41

    Yarder 218, a Washington 158 Yarder 218 was a Washington 158 Highlead Yarder, and I was told one of the early 158 yarders to be delivered. Last I saw it was working out of the White River Operation east of Enumclaw. Couple good pics of her here anyway.

  21. #21Contract Logger2010-05-11 02:00

    Later Yarders #205 and #206 In the 1970's yarders #205 and #206 were both track-mounted Washington 108 night loggers, and both were working out of Camp Baker on the North Toutle River. Someplace I have pics of them with the numbers clearly visible. By the late 1980's however, 2 tank-mounted Madill 009's had taken over these numbers. (I know at least one of the 108's was lost in Mt St Helens in May 1980). Here, yarder 205 rests in the brush waiting for the scrapper, which did come in 1993.

  22. #22Contract Logger2010-05-11 02:11

    Yarder 206 (1993) Here are some shots of Weyco yarder 206 in 1993. From here she went back east to dragline in a rock pit.

  23. #23Contract Logger2010-05-11 02:15

    Yarder 207, Washington 118, converted to 188 Weyerhaeuser bought several of the early Washington 118's, and they logged with them through the 80's in several Weyco Camps. Here is Yarder #207, last seen at Snoqualmie Falls in 2001. It had been converted/upgraded to 188 by this time. I dont know where it wound up. Pics taken 1993.

  24. #24Contract Logger2010-05-11 02:40

    Yarder 205 in 1975, Washington 108 with Night Lights! This is one of my favorite childhood pictures! Yep, that would be me standing there in front of that 108 Skylock Yarder, track mounted, no less. This pic was taken on the Upper Toutle in a place that is now under 200 feet of mud. Riding around in that country as a kid was my favorite thing....... I should make that my avatar.....I was 8 or 9 I guess in that pic if I have the year right. It may have been earlier than 75'!

  25. #25RonG2010-05-11 03:54

    Great pics as usual,this site now uses a large chunk of my day. What did they do with the brush in those days?I haven't noticed any large brush piles or maybe I have not been paying attention.Ron G

  26. #26macktuf19732010-05-11 06:54

    thank you very much great picture mack dm800 and kenworth the best machine heavy-duty .

  27. #27macktuf19732010-05-11 07:01

    the mack rd600 drove father truck. macktuf1973.:thumbsup:thumbsup

  28. #28580bruce2010-05-11 08:47

    Can't tell you how much I enjoy your pics!I grew up next to Black Diamond Wa.Many summer mornings I would wake up to the drone of a skidder,or a tooter,way off it the foothills.Many trips to the woods to watch when I could!

  29. #29JeremyM702010-05-11 12:13

    Awesome pictures as always! So where are or were Camp 12, Camp Baker, Camp Coweeman, and Camp Kalama? I assume they are all leveled by now? I found Headquarters Camp last year. Also I found Camp Arnold (?) just north of Castle Rock on the east side of I5. Where would the LV tree farm would park equipment at these days, like the yards I found at Pe Ell and Cosmopolis? Thanks!

  30. #30Iron Art2010-05-11 12:33

    Weyco C.C., Boy those Weyco pictrures bring back a lot of memories, Thank goodness for the fact that we were putting a roof on my dads new house on the morning of May 18th or we would have been on our way up to the So Coldwater ridge. That would not have been good!! Fred

  31. #31John C.2010-05-11 19:50

    I think camp 12 was up the Toutle and if not grown over with brush now would be along highway 504, the tourist road to the Mt. St. Helens observatory. Weyerheauser has sold out of a large portion of their holdings and word in the industry says they might sell out more. The Snoqualmie and White River tree farms were sold to Hancock Resources a few years ago and access is restricted in those areas. All the Weyerheauser gear is gone. The camps that are left in Washington State are the Pe Ell/Raymond farms, Vale tree farm which is southeast of Yelm, Cosmopolis tree farm out of Aberdeen and LongView/Kalama down by the Columbia River. The big shops and mills are pretty much gone now also. Vale had a train shop that was torn down sometime in the nineties and the equipment shops were removed six or seven years ago. All the mechanics work out of service trucks and a big part of the repair work is done by independents. I haven't been through the Cosmopolis shop in years but the pulp mill that is next to the shops was shut down about five years ago. The Bay City sorting and export yard in Aberdeen was shut down about a year ago and you couldn't find a stick there now. The building for the Aberdeen mill is still there but the Snoqualmie and Enumclaw mills are gone. All that is a whole lot of unemployed people now. The Lazy W was easy for a lot of people to hate but they provided a huge number of jobs for the state. A big portion of house payments and my kid's college tuition was paid for with overtime working on Weyerheauser equipment. What we always felt was that when the lazy W decided to do the hostile take over of Willamette Industries they over extended their finances and needed cash flow. Shortly after the sell offs started happening.

  32. #32JeremyM702010-05-11 21:19

    I plan to get up to MSH this summer and spend some quality time looking around to find the remaining equipment that got left up there after 1980. I went into the PeEll yard last week, still looks pretty busy there. The gals in the office confirmed the selling off property rumor, when I asked about getting a map for their farm. Lots of equipment in the yard, got some pictures. Raymond mill is still operating. Cosmopolis mill is dead as you said, their shop is still running with some equipment in the yard, however I got booted out when I asked to take pictures.

  33. #33John C.2010-05-11 23:00

    As I recall the Raymond mill has the last large double cut mill on the west coast. I was told they could cut a 72" log still, if anybody could find one. I don't know if that saw is still there all of the lazy W went to small log production in the nineties. You could have sat on the road and taken pictures of what was in the yard at Cosi. I've had to work with the guy that runs that shop and usually he is pretty tolerant. However, some of the woods bosses probably might frown on you snapping photos without knowing who you are. I know there has been some vandalism out that way in the past also which might make them a little nervous. It's good that you asked before walking around in there. Drop a line on the thread before you head out next time and I might be able to give you a heads up on where to look. Most of the area around Raymond is open to all. You can follow the whistles or an empty logging truck to a working side. Just make sure you have a CB before getting off the pavement.

  34. #34Contract Logger2010-05-11 23:47

    Longview Camp Locations Sorry for the delay Jeremy, had trouble getting on HEF again tonight. Here is a rundown on the Camps, as they were after 1960 anyway, from south to north: Camp Kalama: Up Kalama River Road and off the end of the blacktop. You'll know when you get there, the asphalt pad (sort yard) is huge on your right hand side. I just looked on Google Earth and it is clearly visible. Kalama was a truck camp, while Weyco owned right-of-way for a railroad in there, it was never built. Off-road trucks hauled from around 12 yarder sides to the sort yard, then wood was sorted and went on to Longview on highway trucks. Headquarters Camp: At the top of Headquarters Road, just 5 or so miles east of I-5. This was the Railroad Headquarters for many years (since 1928 actually) and all of the locomotive shops were here until the late 70's when things moved in to Longview. Wood was re-loaded here from off-road trucks to the rail cars. Also lots of offices, equipment shops, and other buildings. 12 Mile, or Road 12: Named for its location- 12 miles east of I-5. Right out South Toutle Road, rather than go left under the trestle, go right on the 4100 rd. This was a big camp, large sort yard, ran 40+ trucks from 15 or 16 yarder sides. Still very visible easily on Google Earth also, at the 4100/4200 junction there. Railroad ran right into the yard. Big shops, office buildings, etc. 19 Mile Camp: Just north of Kid Valley, 19 miles east of I-5 at the confluence of the Green River and North Fork Toutle. Big camp, sort yard, full shop facilities, etc. Railroad ran right through yard, camp (headed toward Baker). Logs came off the Green River/Winston drainages by truck into the yard, then to town on the rail. Camp Baker. Grand-daddy of all the Longview camps. I was told at one point there were 20 company yarder/tower sides working out of the Baker operation- and I believe it. A huge fleet of Weyco off-road trucks. The railroad ended at Baker, and the sort yard area there was just plain huge. I'll post pics later. Camp/yard was built in the 50's but exploded in the 60's in sized. All the big name contractors had trucks/equipment and offices there -Roy Filla, Ben Thomas, Jensen&Grove, Gould's, etc. You get the idea. In 1980 it was outside the blast zone, but was completely wiped out by the flooding. From the Hoffstadt Bluffs Visitor Center parking lot you are looking down in the valley right into it. The dam above Kid Valley is flooding that whole plain and Baker will be under water completely soon- alot of it is now. Hope that helps. It's getting late, I'll post a few more pics and hit the rack!

  35. #35Contract Logger2010-05-12 00:06

    Camp Baker Yard, July 10, 1980 These pics should be in the Mt St Helens thread, but here is Baker being dug-out of the flood mud 3 months after it happened. there are railroad log cars strewn up-and- down that valley still today. The railroad and camp were not re-built after this, but rather were abandoned. 45+ log trucks were swept downstream and many are just today being found in eroded river-banks.

  36. #36Contract Logger2010-05-12 00:12

    More Baker Scenes.

  37. #37580bruce2010-05-12 00:17

    There was a landfill built at the Headquaters site in the early 90s.I did a bunch of hydroseeding there.It was for waste from their pulp operation in Longview I think.There was a few pieces of iron there at that time.I remember a d-3 with a winch on it way back in the bushes?What did they ever do with a d-3?

  38. #38Contract Logger2010-05-12 00:38

    Landfill is still there- and growing. Now, Cowlitz County is considering purchase of it for a regional garbage landfill. Hopefully that doesnt happen (close to Silver Lake). Weyco is currently shipping the mill waste up there on the railroad- hauling in reverse, lol. On the D3, who knows. There used to always be yarders and trucks and shovels parked around Headquarters Camp- out by the shops, etc.

  39. #39Contract Logger2010-05-12 00:43

    Grapple Logging at Weyerhaeuser Longview, 1992 Yarder #210 (Madill 123), Shovel #140 (Link-Belt LS4300) and Tailcat #514 (Cat D8H), grapple yarding just out of Headquarters on the 1600 line, pics taken about 1992! Side note-- They still have this yarder today, working there at the LV, in 2010.

  40. #40Contract Logger2010-05-12 00:58

    Tailhold Cat 536 Weyerhaeuser always had lots and lots of tailhold cats around for the yarder crews to hang off of. Here's a shot of Longview Cat #536 in the woods before a paint-job, and at the Longview truck-shop after one. 1988 or so. A little paint goes a long ways.....

  41. #41Contract Logger2010-05-12 01:05

    Tailhold Cat #552 These pics are a little better, taken on the North Toutle River, of Cat #552, a D8K, with good view of the mast this time.

  42. #42Contract Logger2010-05-12 01:37

    Yarder #220 in 1985, a Skagit BU-737 Highlead During my years at Longview I witnessed 3 different yarders using the #220 designation. 1st one was a 108 Washington (pics earlier in this thread), 2nd one was a Skagit GT-4 on tracks (with night lights, a Camp Kalama machine), then finally this Skagit BU-737 on a Self-Propelled T-100 carrier. This yarder used the #220 designation from 1984 until it was sold off about 1990. In the 1st pic it was working in the Abernathy Creek area (with several other yarders) and the 2 second pics were taken in 1990 at the Headquarters Camp shops. (Notice the 'Yarder 220' painted on the tube where 'Skagit' can be seen in the 1st pic). Also- yarder #235- a Washington 127W is parked along side it. Longview had several of these 127's for awhile right after the mountain blew

  43. #43Contract Logger2010-05-12 01:51

    Washington 118, Link-Belt LS5800 I saw this yarder around the Longview (Ostrander) area while on many hunting trips, but never did know the number on it (no stickers or numbers). It was around there until the Madill 123 (Yarder 210) took over about 1990. It was gone one day and I have no idea where it went. They logged with it right there for about 7 years between Ostrander and Headquarters Camp through the 80's. Yarder #207, seen previously in this thread, was a different machine. The last time I saw this yarder it had been painted 'Terex Green'- wish I had a pic! Tailhold Cat #536, seen previously, always stayed with this yarder. Also-- Through the 80's the big early LS5800 Link-Belts took over most of the log loading duties at Longview. There were a few exceptions, not too many.

  44. #44Murk1002010-05-12 22:32

    Great stuff as usual Contract Logger:drinkup I like the left hand cab, what make and model? I can sure see where Madill and Cypress got some of their Ideas

  45. #45Contract Logger2010-05-12 22:41

    Its a Washington 118, Weyco had quite a few of them (all on rubber)-- 2 at Springfield Ore, 2 at Longview WA, at least 1 at Snoqualmie WA, and I saw 3 others at the Weyerhaeuser liquidation yard at Maytown Washington around 1986- but they had been painted (no stickers or numbers) and I dont know which camps they came out of:beatsme

  46. #46Contract Logger2010-05-12 22:51

    Skagit GT-5's at Weyerhauser Weyerhaeuser Longview Yarder #223 shown here was a Skagit GT-5. Weyco had a bunch of these machines- several at Longview (Baker and Kalama Camps each had 2 or 3) but also at Grays River and Cosmopolis, maybe elsewhere. I included both before and after shots. This machine is still there, above Castle Lake in the canyon.

  47. #47Contract Logger2010-05-12 22:59

    Yarder #227 and Shovel #129 Longview Yarder #227 was/is a Madill 009 on 4-axle rubber, and still rests on Coldwater Ridge near Mt St Helens. I have no pics of these machines before the mountain blew, so these will have to do.

  48. #48Murk1002010-05-12 23:02

    Looking at your St.Hellens disaster pics, man alive there was sure alot of huge beautiful Fir logs and trees distroyed up there what % was salvaged or did most of it rot away? (guess all the infastructure was washed or blown away)

  49. #49Contract Logger2010-05-12 23:04

    Yarder #226, a Madill 046 Tank Mount Yarder 226 was a big Madill 046 on tank, one of several 046's owned by Weyerhaeuser at Longview. Here's a scanned pic of it before the mountain blew, and another after the blast.

  50. #50Contract Logger2010-05-12 23:09

    Yarder #228, a Madill 009 on Rubber Yarder #228 (twin-sister to the #227, still on the Mountain) is seen here in 1992 near 19 Mile Camp. As you can see she was yellow at one point, but re-painted orange and white. Also- like #227 it has the 7-guyline option.

  51. #51JeremyM702010-05-12 23:10

    CL do you know if the GT-5 is off one of the trails? I'd like to find it this summer and also catch the 009 by Coldwater.

  52. #52Contract Logger2010-05-12 23:18

    I hiked in there last in 1995. The tailhold Cat D8H is there as well as a fire truck. To get there you need to get up high on the 3000 road- which runs the ridgetop between the North and South Forks of the Toutle. Take the 4100 to the 4250 and all the way up to the 3000 (on Signal Peak). Once you get above Castle Lake you can see the yarder in the canyon, its about 2000 feet below- Really Really Rough Going! No trail, just down and cross-country. My frien brought his wife along and I wasnt sure if she was going to make it. She did, and was a real trooper. It will take all day and you would not be able to do it and Coldwater the same day. I cannot see the yarder on Google Earth- frustrating because I know right where it lays!! As you get closer PM me and I'll get you in there (verbally, lol)- if you really want to go:drinkup

  53. #53Contract Logger2010-05-12 23:27

    Yarder #229, Madill 009 on Tank Mount Here is another one of the 'Green Machines' as we used to call them. Around 86' or 87' somebody at Longview decided to re-paint some of the equipment. Terex green must have been on sale, because a bunch of gear got painted this way, no apparent discrimination between brands either! Cat #509 is also clearly seen here, I didnt see the shovel number. Pic was taken on the 1600 line about 5 miles out of Headquarters Camp. Anyway Yarder #229 got caught in the blast zone on the Green River (19-Mile Camp Territory) and was factory yellow at that time. The green 2 pics here were taken in 1988 and are aging terribly, as you can see. I wish I'd had them scanned 10 years ago

  54. #54Contract Logger2010-05-12 23:44

    Yarder #229, 1980 Here's a pic of the same machine coming off of the mountain in 1980. The lower tube section had 'Skookum' left painted on it.

  55. #55Contract Logger2010-05-12 23:59

    Yarder #230 was a mixed-breed. It was a Madill 009 hoist, mounted on a Berger trailer with 100' telescoping tower. It originally was a Camp Kalama machine and in the early 80's the top tube section was painted red and white striped like a barber-pole or a candy-cane. I have no pics of this. Later, the machine was repainted orange and white and 'Berger King' was painted down the front of the tube, lower section this time. in 1987 the whole works was painted green like #229. It was pulled/tipped over shortly after, and got cut up at Headquarters Camp around 1992.

  56. #56Contract Logger2010-05-13 00:09

    Yarder #231 in 1987. Here's a 1987 shot of Longview Yarder #231, a Madill 009 on rubber, along with a Link-Belt LS5800TL whose number I dont know:beatsme in about 1990 the number 231 designation was given to a Washington 208, I have a pic or 2 someplace, and the Madill disappeared, probably sold or cut up. The new #231 (Washington 208) was working at Vail when it was tipped over and it was cut up for scrap in the Vail yard around 1993.

  57. #57trakloader2010-05-13 00:09

    I think them pics might be backwards. But you're right, Madill shamelessly copied many of Washington's ideas. Their rubber mounts in particular show a strong Washington influence.

  58. #58JeremyM702010-05-13 00:12

    CL this is awesome! I can see more road trips in my future, even if there's nothing there I'd still like to see. I started a public Google map with locations of past and current SW Washington Weyco camps, yards, eruption damaged equipment, etc. Feel free to take a look, make comments, changes, or additions. I guess I am sort of a visual map sort of guy that likes to see the whole layout, especially with Google Maps. Let me know if this link works.

  59. #59JeremyM702010-05-13 00:23

    OK you might have just talked me out of it Aren't most of those Weyco roads gated now anyway? I had a key years ago to get up to Elk Mt, but it's long expired. I'll just stick with #227 after Memorial Day when I get rid of my electronic leash and can wander the countryside again. I plan on adding more to my map this weekend.

  60. #60Contract Logger2010-05-13 00:40

    It is worththe hike, and yes I would do it again! I would just rather you were aware before of the terrain, not during, lol. I would say go for it, just take lots of water. Oh, and lots of camera batteries. There is felled timber in there that lays bucked on both ends, ready to load, 12' easy on the butt! The pain of the climb out of that hole is way worth the hike! On the way down we found a blasted Euclid C6 upside down, its really cool also.

  61. #61Contract Logger2010-05-13 00:47

    Hey- this works great! I wish I could mark on it, or better yet make mine public- I tagged all the camps and yards and etc on one of my own! PM me how to do it and I'll post!

  62. #62Humptulips2010-05-13 03:32

    We were shipping logs to this mill around 96. They took us on a tour of the mill one day, never saw anything like that. All they took were small logs. I think they had a 28" max and a 8" min The old mill could cut some big logs but its gone, replaced by the one there now. Not sure when but before the 90s.

  63. #63Iron Art2010-05-13 12:27

    Jeremy, Access to Castle lake is open year around on the 3000 line the last time I checked. I believe that a hiking trail has been constructed from where you park to the UPPER end of the lake, if so, it would be just a easy hike to where #223 is laying on its side. Brush is really starting to grow there so you might need to look around a little. I looked at your map but couldn't make out the yarder but I could see where its at. Back when we were fishing the lake, It was every bit as bad as described as far as access to it. Fred

  64. #64Contract Logger2010-05-13 21:44

    Fred & Jeremy- If I still lived in Washington I would buy you both breakfast at the Rose Tree one Saturday morning and Hike in there with you! And anybody else that wanted to go. And our dogs! I hope you are right, a trail in there would be a real treat. Still- the elevation loss, then re-gain, is a real killer trail or no trail. They built a road from the 3000 line to the Toutle-end of the lake, but it is gated. 3 miles from the gate to the lake, then you are on the wrong end. We always thought it would be fun to drive to the gate, mountain-bike the 3 mile road, then blow up a rubber raft and paddle to the yarder. The older I get the better this idea sounds! Still it would be a full day, but boy, that climb out of there (when I think back I get sore thinking about it....)

  65. #65JeremyM702010-05-13 22:34

    Sounds like quite a trip, yet I may have to try it yet. Does this sound like the right trail? http://www.vtrail.com/byalphabet/ctrails/castlelake.html And which side of the lake is the GT-4 on? Thanks!

  66. #66Contract Logger2010-05-13 23:02

    Weyerhaeuser Yarder #231, 1992 at Vail This is the Yarder #231, Washington 208 that turned over at Vail. If you look closely you can see the twist in the frame. I heard once what happened, but cannot remember for sure- I think a guyline broke and the whole works came down. Anyway it was scrapped right here where it sits in this pic, at the Vail yard, out behind the shops.

  67. #67Contract Logger2010-05-13 23:13

    That's it! and wow, detailed directions into the 3000 road. The yarder lays right along the creek, where the creek flows into the lake. It's a GT-5, not a GT-4, and its big- huge, actually- you won't miss it if you get that far down in there. Night lights in the boom and everything! The lines run right into the lake, and water was lapping at the grapple in 1995- it may even be underwater by now. As you stand there, you should be aware that there is a Washington 108 grapple yarder rigged up on that same road- downstream a mile and completely underwater. I saw a picture of the top 30' or so of the boom sticking out of the lake once- but by the time I got there it was all underwater- we think it's the machine I am standing in front of earlier in this thread.:beatsme

  68. #68Contract Logger2010-05-13 23:44

    Yarder 223, GT-5, at Castle Lake Jeremy- here is a pic I drew on of that spot in 1980. The logs are decked up all along the road there for a mile and they are HUGE some of them- old-growth fir. Big wood in that canyon before the mountain. Castle Creek flowed freely into the North Toutle but the mudflow and logs/debris dammed the creek and the lake was formed over the next few years. Who knows what is in there for equipment, at least another yarder and tailhold cat are for sure. It is worth the trip in there, no doubt. It just requires some stamina and determination.

  69. #69Contract Logger2010-05-13 23:53

    Here's a better pic, notice all the big wood decked around there.....

  70. #70JeremyM702010-05-14 00:01

    OK I'm looking at the lake on Google, is it the creek on the NE corner that the GT5 is by?

  71. #71Contract Logger2010-05-14 00:03

    Yes- right at the head of the canyon there. I dont know why that yarder doesnt show up, it should. Theres a cat D8 and a fire truck there also.

  72. #72JeremyM702010-05-14 00:24

    OK, I added where I think it is to the map. I am trying to find the #227 on the satellite photo now and tag it as well.

  73. #73Contract Logger2010-05-14 00:25

    I saw it last night. It's easy, and there are 2 fire trucks and a Cat D8H parked right near it too.

  74. #74Contract Logger2010-05-14 00:53

    I just looked and your arrow is in the wrong place- its the other end of the lake- right where the creek flows into the lake. In the big canyon. I cannot figure out how to mark on your map.

  75. #75Contract Logger2010-05-14 00:59

    Yarder #232 and Shovel #101 in 1980 Yarder #232 at Camp Baker, Longview Branch, was a Madill 009 on rubber, and was working on Coldwater with Shovel 101- a Bucyrus-Erie 38B with Young Boom. I dont have a pic of it before, but here is a good 'after'! Later, a Washington 208 was aquired and numbered 232, worked the big salvage operation and was transferred to PeEll or somwhere. It wound up at Ramsey in Chehalis and eventually went dredging....... The second pic shows the 208, in pieces, with the 232 number on the cab.

  76. #76JeremyM702010-05-14 01:01

    Found a nice little trip report to Coldwater with pictures. http://www.w7zoi.net/coldwtr.pdf Also here are some Weyco pictures.

  77. #77JeremyM702010-05-14 01:08

    I think I would need to email you an invitation to be a collaborator to tweak the map. Just moved it to the other side of the lake and further south, think that's it?

  78. #78Iron Art2010-05-14 12:52

    I looked at a forest map with the Castle lake trail marked on it. This map showed the trail accessing the lake on the east side of the lake nearer the outlet end(north). Thats not where you want to go. About the best way is to go down the hogback, straight down to the inlet of the lake(south end)from the parking lot. That yarder will be in the bottom of the draw on your left as you go down that hogback. It is very steep an has serveral cliffs so you will need to be careful and work your way around them. When you get to the bottom of this ridge you would need to hook to the left and go up and accross the next draw a short distance and you should find the yarder. Take water! Fred

  79. #79JeremyM702010-05-14 18:57

    Thanks for the info Fred, it sounds like an adventure. CL put the correct location on my Google Maps, along with a ton of other cool locations both current and past from Weyco history.

  80. #80JeremyM702010-05-16 02:25

    So is the Vail yard still in operation? From Google Maps, it still looks active, but the picture is 4 years old. Does look like there is a Madill swing yarder in there.

  81. #81Contract Logger2010-05-16 02:51

    Sorting yard closed in 1998- I actually personally loaded the last load of logs out of there. Vail operation is still going, and that's a big operation- it includes all the Mineral and Eatonville holdings as well. Used to be able to drive on the mainlines from Vail yard right out through Eatonville to Mt Ranier, and to Cinnebar and out to Morton and Mineral- all off highway. Thousands of miles of Weyco road systems- all locked up tight nowadays though. The Vail townsite was right there where the shops and the new yard show. The original sort yard, the truck-to-rail reload yard, was out the mainline (I marked that too) looks like at least 2 yarders parkd out there in the pic!

  82. #82Contract Logger2010-05-16 02:56

    Those were fun days working at Vail!

  83. #83JeremyM702010-05-16 17:33

    Nice. Is the yard very accesible to get in take some pictures? Or any secret back ways like at Pe Ell

  84. #84John C.2010-05-16 21:25

    If you are coming from the south take the Tenino exit at Grand Mound. Follow that through Tenino. The road will Y with the right side going to Rainier and Yelm. Just before you get to Rainier will be the Vail Loop Rd. on the right. I don't remember the milage but it's probably no more than fifteen minutes to the shops. The log yard used to be on the left side of the road but all you will see now is brush. The shops would also be on the left. You will hit a ninety degree turn in the road and go about a quarter mile and see a big gravel road with a big gate on the right. That is the main line, the shops are to the left and that road is open. I doubt you will see any equipment there as the shops are gone and all the equipment stays in the woods. But you never know for sure. The management offices are there for the entire tree farm though and you might be able to stop in on a week day and ask some questions. Most of the people I dealt with there are real nice. I wouldn't recommend any trips up the main line without a guide or at least a map. You can get lost up there and have a heck of a time finding your way back out. You would absolutely need a CB radio as the logging trucks don't have any patience for tourists. Good Luck

  85. #85JeremyM702010-05-17 01:22

    Thanks for the info John, might just still have to check it out to see if I get lucky. Here's a site of Weyco Mt St Helens equipment before and after pictures that a retired employee took. Got to meet him last year and have lunch at the Oak Tree in Woodland and hear some great stories.

  86. #86JeremyM702010-05-24 20:13

    Made the trip up to Vail today, stopped in the woods office. Saw lots of pickups, few log trucks, some water trucks, and a couple shovels way off on the other side. Asked about driving around in the yard to take some pictures but the right person wasn't there to let me look around. Took another drive thru Camp Arnold to see if there was any equipment, but just trucks, crummies, water trucks, and shop/fueling trucks. So yet another disappointing day trying to breach Weyco However lots of success other places, so see other threads!

  87. #87JeremyM702010-06-24 01:25

    Took a drive up there yesterday and found Castle Lake, however the steep cliffs kind of dissuaded me from doing it. Next time I will find a buddy and do it as I didn't want to do it myself with no one around and limited to no cell coverage.

  88. #88Contract Logger2010-09-04 17:01

    Weyerhaeuser Macks. Weyerhauser highway-style Macks. In the late 1970's Weyerhaeuser bought a bunch of highway Macks in several of the camps. Longview had some and 2 were lost in the yard at 12-Mile when the mountain blew. Just for kicks I built a 1/25th version a couple weeks ago of one of these Macks. I was careful to use Kenworth battery box and fuel tanks, as the Weyco Longview trucks were ordered as glider kits and used the KW boxes and tanks. Trailer is standard Peerles long logger. Both kits are readily available, I usually buy mine on ebay for cheap. Details (hoses, gladhands, lights, exhaust, etc were all added a week or so after I took these pics. Now she's on a shelf with a bunch of other Weyerhauser trucks/equipment I have in the office. I'm working on a Washington TL-6 and Skagit GT-5 to display her with.

  89. #89Iron Art2010-09-04 18:34

    Contract Logger, You havn't lost your touch, nice looking truck, I saw a few of those on Weyerhauser land. Fred PS Have you seen the Tigercat that I just completed in the Scratchbuilt thread??

  90. #90Contract Logger2010-09-05 13:45

    Fred- That Tigercat is absolutely awesome. just curious what it weighs?? What are you gonna do with it? It has to be worth big bucks, but for the builder sometimes parting with it isnt even an option. My truck is a cheap and easy plastic kit. Your Tigercat is a big, heavy, metalwork more along the lines of fabrication/sculpture/art. Not even on the same planet! Hats off again!

  91. #91jm892010-09-06 23:14

    Could you post a link? id like to see that.

  92. #92JeremyM702010-09-06 23:19

    Post 67

  93. #93Iron Art2010-09-07 00:33

    Contract Logger, The Tigercat weights 16 lbs, while I was at it I put the Madill 046 on the scales at 36 lbs. What am I going to do with it?? ,there is a toy show in Harrisburg OR that I'm planning on taking it to. after that, don't know. This is taking this thread a long ways away from Weyerhauser, On your log truck, did you make the decals? Fred

  94. #94HCF2010-12-05 17:11

    Drove up the little fall creek ML and went all the way out the 500 line today. Got some cool pics of a Weyco shovel logging side. Had a couple 3800 madills a big older komatsu pc300 I think and a nice link belt. Drove about 10 miles further and ran into a nice tower side. I think it was a Rice logging side out of Sweet Home Or. 330C shovel TY90 tower and a 330 or similar sized stroker on the other side of the tower. They were set up in the road so I only got a couple pics. I'll try and post all of them tonight when I get home. I actually got good pics this time on my digi cam. Haha.

  95. #95JeremyM702010-12-05 17:53

    Nice looking forward to seeing the pictures! All the Weyco logging sites up here are behind locked gates during the weekend and I don't have a gate key anymore. Do you have Weyco maps for the tree farms down in Oregon? Just wondering where I would find them? Not that I would ever make it down that way to visit, just be interesting to see where all they have property.

  96. #96Contract Logger2010-12-05 18:21

    Some 'Oregon Weyerhaeuser' Mack truck pics. Dellwood Operation, 1970's. B Model from the late 1960's. R Model from the mid- 1970's.

  97. #97HCF2010-12-05 19:59

    I think my dad has some old maps somewhere. He used to do road surveys for them in the early ninetys. I really am not sure why the gates have been open lately. I figure they're having animal damage to their re-prod and I think it's still bow or blackpowder season for elk around here. I didn't see anybody working in the first 8 miles of the ML and 14 miles of the 500 line. Thought I could have heard a dump truck off in the distance but I'm not sure. The ownership of sections out there are scattered. Didn't hear any whistles being punked either. I should be home soon to post the pics I took today.

  98. #98580bruce2010-12-05 20:25

    I love the B-model pic! Didnt Weyco use all Macks at one time?

  99. #99HCF2010-12-05 20:30

    thats the shovel logging side. I believe it was a company side. Don't think they let company guys work with contract guys.

  100. #100HCF2010-12-05 20:33

    I think that this is one of Rice loggings towers out of Sweet Home Oregon. Hope you guys like the pics :beatsme -HCF

  101. #101Contract Logger2010-12-05 20:39

    Boy, they had everything in different camps. I dont doubt that some years they only purchased Macks, but there were so many different camps and operations its safe to say the had everything under the sun. Vail bought a bunch of Western Stars one year, and in 1982 Longview even bought a bunch of new Freightliners (have pics, need to find them!) and Springfield Oregon had Ford 9000 and International 4300's I've seen before. Highway only of course- in the US the off-road trucks were always KW and Mack. Actually, that's not even true, Snoqualmie Falls Lumber (and maybe White River Lumber too) had some Peterbilt off-roaders that Weyerhaeuser aquired in the aquisition. I have heard that in the late 50's early 60's Cosmopolis was 100% Mack, but don't know if that is true or false...... Longview bough alot of Macks at times, and so did Vail.

  102. #102JTL2010-12-05 20:57

    Those are some good shots there HCF. The skys are looking a little mean in the first set of pictures!

  103. #103HCF2010-12-05 21:02

    Haha. Yeah. I was getting worried but they held off for a beautiful day of picture taking and shootin the bull with an old timer watchman.

  104. #104Contract Logger2010-12-05 21:07

    I wondered where that yarder went!!!? I dont have the exact SN of this machine (Weyerhaeuser Cosmopolis sold 3 at once and I'm not sure which one went where) but that's where it came from. It's one of the 3. Kenny Nichols bought this machine and had it parked at Diamond in Chehalis. He put a quickie paint job on it and used STICKERS on the tower tube which bummed me out (never last very long due to lines rubbing and rust), and I figured I'd run across her somplace with half the 'Thunderbird' on the tube missing. Guess I was wrong, stickers seem to be holding up. Anyway I snapped some pics that day, so heres this machine in 2006 with still-sticky fresh paint (and stickers. lol). I wasnt smart enought to write down the SN (had an impatient woman waiting in the car, and she automatically despises any logging machine visible from the road cause we always end up stopping or going back!):Banghead Was holding off posting these to the TB thread until I could figure out the Serial Number situation on this rig. Oh, and yes HCF- we love the pics! Always love logging pics......:drinkup

  105. #105HCF2010-12-05 21:28

    Hey CL: thanks. I'm glad the pics are up to par. Luckily enough for me my lady thinks this stuff is great. She has never really spent much time in the woods. Anyways. If it is Rice who owns the machine (pretty sure it is) they take great care of alltheir equipment. I've heard they don't put up with careless operators either. For example. The 330C loader looks like it's only a couple months old. It's used. Just not abused. They have some of the nicest log trucks in the area and probibly the nicest line car I have ever helped feed line onto.

  106. #106Contract Logger2010-12-05 21:48

    ,,,

  107. #107Contract Logger2010-12-05 21:53

    oops.

  108. #108HCF2010-12-11 18:40

    Contract Logger, I ran into a friend of mine and said that thunderbird belongs to Gilkenson(spelling?) Logging out of Springfield. I didn't realize how far up the 500 I was. The tower side was actually on Rosboro Lumber Company land. I guess I was confused by the tags on the road. Sorry about putting this here. But I guess it's close enough to Weyco ground.

  109. #109Contract Logger2011-01-08 21:31

    Weyerhaeuser Cascade Operations (Snoqualmie and Enumclaw) in 2001 /2002 was being closed down and sold off. Here are a few pics taken around the yard there in those days as machinery was being moved into the yard to be sold off. The 70' Madill 171 was a popular yarder with Weyerhaeuser and both Snoqualmie and Enumclaw used them.

  110. #110Contract Logger2011-01-08 21:33

    Weyerhaeuser Cascade Yarder #221 was a Madill 171- seen here at the Enumclaw yard.

  111. #111Contract Logger2011-01-08 21:38

    WEyerhaeuser Cascade also used a fleet of Thunderbird TTY-70 yarders (as well as Madill 009's and lots of Washington's) and we can see some of the TTY-70's here. These TTY-70's are Cascade Operation Yarders # 209, #210, #211, #222, and #223 in various places.

  112. #112Contract Logger2011-01-08 22:38

    Weyerhaeuser at Longview used 2 Thunderbird TMY-70 yarders both of which were purchased new and delivered in 1987. They replaced 2 of the old Washington 127W machines that Longview had been using since the 1970's. In fact, one of the 127's lost a transmission, so the new TMY-70 was brought in and rigged up right underneathe the Washington and on the same landing. Happened near Headquarters Camp, I do not have any pictures... What I can tell you is that the 70' tower rigged up underneath the already-rigged 100' Washington was quite a sight! The 2 Longview TMY-70's were numbered yarders #254 and #255. Both had 8V92T Detroits for power. Here's a couple shots of #255 working up the Green River in 1993. You cannot see it but the loading shovel was a Cat 235B - Longview shovel #119.

  113. #113Contract Logger2011-01-08 22:45

    Weyerhaeuser Longview in the 1980's purchased a bunch of different and oddball shovels- usually in pairs. Here we see Yarder #243 (freshly painted) and Shovel #154 working in the Coweeman River country in 1989. Yarder #243 is obviously a 009 on rubber (Lonview had 30+ of these yarders) and Shovel #154 is a Koehring 667. They had 2 of these Koehrings working here. More on this crew later when I scan all the pics.....

  114. #114Contract Logger2011-01-08 22:51

    I was traveling someplace out back of Headquarters Camp (Weyerhaeuser Longview) and ran across this yarder getting ready to tower down. Notice the cylinder is fully extended there. Longview had so many of these Madill 009 / Link-Belt shovel combinations all over I have no idea which yarder # this is. I was in a hurry and didn't go check it out at all. The picture gives a good look of the way the land lays out there.......

  115. #115Contract Logger2011-01-08 23:22

    Weyerhaeuser used several Madill 046 machines at Longview- Some on tank mount (Yarder #226 and #237 for instance), some on trailer mount (Yarder #246), and several on the self-propelled carriers like this machine- Yarder #251. Also seen on the job here for loading is an LS5800TL --Shovel #143. Throw in an off-highway KW fire truck and 2 Cat D8's and that rounds out the side here photographed in the mid 1980's.

  116. #116Contract Logger2011-01-08 23:28

    Shovels at Longview-- These Link-Belt LS5800TL log loaders were very popular at Longview Division and a big fleet of them was purchased in the late 70's and early 80's. Here are some assorted shots, as well as LS98TL Shovel #122 which hadn't been replaced yet by hydraulics in 1985. They also picked up the 2 Koehrings and 2 Bucyrus-Erie 325HL shovels with Young hydraulic booms and grapples.

  117. #117Contract Logger2011-01-09 00:12

    Here's a few working pictures of Madill 009 yarder #243 and the Koehring shovel #154 at Weyerhaeuser Longview in 1990. Still running some of the old narrow-nose Kenworth trucks at that time.

  118. #118Contract Logger2011-01-09 00:16

    I ended up one day in 1986 waiting for a lowbed at Weyerhaeuser's 12-Mile Camp on the South Fork of the Toutle River. In the 30 minutes I was there a bunch of loaded trucks came through the scaling ramps, and I took a couple pics. Pic 1: One of the Gould & Sons Kenworth trucks with a 3 log load coming off Signal Peak. Gould and Sons was a multi-side contractor and still operates out of Castle Rock, Washington today. They ran a bunch of Skagit yarders and a fleet of these green Kenworth's in the 80's. Pic 2: Looking past the Gould and Sons load at 2 red & white empty Kenworth's belonging to Gould Sunrise Logging- different outfit but same family. Gould Sunrise also from Castle Rock and also still logging in 2011. Pic 3: Ugly and rough Groat Brothers Trucking mule train with some big short logs on it. Groat Brothers was a Woodland Washington outfit and is probably still going strong. They did lots of log-hauling and lowbed work for Weyerhaeuser in the 80's. Pic 4: 2 Gould & Sons trucks back to back now and 3-log loads on both of them! I swear I didn't set this up, that's just the way it was in those days. Lots of high-country logging, lots of big yarders, and lots of big logs. Weyerhaeuser mid-80's Chevrolet pickup belongs to the scalers.....

  119. #119Contract Logger2011-01-09 00:59

    Tailhold Cats! Here are some Cat D8's rigged up to hang blocks on in the back end. Masts and booms of all types were built in the Weyerhaeuser shops and even some of the canopies themselves were Weyco built. OSHA would not approve- who cares! In the one picture of the Washington 208 you can see a tailhold cat on the landing. Weyerhaeuser had a bunch of these 208's too- in all the camps and divisions.

  120. #120Contract Logger2011-01-09 01:02

    Yeah, I think this canopy was probably built right in the Camp Baker shop- lots of cool stuff got built in there! This Cat was nicknamed 'Odie' after the hooktender on this side.

  121. #121Contract Logger2011-01-09 01:22

    Tailhold Cat D8K at Longview- Cat #547. The mast is laying down over the blade for highway transport. Pictures taken at Headquarters Camp, 2007.

  122. #122Contract Logger2011-01-09 01:45

    Fire Trucks! When you have hundreds of thousands of acres of timberland being harvested, you need fire trucks- brush-type outfits that can hold, pump, and store water in remote locations. Weyerhaeuser also needed to comply with State Law requiring specific amounts of water be stored in functional fire trucks at every phase of the logging operation. Falling, yarding, and roadbuilding operations all require firefighting capabilities to be on-site from May through October in some places. Rain, shine, or snow- the fire trucks have got to be there and must start and function whenever an inspector shows up. Weyerhaeuser has or had fire trucks by the hundreds just for this purpose. Also- even in non-operation areas in the higher country fire trucks would often be placed in strategic locations just in case a fire got started somehow. Protection of your assets is key, and all the contractors knew where the fire trucks were out in the brush- just in case. Contractors are also required to have thier own fire trucks on their sides as well. Here are some Weyerhaeuser fire trucks on the ready:

  123. #123Contract Logger2011-01-09 01:47

    Fire trucks.

  124. #124Contract Logger2011-01-09 01:59

    More.

  125. #125Vigilant2011-01-09 02:29

    I spent a LOT of time in the woods with my father when he was Superintendent at Vail from '68 to '72. One of my favorite pastimes when he had a meeting was to hang around with his Fire Warden, Ken Jones. I thought the world of Mr. Jones, as did my father. To this day, Dad still speaks highly of him. One of our pastimes when I rode with Mr. Jones was to go from setting to setting, and crank the fire trucks to keep the cobwebs out. I'll never forget his instructions the first time I cranked one of those old beasts. I can still recall those words almost verbatim: "Alllllllllright... I'll give 'er a shot o' ether while you climb on up in the cab there. It's OK, go ahead..... now, take one o' them sticks outta gear, it don't matter which one... that's right.... now turn that switch on right there.... push that button........ FIRE THE b*****d UP!" That Pete at the top was typical of the fire truck fleet at Vail back then, only with the KW nameplate. Great photos. Thanks. My dad told me more than once since then that one of the things he admired about Ken Jones was that when he came to work, you were GONNA get an honest day's work from him, and then some, and you didn't need to ride herd over him. That's a quality that I have carried with me down through the years, in memory of a first class gentleman.

  126. #126Vigilant2011-01-09 02:32

    That fifth photo looks an awful lot like the line at Vail.

  127. #127Contract Logger2011-01-09 02:37

    That 5th photo was taken by me in the Vail yard in 1993! And that off-road Pete was at Vail too- they had a fleet of those old Pete's- I think they held close to 6,000 gallons! Snoqualmie had a whole fleet of Mack's for fire trucks (green/yellow with red tanks) but I can't find the pics just now.... They'll turn up at some point.

  128. #128Contract Logger2011-01-09 02:43

    Downrigging a 208 Washington at Vail, 1993.

  129. #129Vigilant2011-01-09 02:47

    I wasn't real sharp on trucks back then. I could be wrong, and probably am. I thought all he had back then was KW and Mack. They had a bunch of OLD late Fourties/early Fifties fire trucks like the first one on that fifth photo, with the open sides on the hood. I took my dad back out to Twin Harbors and Vail in 1995, and that was about how the fire truck line looked then. I got to see that beautiful old shop building one more time, before the bastards leveled all but one small portion in later years. Bought my first chain saw at Vail too, at age 12. Ford Bentley, the Cutting Crew Supervisor, sold me a surplus Weyco saw, an ancient Homelite 5-30N, for 5 bucks.

  130. #130Contract Logger2011-01-09 02:50

    That is awesome! Have you got any pics from those days? We'd all love to see them!

  131. #131Vigilant2011-01-09 02:52

    That 208 was looking pretty sad. It could have been one that my dad bought during his time there. He had an ancient B Model Mack line truck back then. I know you've been to Weikswood, or at least heard of it. It was named after Carl Weiks' father. Carl Weiks had retired as Super at Vail right before my dad took over.

  132. #132Vigilant2011-01-09 02:55

    I wish with all my heart that I had spent my rather modest life savings back then taking photos at Vail, but I don't have a one, other than a few that I took when we went back in '95. They're pretty much the same as what you have posted.

  133. #133Contract Logger2011-01-09 13:29

    Weyerhaeuser Longview Yarder #248 (currently at Ramsey in Chehalis) and Shovel #119 (one of the Cat 235B's) working on the N. Toutle River in the late 1980's.

  134. #134JeremyM702011-01-09 21:29

    Check out the mural inside the shop. For only 4.25 million you too can own a piece of Weyco History! http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/pdfs/businesses/surplusproperties/WhiteRiverMill.pdf http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/Businesses/SurplusProperties/Washington

  135. #135Contract Logger2011-01-09 21:59

    I remember when they were painting that and wondered if it would ever last. Apparently it is still lasting- Here are some detail pics. Just for perspective that painting is about 24 feet tall!

  136. #136Contract Logger2011-01-13 22:44

    Four yarders parked at Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie in 1999. 1 Thunderbird TTY-70 (#211), Washington 118 (#207), and 2 Washington 208's (#202 and #203).

  137. #137JeremyM702011-01-13 23:11

    I want one of those in my garage, too bad I don't have 24 feet! Maybe we could all pool our money and buy the place

  138. #138Vigilant2011-01-14 23:01

    What ever became of the Washington Iron Works TL5H hydraulic shovel? My dad tested the prototype at Vail in about 1970, but I can't find anything on that machine now. I assume they scrapped the project. IIRC, it ran off a 6-71 Detroit. There were hoses everywhere, and it seemed there was always something that needed fixing. I'll ask him what he remembers about it next time we talk.

  139. #139isx5252011-01-15 11:44

    one that I know of belonged to bill bremmeyer (ravensdale,wa) I remember riding with my dad ,the tl5h was loading. seemed it was nicknamed "the pelican" I think it got scrapped, but maybe not. bremmeyer was still loading with it in the 80's. Timber Traders also had one at their yard I think. that is many years back,I was very young, but I listened to a lot of conversations between local loggers and truckers. brent

  140. #140Jdigger41302011-01-21 20:55

    Hello, can anyone suggest where a guy can get "current" info on this corp.? Sounds like its not A very well liked company. I am not in the timber business and only have read two books about their history and they sounded like they were/are in this biz for the long haul so to speak so I would love to hear why there is seeming animosity! If I am outta bounds sorry just curious! They do own more of the united states than anyone else I believe

  141. #141John C.2011-01-21 21:39

    They probably used to have the most land of any timber company at one time but not anymore. After the hostile purchase of Willamette they started the sell off phase of their land to pay for it. The Snoqualmie and White River tree farms went to Hancock Resources some years ago. Rumor has it they are shopping the Cosmopolis operation now. I have heard through some sources that the Vail operation is safe for the time being but that the Pe Ell and Raymond operations are being looked at real hard for opportunities for divestment. The changing of the company into a RIET may change all that again. Weyco employed many of us at some time in the past either directly as an employee or a vender. When I worked at the White River mill they liked to promote people from within the company which many people thought was a good thing. From my end though I saw far too many really poor personalities get promoted because of the way talked to the boss instead of the quality of their work ethic or content of their character. Top management also sent the company in several different directions many times that only confused and demoralized the employees. They further had the bad habit of running off good people just before they retired to limit their exposure to pensions and medical payments. People with hard feelings against the company are not hard to find at all. The consensus opinion among most of us is that the current company was living off the superior business sense of the original George. They bought the land from the states and the railroad for next to nothing and there was so much money to squander it took them a hundred years to run corporation down to its current condition. They are still a viable entity but are ruled by share holders now.

  142. #142rockhaul2011-01-21 22:01

    Well said... It seems the more people from academia we get in this industry, the faster the spiral is down, bean counters, lawyers, and Wall Street. They get so top heavy each has to justify their existance and that is trouble!!!!

  143. #143JeremyM702011-01-25 00:22

    Old Weyco line truck repurposed for fishing use Found this old truck down by the docks in Warrenton, OR

  144. #144HCF2011-01-27 22:50

    Here's a couple shots of weycos hanger at the eugene airport.

  145. #145funnelfan2011-02-08 04:05

    Great discussion and photos guys! I'm in need of photos of late 70's/ early 80's Weyerhaeuser Kenworth highway log trucks. I really need to find photos showing the back of the cab and the detail in that region. I'm working on a couple HO scale models (1:87), but have not been successful in finding much in the way of useful photos on the internet. I went so far as to get permission to photograph much of the equipment in Pe Ell last spring, particularly the old water and tool trucks converted from log trucks. But I really could use detail shots of the actual log trucks. Thanks.

  146. #146WTCX_3002011-02-08 20:08

    I live in Longview near MP 1.75 on the WTCX main line. I grew up seeing these trains run. I model the railroad in HO scale as well. While I am happy to have come across this thread, I am not happy to see some of my photos up here already and see some of them with my copyright REMOVED! Not sure how you saved them either as I have right clicking disabled on my website. However, Here are the links to my website with my photos of the Weyerhaeuser woods line out of Longview, WA. http://www.pbase.com/pnwr1853 Jeff Davis WTCX MP1.75 Steam Mechanic/Machinist

  147. #147Murk1002011-02-08 23:24

    Weyco Canada Cool old Cat think it use to be M&B, like the winch configuration Head Bay. thats it for now lots more to come over the next little bit 7230 tons of trucks and hyd loaders.. you like Torkel

  148. #148digger242j2011-02-10 06:51

    Jeff, please allow me to apologize on behalf of HEF for any of your work that has been posted without your permission. Somewhere here on the site, is an advisory that posting of other's photos should included, at the very least, credit to the original source. Obviously, it's not often followed, and it's nearly impossible to enforce, given the volume of pictures that get posted, and the fact that the staff all have other comittments in real life and volunteer our time here. That having been said, we do get very few complaints, and will be more than happy to respond to those we do get. (It would be naive to think that it's beyond possible that what was posted here was not a copy of a copy (of a copy of a copy...) with you mark already removed. This is, after all, the internet. A lame excuse, to be sure, but one scenario that has to be considered.) Thank you in advance for your understanding. This would probably be a good time to reiterate to all that it's only fitting and proper to give credit to the original producer of any work that is not your own, and that removing somebody else's copyright is at the very least, terribly impolite. (And at the worst, a considerable headache, figuratively speaking, for HEF.) :cool2

  149. #149Contract Logger2011-02-13 01:21

    I posted those pics and I didnt notice the copyright logo or name until I went back and looked for it. I'm not a raiload guy and hadn't seen your site before either. Lots of cool pics for sure. I am a logging buff who has material and pics emailed to me on a daily basis. I logged under contract fo the big 'W' for many years on thier tree farms from Sultan/Gold Bar clear south and into Oregon. I do apologize for the post, I save eveything and pulled them from a file of saved pics and as I looked I see alot of different names both personal and business on the pics. Sorry about that. I'll try to figure out who sent them and see what happens.

  150. #150Contract Logger2011-02-13 01:23

    Early Link-Belt LS98 flat pad machine with the old-style young heel boom on it. Was parked in the weeds near Cathlamet and came out of Weyerhaeuser's Grays River operation I do believe.

  151. #151Contract Logger2011-02-13 01:37

    Here's another Weyerhaeuser Link-Belt LS98TL- this one much newer with the highwalker (tractor-style with pinned-link rails) undercariage and the newer Young heel-boom. Also noteble is the cradle above the fairleads for a wooden snorkel-stick. Longview used the wooden snorkels on thier shovels in the late 1970's and 1980's.

  152. #152Contract Logger2011-02-13 02:08

    Weyerhaeuser Fire Trucks at Snoqualmie Falls Kenworth W900's and Mack R Series trucks make up the fire response fleet at Weyerhaeuser's Snoqualmie Falls Tree Farm in 1998.

  153. #153Contract Logger2011-02-13 02:32

    More Weyerhaeuser firefighting equipment.

  154. #154Contract Logger2011-02-13 02:54

    Fuel Trucks, Service Trucks, and etc. It takes all kinds of rolling stock to support the machinery as we all know too well.

  155. #155Contract Logger2011-02-13 03:07

    Random trucks at the Longview Operation in 2005.

  156. #156Contract Logger2011-02-13 03:25

    Line trucks. Kenworth 848 line truck. These trucks were a staple of every logging operation and are necessary whenever moving a yarder between settings. Each Weyerhaeuser camp had at least one and the larger camps may have had more- Camp Baker had at least 2, and well as one at 12-Road, 19-Mile, and Camp Kalama if more were needed. everything from guyline extensions to skyline extensions has got to be moved- along with the yarders. These trucks were the hot ticket for this work. Also they were used as pull trucks and snubbing trucks for the lowbeds and yarders moving up and down steep grades. The hoist is huge and includes a large main spooling/holding drum as well as 2 strawline drums to aid in the moving of line around.

  157. #157Contract Logger2011-02-13 03:47

    Longview Line Truck #361 Weyerhaeuser Longview used this Kenworth with line hoist for assisting with thier yarder moves in 2003 when these pictures were taken. At the time Longview logging division was running several Madill 172's as well as the Madill 123 grapple yarder they had there for many years. Lots of line to move around, though most was 1 1/8" or less due to the small yarders. In the 1980's, big yarders were still in use and 1 3/8" skylines and guylines were common (Longview used several Madill 046's and 208 Washingtons).

  158. #158Contract Logger2011-02-13 04:17

    Weyerhaeuser Longview Mack DM800 #997 Truck #997 is a Mack DM800 that has seen several lives. It started life as a log truck working the foothills of Mt St Helens out of Camp Twelve and managed to somehow survive the eruption and destruction. Later it was relegated to pulling a log trailer with 2 bunk logs supporting a railroad tank-car tank modified to hold water. These lash-ups were used in all the camps and sort yards for dust-control in the summer months. From here it went to bull-cooking duties wherever needed and was bobbed-off at some point to become a 5th-wheel tractor. Here it is seen in being used to move a Skagit BU-739 yarder in the brush between settings. The truck looks really rough and hasn't got too much left to give.....

  159. #159123paw paw2011-02-13 10:52

    Some awsome pictures!

  160. #160Contract Logger2011-02-13 13:22

    Weyerhaeuser Washington 188 Yarder #207 Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie Falls yarder #207 was a Washington 118 that had been converted to 188. These are some good overall shots showing the machine in its transport configuration. In one of the pics I was moving one of my log loaders and pulled off in a wide spot. The machine went by doing 25 mph or so just bombing down the mainline near the Tolt River bridge. Weyerhaeuser had a bunch of 118's and used them in every division- for grapple yarding mostly. Longview swapped out thier last one aound 1990 for a Madill 123.

  161. #161Contract Logger2011-02-13 13:58

    Weyerhaeuser Kenworth C500 and Lowbed at Snoqualmie, 1994 All the Weyerhaeuser operations had private road systems meaning lots of off-highway equipment. All the camps had multiple lowbeds and Longview operation had at least 10 off-highway equipment haulers when the mountaine blew in 1980. Often the trailers were huge- Peerless was the primary manufacturer. Widths ranged from 12' to 16' and once I was traveling up the Kalama River mainline when I met a big Kenworth and lowbed with 2 Cat D8K's on it (yes, 2 on the same trailer). They were loaded one ahead with blade over the gooseneck, and one reversed with blade (raised) hanging out over the ass-end. Each was slightly angled so the winches were actually side-by-side. In the Longview main office building a big black-and-white picture of this setup hung on the wall in the 1980's. It was inpressive to say the least, and in the pic one of the D8's had a tailhold mast so it looked even bigger! Sorry for the rant. Here's a pic of a smaller setup at Snoqualmie in 1994. This is a 16-wheel Peerless, fairly long but only about 13' wide.

  162. #162Contract Logger2011-02-13 14:14

    Weyerhaeuser- White River Lowbed Trailer This was the last equipment trailer in operation at White River (Enumclaw Washington) when that camp closed. These pics were taken at the machinery broker's yard who picked up all the off-highway trucks when the camps at Snoqualmie and White River closed. The trucks went to South Ameica and this trailer sold to a mine in Montana I was told. This particular trailer is a smaller, shorter version but still big by highway standards. Length was around 42' and with was 14'. The rig used to have hydrailic ramps on the rear and hydraulic jacks up front buth these have long since gone. There was a neat retro Weyco logo painted on each side of the gooseneck (the old rounded W like the locomotives used to run). As you can see there are 16 tires on side-by-side walking beam suspension setups. Capacity was 120 tons. Loading was achieved by simply backing the trailers into a dirt bank and walking the machine on or off.

  163. #163Hayesno12011-02-13 14:41

    Contract Logger; Great pics - great for my modelling. Last pic shows a yellow logging truck at right. It seems like a Hayes truck, or I am wrong? I have a few Weyco pics. I better find and post them.

  164. #164Contract Logger2011-02-13 15:23

    He (the broker) had aquired a large fleet of Hayes and Kenworth trucks from a logger in Alaska named Gilderseeve. I haven't scanned all those pics but will get to them soon!

  165. #165Contract Logger2011-02-13 15:29

    Washington 208 Slackline- Weyerhaeuser Yarder #293 This great big Washington 208 Slackine started its life at Longview in the Camp Kalama country, and logged many years there before being transferred to the Vail Operation. I took these pics in 1993, and shortly after the machine was sold off and parted out. Its bones rest at Ramsey's place in Chehalis today. One neat thing to note on this machine is the sliding cab- can be boved back and forth from side to side for better visibility. This is a big, heavy yarder and was a nigtmare moving around the high-country where it spent its years yarding old-growth fir!

  166. #166Contract Logger2011-02-13 16:00

    Vail ran lots of Washington 208's. Couple shots of a Washington 208 working in the Skookumchuck drainage area. Vail used lots of Washington 208 yarders.

  167. #167Contract Logger2011-02-13 16:07

    Washington 208's in the Vail High Country! I took these pics in 1994 in the upper Skookumchuck on the ridgetop between the Cinnebar, Skookumchuck, and Deschutes drainages- deep in the heart of the Vail Tree Farm. You are about 35 miles off the backtop here and up high in the old-growth fir and hemlock timber. Weyerhauser had 5 yarder sides back in here then- and in these pics you can see 2 Washington 208's. Loading the big wood under each was one Cat 235B and 1 LS5800TL Link-Belt. Lots of high lakes in here- and big mule deer were plentiful. I consider myself very fortunate to have worked in such beautiful country. Also glad I thought to take a few pics to remember it all by.........

  168. #168Contract Logger2011-02-13 16:11

    In that top pic (showing the 2 yarders) you are looking across an old landing. It was this same landing where the big Madill 046 tank mount toppled over and met her end in 1992. The frame was bent and she was moved into camp and scrapped out in 1993. Frown.

  169. #169Hayesno12011-02-13 16:55

    Mack CL350 on VI summer 2005

  170. #170WTCX_3002011-02-14 22:49

    I have no problem at all with my photos of the railroad being up here. I just do not like seeing them with my copyright being removed. I am not blaming those that posted my photos for removing them at all. I have enjoyed seeing the non railroading side of Weyerhaeuser in this thread and I am glad I was told about it.

  171. #171Vigilant2011-02-15 11:27

    I used to fish the Skookumchuck, known to the natives as the Mighty River, as a young lad, with my father. Our favorite stretch ran upstream from where it curves away from the road into what is now the reservoir, to the old railroad trestle, which is now gone completely. It's hard to miss the point in the haul road where it met up with the trestle. I caught more trout in that river than I can remember, plus a few really nice steelhead. But times have changed, and they say the fishing in the Skookumchuck went to crap when they built the dam. I heard that they had to remove the trestle due to liability concerns, due to a few idiots getting hurt during hunting season. It is no wonder that Weyco finally closed their land to the public, other than foot and bicycle traffic in some places. Thanks for the pics, Logger. I hope there are more to follow.

  172. #172bitner19702011-02-15 15:22

    Keep the Weyerhaeuser equipment pics coming! There is some great modeling info here for trucks and equipment. I've always loved their paint scheme on equipment. I have a couple of model trucks I did in Weyerhaeuser colors in 25th scale. Cheers: Bill

  173. #173Contract Logger2011-02-16 00:06

    I model them in 1/25th too. Lots and lots of them in fact. The trouble with this forum is all my pics have to be scanned and scanning is a nightmare! I only went digital 5 yeas ago and my better pics are way older than that!

  174. #174Contract Logger2011-02-16 01:34

    Weyerhaeuser Longview Yarder #226 - Madill 046 Tank Mounted The Madill 046 tank mounts were a nightmare to move and Longview had several of them. These pics are copied from a Weyerhaeuser 1979 magazine article describing the move of Camp Baker's yarder #226 off the Coldwater and down into lower 'winter' ground. It took 2 empty logging trucks pulling the lowbed to get up some of the grades, and both log trucks plus the line truck snubbing off the grades. This thing was heavy with all the lines and full of fuel, etc. As you know, the following year they moved her back to the Coldwater and Mt St Helens caught this machine in the blast zone......

  175. #175Contract Logger2011-02-16 01:44

    Here's kind of a bad pic of a 1/25th scratchbuilt scale model of the yarder and trailer. The proper truck was built a little later but this one isn't that bad in a jam...... I have much better pics of all this someplace. Can't find them and the model is in storage....

  176. #176Contract Logger2011-02-16 02:01

    Here's 1/25th a model of Longview shovel #104, a Bucyrus-Erie 38B with wooden snorkel. It's in storage on a shelf too.

  177. #177Justin2011-02-16 04:10

    Does anyone one have stories or picture from Weyco. in southern oregon, mainly Klamath Falls and Bly area. My Graandpa had around thirty years, before they shut down the woods operations there and sold thier mill in K.Falls and tore out the one in Bly. I will ask my grandpa if he has any pictures, he did pretty much every job in the woods from slinging chokers and skidding to when he was older driving truck. He has alot of stories about logging there, pretty sad to see Weyco.'s fall from grace there, they provided alot of jobs there.

  178. #178Hayesno12011-02-16 12:57

    Some Weyco TRI-drive KW in Campbell River/North of Campbell River, VI summer 2000.

  179. #179Contract Logger2011-02-16 23:11

    Weyerhaeuser Longview Yarder #234 - Washington 208 Highlead Here we have some old copies of Longview Yarder #234, a Washington 208 highlead machine which worked the area in the high country of Elk Mountain, Trouble Creek, and the high ridges between the South Fork Toutle and Upper Kalama River drainages. It isn't far between the S. Toutle and Upper Kalama mileage wise, but the ground is steep as hell and the timber was big. In 1979 the Weyerhaeuser magazine featured an article about the yarder moving off the 5670 at Trouble Creek down lower toward Headquarters Camp. Also included is a Weyerhaeuser Mack DM800 pulling triple trailers (called a salamander at Longview) with the rear stacked trailers slid off the road. This yarder survived and aided the Mt St Helens salvage and was scrapped at Camp Kalama around 1992.

  180. #180Contract Logger2011-02-16 23:17

    Longview Yarder #234 - Continued Naturally I was right there for the scrapping and salvaged a few items off the machine. I got the brass builder's plate, the guyline blocks, the strawline fairlead, etc- small stuff. I also did get the shop manuals and took some 'death pics'. The scrapper was from Oakville Washington and kept some of the larger items to sell as parts. Here is the last picture I took of Yarder #234 (in 1992 at Oakville). I liked the 'Longview Branch' and painted lettering. So often vinyl stickers were used instead....

  181. #181580bruce2011-02-17 09:11

    I love all of the pics you post!Do you have any of the Enumclaw opp?I grew up in Black Diamond,and still love that area so much.

  182. #182JeremyM702011-02-22 23:13

    Weyco equipment spreadsheet Clearly I have too much time on my hands being home sick! I took info from this thread, the MSH one, a few others, plus Weyco equipment I have seen and made a multi-tabbed excel spreadsheet with past and present Weyco equipment. It is a work in progress, if anyone has inputs or corrections feel free to let me know. I can't seem to attach excel spreadsheets, so I had to zip it up. View attachment Weyco Equipment.zip

  183. #183Contract Logger2011-04-03 18:29

    Weyerhaeuser Side near Mt. St. Helens- 1978 This thread is kind of slow. I was just reading the posts in the Mt St Helens thread from akroadrunner about Camp Baker and figured I'd better scan some more. These pics were taken up Maratta Creek in 1978 and the wood was big. From here you could look up the valley into the Fawn Lake country and it was all old-growth back then- this was well inside the blast zone-- and in May 1980 it was all gone.....forever. This side yarded with the Washington 127W, loaded with a Bucyrus-Erie 38-B and Young heel boom, and trucking was done with the Camp Baker Kenworth fleet like this 848 seen here. Notice the twin round air cleaners on the right front fender. In the bottom pick he is lifting the trailer off and you can see the 10' wide bunks. I forgot about Jeremy's spreadsheet but will get back digging up unit numbers/descriptions. I dont know the unit #'s on any of this. Weyco used lots of 127W', lots of 38-B's, and lots of Kenworths at Longview in the 70's. The crew bus there is a cool touch to the pics. Sorry for the lousy pics. They are old and were taken with a low-end camera.

  184. #184Contract Logger2011-04-03 19:00

    Camp Baker in 1979 Here are some bad pics taken at Camp Baker in 79'. All are yellowing pretty fast. One pic shows Dart stacker #183 parked next to Yarder #226- a Madill 046 tank mount. #226 was blasted in the mountain and can be seen in that thread and this one. Weyco had a fleet of 120-ton Dart's they used to transfer loads off the Kenworth and onto the railroad. These machines survived the eruption- EXCEPT one which was never found- got swept downstrean in the flood and might show up one of these days due to erosion. The whole truck fllet was lost at Baker too- some 45 KW trucks all told. 3rd pic shows on of the Darts and the log train at Camp Baker. In the 4th (truck row) pic, please notice a pretty and peaceful Mt St Helens. At this time nobody had a clue what was going on up there......

  185. #185trakloader2011-04-03 19:01

    Here CL, I restored the pics for you....

  186. #186Contract Logger2011-04-03 19:06

    They look better. I tried the auto-correct on mine and it screwed them all up worse than original. Yours look pretty good. Are you busy for the next couple years? I have boxes and boxes.......

  187. #187trakloader2011-04-03 19:12

    Send them up! I'll probably be laid off for the next few years, lots of time. Here, I fixed the other pics too. I use ArcSoft Photoimpression, it seems to work really well. You should see some of the pics I've restored with it, it's just like magic.

  188. #188akroadrunner2011-04-03 19:59

    Hey, CL. We sent loads so big into Baker that they couldn't unload them complete with those huge log stackers. Actually had to correct a problem with them taking the peak log off and setting it aside without getting scaled. My uncle Rex and Norman parked the off highway Peterbilts (2) and Norman's Kenworth, (I called it a Brute in an earlier post, that may be incorrect. I know it was one of the lowboy tractors the pushed and pulled the big equipment with V12) anyway they parked them over by the rack for reloading the trailers back onto the trucks. Remember stopping in camp and helping them fix flats on that 1400 x 24 rubber. UHG! I always said I didn't want to be a truck driver. HMMMM. Now I own one. I was sure glad to be in a piece of equipment on the nasty days, rather than pulling rigging. Sometimes felt just a little envious when the weather was particularly bad and those truck drivers had a warm cab and I was cold and wet all the way to the bone. Funny though, how in the spring we could work in bad weather all day, but on the drive home it started getting better when we got to Toutle. Castle Rock improved on that, and Vader would often be even better. Remember coming home, finally shaking off the shivers (in April) and find my wife just coming in from sun bathing when we lived in Vader. I am going to buy myself a scanner so I can post what few logging pics I have. Most are from the Reservation. I have a black and white of me at about 6 yo 'helping' my Dad operate his dozer. I have a very few of my Grandpa, James Ross, falling timber with a misery whip. He got hurt in the 1930's and was unable to work full time, so started logging on his own with his boys, my Dad and his brothers. The Longview Daily News had articles by my Garndpa, one with a 13 foot cedar they fell with the misery whip, others about elk hunting. I have actually written some short stories, as you can probably guess from my long winded posts here. Each are 1 chapter, and mostly about things from when I was a kid. Some adult stuff. Mostly true, just stretched a little sometimes to make fun of my brothers. I would NEVER lie about the logging. Don't have to make anything up there. It's wild enough as is.

  189. #189Contract Logger2011-05-04 23:57

    Weyerhaeuser-- Springfield, Oregon Trucks- Weyerhaeuser ran a big operation at Springfield - a few truck pics scanned from an old magazine.

  190. #190JeremyM702011-05-16 01:27

    I was watching RallyCross on ESPN tonight that was held a few weeks ago up in Snoqualmie, WA. Kind of looked like an old mill yard and building they were holding it it, did some research and it looks like a Rally School bought the old Weyco-Snoqualmie Mill complex to teach rally driving and hold rally races. Kind of a creative use of the old Weyco property I thought. http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/east_king/svr/news/89030467.html

  191. #191Contract Logger2011-05-16 01:53

    Unbelievable to me.... I signed logging contracts, had many heated discussions, and attended many meetings and events in that office building- I rigged and un-rigged yarders in the yard there as we came and went over the years- I parked/stored trucks and equipment there as necessary, and saw lots of big, big iron around that place I can still see all the off-roaders lined up and ready for work over the weekends- I remember that sorting yard absolutely stuffed to the gills with old-growth fir- Boy how times change. Weyerhaeuser has already been out of there for nearly 10 years. It just doesnt seem possible to me- but I guess it is, and miss that operation. Good luck to the new owners- its a beautiful location right there, suitable for just about anything......

  192. #192JeremyM702011-05-16 02:12

    Too true, but at least they are not building Prius's or something else lame. You had to see the turbo charged all wheel drive cars tearing thru the old mill bldg that was left making a hard right and off into the gravel and over a jump. Pretty cool!

  193. #193lg junior2011-05-18 00:19

    Weyerhaeuser truck shop at the mohawk reload C L your second picture is taken at the mohawk reload northeast of Springfield. I think I took this picture around 1990. A few years before they burned the shop down I picked up all the old wrecked log cars and logs along the right of way then weyerhaeuser replaced all the ties and put in new ballast. At the time it seemed that they intended to continue using the train but that wasn't the case. They pulled up the tracks and filled the shop bays with the junk ties, there was no mention in the news and only a very few people knew that it was going to be burned. We were able to get permission to salvage some of the parts bins and electrical for my shop.

  194. #194Hallback2011-06-01 01:38

    Those are the Wallace's yarders sitting by Gee Cee's. I am looking into buying the 739 as we speak.

  195. #195Hallback2011-06-01 01:44

    Was one of these yarders the one that went off the canyon up scale shack road in cinebar around 85-86...?? I remember my dad hooking for Hadaller up there then and we cut up some of the tube to make wood stoves out of. Good times and great memories for sure. That was when I got my first paying job for a logger.

  196. #196JTL2011-07-11 22:35

    My boss and I were just up there today to do a walkthrough on the cell 5 expansion. We will be starting work on the first of August, when I'm finished up in The Dalles. It will be nice to get back in the mountians and outta the desert for awhile! There were a few pieces of equipment sitting next to the office. A loader, processsor and a D6. While we were there, the engineer got a phone call from a Cowlitz County official about them buying the landfill.

  197. #197JeremyM702011-07-18 02:28

    Weyco #716 water truck Found an old Weyco water truck up at Dahlgrens Logging near Forks, WA. Not sure where it came from, but looked like it was #716

  198. #198JTL2011-08-11 22:57

    Been up to the Headquarters Camp for the last 2 weeks now. This place beats the turds outta the deserts of Oregon and S.E. Washington! The 4300 and the Madill stroker are sitting by the Landfill office. Caught the 3800 and lowboy coming out of the 1600 road waiting for pilot cars up by the office as well. Still trying to find the right person to butter-up and get a pass to head up in the brush to have a look around.

  199. #199JTL2011-08-11 23:03

    These are the dozers that Weyco uses up at the landfill. I really like the shop built U blade on the 7. They also have a nice old 8K that I used today to push up the drain rock pile with. Camerea didn't wanna work today though. Had to park the ol 8 fast though. Pulled the left steer clutch out and took a spark bath. I'm thinking the horn wire shorted accross the clutch lever.

  200. #200JeremyM702011-08-11 23:22

    Nice pics, right place and right time! Can you tell what they Weyco numbers using your higher resolution pictures on the stroker and the 3800C. Apparently Weyco Longview doesn't lowboy their own equipment, they contract it out to C&C Logging. Thats what I suspected and now you confirmed it.

  201. #201580bruce2011-08-11 23:30

    I would love to see more pics of that landfill JTL! I spent many days hydroseeding that place.Lots of equipment to see during construction.I remember a D-3 B and an old cable loader to the right in the brush before you got to the office,I,'m sure scrap now!

  202. #202JTL2011-08-12 00:49

    Jeremy-stroker is #182, 3800 is #139 and the 4300 is #760. I'll get some more pics as soon as I can Bruce. Even though I'm the boss, I haven't really had time to get off the blade and have a good look around to take any pictures. I think your right about the 3 and the cable loader, haven't seen hide nor hair of 'em. You wouldn't by chance gonna be the green grass painter this go round are ya?

  203. #203JeremyM702011-08-12 01:31

    Thanks Jason!

  204. #204580bruce2011-08-12 14:02

    JTL,I dont work for the hydroseed outfit anymore.Terra Dynamics out of Seattle,a great outfit.Wish I was,that was a fun job!Keep the pics a commin!

  205. #205Autocar2011-08-12 20:44

    Great pictures, those were the days !

  206. #206Contract Logger2011-08-13 11:27

    Weyco Longview did all thier own machinery moving until the mountain blew in 1980 and most of the lowbeds disppeared in the explosion and susequent flooding. As they cleaned up they recovered 7 or 8 lowbeds (all off-highway rigs) from the mudflows and rebuilt and used those. During the big blowdown salvage cleanup effort there were so many machines moving that Weyerhaeuser wasn't able to keep up, and they hired Heavy Hauling Company (based out of Kelso) and Groat Brothers (out of Woodland) to assist with the lowbedding from 1980 until around 1986 when all the off-road company lowbeds were sold off. After 1986, it went out for bid and Groat Brothers/Heavy Hauling did most of the moving until the early 1990's. In 1994, Bighorn Logging of (Vernonia, Oregon) bought 3 brand-new lowbeds and took over the lowbedding for several years at WTC Longview. When Bighorn decided to slow down and sold off thier truck fleet (he did keep a couple log trucks, dump trucks, and one lowbed) in the later 1990's, C&C took over based on price and has been doing most of it since then. With Weyerhaeuser it's all price and if someone cut C&C's rates, they'd be tossed and the new dirt cheap would get hired. Rates today are so low I doubt anyone is interested in working for any less than C&C is doing it for..... Back in the day each Longview Camp (Coweeman, Kalama, 12-Road, 19-Mile, Baker, and Headquarters) all had thier own lowbed fleet (usually 4 trailers) and usually 2 line trucks as well. Often a whole side would move at one time, 3 and 4 loaded lowbeds and a line truck all moving together in a 'convoy' type setup. It was something to see-. Some of the trailers were so large that 2 Cat D8's were moved on one trailer. in 1990 when the Columbia River was being dredged at Astoria, one of the big lowbeds from Camp Baker was found in the silt below the Astoria Bridge. I wonder how much of that Weyerhaeuser machinery made it clear out to the ocean?? Something to think about. There's alot of gear they have never found. The tires at Baker were all branded, and the trailer was traced back to Camp Baker using the still-legible brands stamped in the tires on that trailer, 10 years later and after being buried in the river 100 miles downstream from Camp.

  207. #207Contract Logger2011-08-13 11:51

    Weyerhaeuser Longview Lowbed Truck 401 and its trailer worked at Longview until being transferred to Snoqualmie Falls in 1986. I took these pics at Snoqualmie Falls in 1993 and she was still going strong. This trailer would haul 2 Cat D8K's at once, back to back on the trailer. Some old Mack DM800's were used as well as the Kenworth trucks.

  208. #208JTL2011-08-14 22:53

    This might be a little off-topic, but you did mention this outfit! Had to go to the UPS Customer Service place to send off time cards today and saw this beaut sitting in Heavy Hauling's yard. To many other trucks parked there to get a real good picture. Could this be an ex Weyco unit?

  209. #209580bruce2011-08-14 23:23

    Why does the gooseneck go up so high,acting like a cabguard maybe?

  210. #210Vigilant2011-08-15 11:44

    Anybody know what trans those C5s had in them? I'm thinking a plain old 18 speed?

  211. #211JTL2011-09-16 22:39

    We started placing the opertations layer in the new cell Tuesday. This is the final stage in a landfill before they begin placing garbage in one. First we have pics of the train bringing in the de-inked material that we are using. It is all the left overs from recycling paper. Then we have the rail transfer facility, and the Mi-Jack they use to load the cans on to the trucks.

  212. #212JTL2011-09-16 22:44

    Here we have are the trucks Weyco uses to haul the cans to the landfill, as well as a live bottom that normally hauls auto fluff from Portland to the landfill. They hired these guys to help with the haul, since the train only brings about 1900 yards of material in at a time. (we can place more than twice that in a 10 hr shift.) They are bringing this stuff in from Longview at the paper mill.

  213. #213Vigilant2011-09-16 23:16

    In that last photo on post #212, I'm pretty sure that second lokie from the front is an ancient, ancient EMD GP7. If so, I'm surprised to see one still running the rails.

  214. #214580bruce2011-09-17 02:07

    Love the photos of that landfill.Still one of my favorite jobs I ever worked on.You can post those kind of pics all day long!

  215. #215Redwood Climber2011-09-17 21:54

    Loss of Productive Timberlands I understand we need landfills to put the unrecyclables in I just hate to see prime timberland used to make a landfill.........I'd be nice to see timberland put back to what it does best........grow timber!! Don't need that old logging road? Put it back to growing timber! Old millsite not being used? Put it back to growing timber! Lose a few hundred acres here, a few thousand there.......HEY!! maybe we should have CHINA grow our trees for us! Maybe we could put landfills in the city parks so the city folks could keep their unrecyclables and we could keep our forests procuctive. I understand the timber industry looks dead now, but maybe, just maybe the federal government will stop over regulating most industries we can get this economy going again. When and if they ever do, we will need lots of productive timberland to rebuild our economy. I'm not knocking you fellas working here, I'm thankful you have jobs, I just wish it wasn't doing in productive timberland. Did I mention that I like productive timberland? Here in northern California we have a section of freeway that was cut through real productive second growth Redwood timberland. 12 & 1/2 miles of it. 3300 acres of timberland was lost. All because the government didn't want to widen the less than 10 miles of old highway that went straight through the park. That 3300 acres of timberland and all the jobs it represents is gone.......the only jobs the freeway represents is more government workers, man don't we need more of them........Did I mention that I like productive timberlands?

  216. #216trainwreck2011-09-18 00:04

    Jtl those live bottom trailers are owned by Rick Franklin, same guy who owns Rick Franklin Corp that i work for.

  217. #217JTL2011-09-18 03:32

    I was informed of that Friday when I seen a RFC mudflap on one of the tractors. Saw one your shop trucks come in the other day. One of the trucks broke down up on the big dump. Redwood, I am pretty sure that the 800 acres Weyco is permitted to operate on is still productive timber land. The 75 acres the landfill takes in is chump change compared to the timber ground they own and maintain. They built the landfill in a hole that was not all that productive to begin with. As far as the job's go..I know of at least 12 full time, year round, high paying jobs that the landfill provides. These are just the people I have met while building this cell, not to mention the the non Weyco employess that bring refuse to the site. Then you have the train crew, the train loaders, ETC,ETC. I understand where you are coming from. But like the old saying goes. You adabt, you overcome and you comprimise. Timber markets fall, you get a job digging landfill's. After all, the company I work for started out in 1966 building logging roads on the Olympic Pennisulla. Pretty soon, all the big roads get built. No matter what, we still make garbage. Every day, all day. We all need a place to toss our junk at the end of the day. To the folks who coplain about landfill's, I say this....Let your trash pile up in your front yard for a month or so. Then we will talk!! Did any of ever see the episode of The Simpons when Homer went on strike aginst the garbage company in Springfield??

  218. #218Hallback2011-09-18 11:33

    Where are you based out of Jason??

  219. #219trainwreck2011-09-19 08:04

    that shop truck that was up there is the truck i drove for about 5 years. now that i got a new one they gave it to that guy. check out post number 146 to see the truck i have now. HeavyEquipmentForums

  220. #220mitch5042011-09-19 21:07

    That trailer started life as an off-road unit, and was set up for a very high 5th wheel. In one of the shots you can see the box they built to adapt the kingpin down.

  221. #221JTL2011-09-26 22:04

    Finished up at the landfill Saturday. Now all that is left is baby sitting the tarping crew and waiting for the hydro seeders to show up tomorrow. So I went for a little drive into the 1300 line this afternoon. Been hearing these guys for the last two weeks on the radio and just had to go have a look!

  222. #222Vigilant2011-09-26 22:06

    Here are a few shots of some of the last lokies to pull logs out of Vail, plus a couple shots of Engine 684, originally from Pe Ell. I never saw 684 in person back then, but heard the engineer on the company radio many a time. It now rests at the museum in Fife. My dad pulled his logs with Engine 493, a 1949 Fairbanks-Morse H10-44. IIRC, it was scrapped in the mid '70s. http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?railroad=Chehalis Western

  223. #223JTL2011-09-26 22:09

    They have two sides going back in here. Some pretty nice wood, and well suited to shovel logging. Although I would think that a couple 527's would smoke over this ground just as fast.

  224. #224580bruce2011-09-26 23:11

    Get Back Up There When They Seed! please? Bruce

  225. #225JTL2011-09-27 08:23

    Sometime this morning Bruce. I'll get ya some pictures, don't worry!

  226. #226580bruce2011-09-28 08:05

    Sweet!

  227. #227JTL2011-10-02 21:34

    Sorry it took so long Bruce. I have been running like there's no tomorrow getting moved to the next dump job, this time back in Arlington, OR. Heres a couple shots I was able to get.

  228. #228JTL2011-10-02 21:41

    They use these loaders to put fertilizer into helicopters. They pick the 2000 pound bag up with the jib, and dump it into the hopper. They then dump the hopper into the spreader mounted on the chopper. I'm really gonna miss working over there..

  229. #229580bruce2011-10-02 23:06

    Thanks for the pics! Terra must not have gotten the job?The did a ton of Weyco seeding at one time.I will agree,working up there was a good time! Thanks again,and keep postin!

  230. #230DiamondLTruckin2012-01-12 02:36

    Contract Logger, You'd appreciate these, Here's 2 old Weyerhaeuser Macks that were bought by Clark's Ready Mix out of Jackson WY shortly after Mt St Helens blew. My old man went out to the west coast and drove em home piggybacked. I'll talk with him soon and try to get any more information for ya. Here's a picture he took when he got to their yard, shortly before they got the infamous (to Jackson) red and white Clark's paint job.

  231. #231Vigilant2012-01-12 20:02

    They look like R700s, but hard to tell for sure from that angle. I can't imagine anyone going to the expense of mounting a mixer body on trucks in that shape, especially if they had to retrofit FEPTOs.

  232. #232DiamondLTruckin2012-01-12 20:04

    They could've also gotten a dump bed or been used to pull their bellys or rock tubs. I'll talk to my dad and get the rest of the story.

  233. #233Vigilant2012-10-20 22:48

    Great thread, and could use a bump.

  234. #234580bruce2012-10-20 23:35

    I very much enjoyed this thread too!

  235. #235Vigilant2012-10-20 23:53

    Buck Farack.

  236. #236johnson2012-10-21 05:53

    Unless Reace had more than one TY-90 that is yarder is Y-9064.

  237. #237johnson2012-10-21 06:08

    This is another Weyco rig that wasn't mentioned I suspect this is Y-9061? I borrowed this pictures from the Thunderbird thread.

  238. #238ap40rocktruck2012-11-02 16:15

    Great photos on all the fabulous equipment. On the KW-Dart 120 log stacker, does anyone by chance have a copy of the sales lit on the beast? I am looking for a scan of it that tells all the specs & has a drawing of it! A good friend of mine & I are wanting to scratch build a few 1/25 scale models of this fascinating machine. Many thanks in advance, Ap40rocktruck

  239. #239PacificEd2012-11-03 21:20

    I noticed in this picture of the C500 with lowbed, that the water tank is between the cab and headache rack. Other KW's and Mack's with logging trailers show the tank behind the headache rack. Were they built both ways or was the truck pictured modified because it pulled a lowboy?

  240. #240DonnyBoy5532015-08-23 18:46

    Here are some pictures of my Grandfather and his shovels. He ran shovel for Weyco out of Cosmopolis for nearly 30 years. The first is shovel 555, it was a link belt that had a log snorkel. I remember being with him while the lowboy was hauling it out of the woods, and right behind this lowboy was a second truck with the snorkel and counter weight. I also remember the lowboy drivers CB name...Banjo if anyone on here knows him. When I was a kid, probably 1990-ish the link belt caught on fire and the suppression system it failed, the burned out hulk sat in the cosi yard for some time. They replaced it with this Thunderbird, shovel 553. I recall that it had drums on it, I cant remember what model number it was though.

  241. #241Vigilant2015-08-23 19:39

    Welcome aboard, friend! Glad to see this thread come back to life. if your grandfather is still alive, please ask him if he remembers my late father, Charlie Pike. dad spent about 15 years with Weyco Cosi. He transferred to Vail as Supe after Carl Weiks retired there. Would love to see some more photos from Cosi. or Cosmopolis, for those not from the area.

  242. #242Vigilant2015-08-23 19:44

    Check out this group on Facebook. it is about Weyco history in Southwest Washington. https://www.facebook.com/groups/706343106123504/ In case you are not aware, there are some fine gents here who do not share our fond memories of 'The Company', and rightfully so. Weyco turned a bit ugly in later years, and they had a negative impact on a lot of people up North. Might be interesting to read the MacMillan Bloedel thread here.

  243. #243Hallback2015-08-23 20:05

    Banjo is still alive, he still lives in the Harbor.

  244. #244DonnyBoy5532015-08-23 23:02

    Yes sir, my grandpa is still very much alive, just saw him yesterday! I will certainly ask him about your father. I was just looking through his logging photo albums while I was there, if I had discovered this thread before today I would have snagged some more pictures. Hallback, I knew Banjo was still doing well...I saw him in this year at my great grandmothers funeral service in Montesano, honestly just couldnt remember his given name, it was always Banjo. Is it John?

  245. #245Vigilant2015-08-24 01:02

    Ask him if he remembers the greatest Shop Foreman of all times: Mr. Red Moore, Cosi's Shop Foreman back in the day.

  246. #246DonnyBoy5532016-10-20 20:47
  247. #247DonnyBoy5532016-10-20 20:50
  248. #248Chopper952020-04-26 20:29

    So 10 years later .… did anybody ever make the hike in to see that GT5 at Castle Lake? Wonder how it looks in 2020.

  249. #249Hallback2020-04-26 21:06

    I have not been in there since the early 90s.

  250. #250cubanator2020-05-07 16:47

    DonnyBoy553, another local fellow... You still lurking around the forum? Thanks for the pics!

  251. #251Tinkerer2020-05-17 14:20

    Send him a message in a private conversation and HEF will email him a notice that you started the conversation.

  252. #252MotoMatt2020-10-21 18:05

    I've been working in Longview for several weeks, went up to Coldwater Ridge last weekend. I'd like to check out the logs and equipment at Castle Lake but from what I can tell you need a $325 permit from Weyerhaeuser to drive back on those logging roads. Permits are sold out as well.

  253. #253Hallback2020-10-21 19:53

    You do not need to buy a permit to go up high to Castle Lake as that is state and federal ground up there and they cannot bar you from access.

  254. #254MotoMatt2020-10-21 23:08

    Good to know, I took a drive out there after work and turned back about 6 miles from the border of the national mounument/forest. I was on road 4250 I believe, does it run all the way to Castle Peak?. I’ve read about Road 3000 being gated off and it being 3 more miles to the south end of the lake?

  255. #255MotoMatt2020-10-22 15:36

    Did some more digging and found out road 3000 runs out around the bottom of the lake about where the red line is. My big question is to which red circle am I headed?

  256. #256Chopper952020-10-25 17:10

    Lower circle is where you want to be. Now is the time to find it with the foliage dropped.

  257. #257MotoMatt2020-10-26 00:01

    Well I hiked this today and didn’t see a thing other than some elk and a couple 6+ foot diameter logs

  258. #258Rusty Grapple2020-10-26 23:27

    The Skagit GT-5C yarder and Cat D8 are at the upper end of the lake in the canyon, directly under the 3000 road. We always parked up on the 3000 and hiked straight down into it. The end of the yarder boom is very near the water now, and the Cat D8 is up on the hill above the yarder, about 700 feet in front of it (The cat is in the white box in the first pic here). There is also a fire truck in the area but its a ways from the yarder and would likely be difficult to find now with all the vegetation. The first pics were taken in 1980. I have also attached a map with arrow pointing at the machine location.

  259. #259Rusty Grapple2020-10-26 23:32

    These are some pics taken in 2020 by a friend who hikes in there somewhat regularly with the kids. As you can see, the whole area is growing up in alder trees and the equipment is not as easy to spot as it was 20 years ago. The old iron is still there, just rusting back into the earth.

  260. #260Rusty Grapple2020-10-26 23:34

    Moto Matt, you had to have walked right near it on your hike, you were definitely in the right place. It is there, I'm bummed to see that you didnt find it. It is very near the shoreline of the lake, at the upper end. It looks like you were very very close for sure.

  261. #261MotoMatt2020-10-28 14:50

    Thanks for sharing, seeing the pictures takes away some of the disappointment. I think the location of the yarder must be the far southeast corner of the lake. I followed the creek down which should've put me right on top of it according to previous accounts. I think the creek's output has shifted a couple hundred feet to the west over the years. Other's caution is well founded, in addition, I'd recommend bringing a decent snack with some carbohydrates to consume at the bottom. I hit the wall (ran out of carbs) on the way up and wasn't able to sustain the exertion required to scramble up some of the very steep slopes (had to stop often bracing against trees to prevent sliding backwards). I'm 40 years old and not in excellent shape but I did hike 12 miles with 2700 feet of elevation gain the weekend before. The steepness and having to climb it at the end is the biggest danger in my opinion. Also, I believe it's technically against the rules to travel off trail anywhere in the Mt. St. Helens National Monument/Forest

  262. #262Spook2023-09-02 18:42

    I'm just coming out of the woods after hiking in September 1 and staying the night. I spent 15 minutes the night of the 1st and then another hour and a half this morning looking around for the yarder and coming up empty. We searched the alder woods pretty thoroughly and all we found was some bent up corrugated iron. The point on the image is the beach we camped on. It's a tough hike in and out, that's for sure! I see it was found in 2020 l, so it's got to be there three years later!

  263. #263Spook2023-09-02 20:20