Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What are “normal” hours???

512high ยท 2014-05-22 15:15

Hi all, Bought a 2011 John Deere 244J(compact wheel loader) off a dealer, was used as a landscape material loader...I will use only for snow removal. My question is I bought it with 2,000 hours, not showing any "codes" etc...I changed engine oil and filter, greased every fitting I could find.. are these "high" hours? normal? I have NOT had hydraulic fluid changed or filter yet, have not changed "wheel oil", differential etc. Never worked on a machine like this, (had a small Kubota before this) I'm looking for advice from all you pros that use wheel loaders etc., I know mine is a small one, but I thought I would start here.Thanks!

Replies2
  1. #1lantraxco2014-05-22 18:36

    If you don't have any books, demand the operation and maintenance manual at least from the dealer you bought it from, this should have all the service intervals, etc. In my experience 2,000 hours a year would be "normal" use in construction, etc. Smaller machinery often gets a lot less use than the bigger units.

  2. #2512high2014-05-22 20:20

    lantraxo, thanks for the reply..i do have the maintenance manual showing basics, service interval, grease points etc. so, I figured the machine is 3 years old with 2,000 hours so 700 per year? or so with the previous owner,,.. you mentioned your experience...2,000 hours a year would be normal in construction, etc..so I guess my machine falls into normal? again thanks