Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What a dog

doublewide · 2016-01-16 19:15

Evening all, Recently brought my ’85 410B home for the winter. Like to have it on hand here for snow removal and like to do a few repairs etc.. in prep for the spring. Bought this machine in 2000 and since then have; added forks to the front bucket new alternator from JD dealer rebuilt the water pump with a kit from JD dealer new belts and coolant hoses replaced almost all of the hydraulic hoses had the brake master cylinder rebuilt new back tires added manual thumb JD factory rebuilt injector pump new injectors a couple of new pins and bushings had the stabilizer cylinders rebuilt new batteries not to mention the yearly filter and fluid changes ??? Anyway, got a few pins and bushings to replace this year and a cylinder on the hoe that will go in for a rebuild. This has always been a great machine and I really enjoy taking care of it. But what a dog!!! Don’t know if it’s the non turbo or what but it cannot get out of it’s own way! So much power to dig with, front and rear, lifts itself off the ground just fine, spins the rears when digging into a pile (mildly), but try and go any where and you better be ready for a long slow ride!, and in first gear!, cause if you try third, or even second and you come upon a hill, I mean a slight incline, you may come to an almost stand still! I’ve heard a lot about pulling the screen. Just can’t seem to find where the bleap that is. Yes I have the manuals. Still can’t figure out where it is. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies16
  1. #1hosspuller2016-01-16 21:11

    Sounds like your torque converter or reverser is giving you fair warning.

  2. #2d9gdon2016-01-16 22:37

    I guess you have checked the oil level in the torque converter? Sounds like hosspuller has it right.

  3. #3Tinkerer2016-01-18 06:59

    Is accelerator opening the throttle going to the wide open position ? If it is does, do the engine rpm's drop when the machine is going up an incline ? Or does the engine go to full rpm's as if there is no load on it. We need these details to help pin point the problem.

  4. #4lantraxco2016-01-18 15:36

    310B doesn't have a torque, it has a mechanical disconnect clutch, which may be slipping. Apparently the 310B also has a high and low range which I vaguely recall may be shifted with the reverser lever? Do we know if it's in low range? Parts pictures can be looked up here: http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt Look for "Transmission case filter... " you will see the screen, #9 in that drawing.

  5. #5d9gdon2016-01-18 20:55

    He's working on a 410B. It does have a torque converter... ...and it does have a clutch and disconnect like I remember, but I think he needs to check the oil in the reverser , as well as to make sure that the reverser filter has been changed. Check the filter for contamination. That should make more sense...

  6. #6lantraxco2016-01-18 21:43

    My BAD! apologies all around, that's what I get for reading two Deere threads in a row, LOL. Kindly ignore post #5, unless you happen to have a 310B, ahem....

  7. #7Oxbow2016-01-18 21:48

    Damn Lantraxco, your explanation was so plausible too!

  8. #8lantraxco2016-01-19 02:03

    Heh, if I don't know the answer, I'll surely spin you one out of whole cloth, LOL!

  9. #9d9gdon2016-01-19 07:27

    LOL, well it was a Monday.

  10. #10maddog2016-01-20 08:05

    As soon as I saw the title I figured it must be about a deere. I own a nice little JD excavator that isn't all to bad but it is a dog compared to others in the same class(IMHO)

  11. #11Grady2016-01-20 09:18

    doublewide, I can't help you with your dog but that sure is a sweet looking truck. I have an 84 F700 but she doesn't look like that - too many years behind the plow, I guess - and not enough maintenance. You must like her.

  12. #12wncgrown2016-01-28 14:59

    I have a 310b only had it for a few months and have a similar problem when moving I can't get any speed out of the machine when hitting even a slight uphill grade I'll have to shift down. If not it will bog down and kill the engine. Also the hoe seems to be a little weaker that I would have hoped. I noticed the other day when I had the hoe swung to the right which would be the left of the machine the stabilizer would not pick the machine up and further. It wasn't straining just wouldn't lift. I was wondering if I had a relief valve problem or maybe the stabilizer cylinder was was maybe weak or bypassing fluid. The rest of the operation seem a little slow according to the specs I have read, so many seconds to reach full height of the front loader, dump time and such. It gave a top speed in 8th gear of 18mph the most I seem to be able to get is around 13mph. So I have a hydraulic reverser but no torque converter?

  13. #13kranson2021-11-12 12:58

    I know I'm late to the party here, but figured I'd add a little note for prosperities sake... I've had a 410b for about 15yrs and if it's in 3rd or 4th gear and comes up on any sort of incline, no matter if it's on dirt or paved roads, it's like it deploys both an anchor and parachute at the same time... 4th is naturally way worse than 3rd... The RPMs drop off right away and then the speed falls off till it's unbearable and I usually stop and downshift... If the incline is steeper than a gradual incline that's technically a raise in elevation, and by steep, I mean anything that if you were to walk up you could tell you were walking on a hill, it may almost completely stop, especially in 4th gear, which makes the engine just bog down like there's no HP... On the flat or downhill, it'll fly like a bat... 4th is actually so fast on level ground it'll start bucking so bad it's undrivable and I have to slow down... It works fine sitting still and drives great in 1st or 2nd... I've changed all the filters and fluids a couple of times and it's never gotten any better or worse for doing so... I've even tried with and without the differential lock, putting more air in the tires and even cleaning all the mud off of it, nothing seems to make it work any better... "An old guy" told me when I first got it that the machine is just too heavy for that little motor, especially with just two-wheel drive, to get out of it's own way, but we all know how to take his advice... I did however start having an issue with the brakes hanging up on one side after the machine sat for a couple of years because I moved... It turned out to be one of the pistons in the master cylinder wouldn't return all the way out, which I'm assuming is actually a broken spring, because when I bled it, the pedal went all the way down and didn't come back up at all, but when I pressed the other side pedal, that popped the bad all the way up... So I'm guessing the equalizing valve was doing it's job, so I left that be... Anyway, after that, it did seem to work a little better on inclines in 3rd & 4th... What I'm not positive about is how long that was actually a problem to any degree... I always keep the two brake pedals locked together and never noticed the brakes dragging before, so who knows...

  14. #14doublewide2021-11-13 16:07

    I appreciate the input there @kranson , especially the point about going down hill in the higher gears. I still have the tractor but it's on home duty now. No where to go but around the yard. I noticed the steering cylinder leaking the other day so that's on my (long) list of things to do. Welcome to HEF!

  15. #15Scout_19692021-11-17 16:23

    Might want to start your own thread, so you get the best information.

  16. #16Local2022-11-25 12:56

    Okay , I feel better now . I also have a 410B 4x4and I love it . It's a super hard worker and digs great , however, it's not that great going from A to B . Sometimes when I have a job only 2 to 3 miles down the road , I'll just drive it . I am equipped with strobes etc. I live in mountainous terrain and I literally crawl in 1st gear up steep roads and driveways . I changed all the injectors and if anything , that made it worse . It revs and digs fine , just a very slow mover . I was contemplating getting the Injector pump overhauled . So I guess the 410 is just a very slow mover ....