Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What are choices in smallish maintainer/graders?

RenoHuskerDu · 2020-01-22 19:52

I have so far only seen BasicEquipment 601 and Mauldin M413XT. Each are small graders that would meet my needs. Huber such as M-700 or H1390 have a much shorter wheelbase so are not as useful. Basic Equipment and Mauldin just re-engineered their products to meet Tier 4 Final, added electronics (Huber looks like vulture capitalists bought the name, their flashy web site says "Product Acquisition and Integration Services LLC"). Gtfo, I don't want any of that malarkey, or the $80k price. So I'm scouring the used market for older products by SCE or Calder Brothers. Any other brands I should look for? Cats are too big for my business. An AC 65 might work.

Replies12
  1. #1Razorsedge20032020-01-23 17:11

    I got a Galion 503, works good for private roads and driveways.

  2. #2RenoHuskerDu2020-01-23 17:19

    How much does it weigh? I have a 14k trailer that can tow about 10k. More, I'd need to buy another trailer.

  3. #3Razorsedge20032020-01-23 17:24

    12-13000 I believe, never weighed it.

  4. #4RenoHuskerDu2020-01-23 17:25

    Trying to get technical data on these older graders is tough. Salesmen often don't know. Your tandem dual trailer is probably rated at 25k or more?

  5. #5Razorsedge20032020-01-23 17:26

    It’s about 18 ft long I think.

  6. #6Jumbo2020-01-24 11:33

    My Cat 212 is 13,000 pounds and 19' long, abut 9' high. (It is for sale also...)

  7. #7cuttin edge2020-01-24 12:10

    Makes my knuckles ache

  8. #8Jumbo2020-01-24 12:26

    Your knuckles may ache, but there is zero electronics to keep it from running. And I, who as an equipment mechanic makes a darn fine carpenterr can even fix it It even has heat to keep you toasty in the winter up in NB.....

  9. #9cuttin edge2020-01-24 12:36

    I ran one of those, and had to watch how I positioned my hands. But ran a 14E that you couldn't make it kick back

  10. #10Jumbo2020-01-24 12:42

    I just like stuff older than me, it makes me look/feel young..

  11. #11Razorsedge20032020-01-25 08:25

    That trailer is a 10 ton. I use that when I got to take some material with me. I would use a 14k trailer we’ve got but it’s not long enough. Haul a kubota svl95 on tracks just fine, it’s almost 12k. How long is the mold board on a cat 212? I don’t think I’ve seen one around here.

  12. #12Jumbo2020-01-25 09:53

    It came (1948) with a factory 10' moldboard, but somewhere along the way, they took the "optional" 12 factory extension, installed it and made it an 11' moldboard. Works real nice on driveways and such.