Looking to pick up a dump truck for the farm, and am finding pricing to be weird. One 2003 10 wheel goes for $70,000. Another, goes for $15. Is there a reason for this, other than someone’s own ideas of worth?
Would have to see them in person, trucks are nuts nowadays and the second might not know or it's a pile.
Makes the biggest difference what brand of truck, with engine and transmission combination. There's a big step between a Peterbilt or KW with a big cat/cummins/detroit engine and 13/15/18 speed, and a old international county truck- with a dt466 or a maxxforce and a 6 speed spicer. Nobody wants a maxxforce.
As Craneop said it depends on the trucks spec's, condition, maintenance, etc, etc.. What spec's and age are you looking for?
Everything nowadays is gold plated. Simple as that. Tells me there are just too many millionaires now. Most all that over priced junk is just that. And likely needs everything rebuilt. They may say this or that has been rebuilt, the problem is hardly anyone does a decent job at that anymore. So that means said rebuild may be worse than not being "rebuilt".
Or people read "pre-emisson" or "elog exempt" and just throw their bank account at it despite it being ready for the junk heap.
The facts too personally I can dump some def in it and only have 8 days a month running I realize that doesn't work for most. But atleast here in pa anything elog exempt is a rust bucket anymore.
I'm told there's a two year or more wait list for new trucks, this has driven up the value of used trucks too.
I bet if you saw the trucks in person you'd see why one went for 15 and the other went for 70. If not, then starting and driving would make it obvious.
Thanks. Makes sense.
Not quite that long. My new Western Star was about 10 months. New tractors are starting to populate the lots and stock dump trucks are showing up too.
I was talking with someone who has a fleet of Peterbilt set up for heavy duty service, they're on a wait list they were told is 2+ years.
Totally correct-Way too much money floating around-people make haphazard decisions when money is burning a hole in there pocket. And junk it is--A cheap paint job, some chrome lug nut covers a new chrome stack, a set of cheap brake shoes and Viola $ 75,000 for a 25 year old stressed out pile of ****. Right now a standard on extras 389 Pete-$250,000 full blown with extras $300,000 and 16 months out. A stinking Freightliner Cascadia $270,000 and 11 months. A used truck 25 years old and the asking price of $75K and up better be rebuilt down to the bolts holding the license light on. Because for 75K it better come with all new virgin rubber and Bridgestone's at that. Right now for a new set of good drive tires not Chinese $ 4,700, steers $1,150, drop axle $875. And you just got started. First two things to take a dump the cooling system or the clutch. Remove the radiator and test the CAC and now it's both $3,000. On and on it goes.
Truck Shop, how true. And we wonder why all other things are so crazy price wise. It takes those house priced trucks to move the goods. No P discussions allowed, P and not allowed are the main reason for it all.
I agree - I just bought something today but it took me a long time to find what I wanted at the price I could afford. Prices are crazy and all over the place. One thing worth remembering: the person listing at the high price may have some crazy idea of how that price is going to help them. For example, I asked a guy who listed a normal and very used single axle way over what might have been a reasonable price ($25K!!!) why it was so high. His answer? It keeps the low ballers away. (OK! Not a good strategy.) Anyway, when I had a conversation with him, he gave me his real price which was right at what I thought it should be ($15K). My point? Ask questions, chat them up, make a reasonable offer with your rationale as to why you think their overpriced item should be worth whatever you think its worth (you can use comparisons, etc). O.
Just received a random truck sales ad I will see once a month or so from this place: [email protected] Looks like Schnieder dumping end of warranty Cascadias just at or over 500k and “Call for pricing” indicates well outside of reasonable.