Hi Cat fans, I'm looking at used cat 304 and 305's (particularly a 304e CR), but can't figure out what the .5, C or E or E2 or CR or combination of them mean. Could you enlighten me please?
Still hunting through old Cat materials, but am not finding anything with any detail. Anyone?
The C, E and E2 are different models of that size machine with the E2 being the newest of the three. The CR means reduced clearance tail swing.
Think the .5 means a longer stick.
And ‘e’ and ‘c’?
Different year models - the C is older than the E.
Ah, ok, thank you. So, C, D, E are model years, CR is reduced tail swing, and .5 is an evolution of that particular model year - do I have that right?
Not evolution different options on basically the same platform in minis .5 on cat is the base number with a different weight and possibly stick length but same foot print
Thanks for the clarification. As for the 305 CR; were the aux controls on the joystick or was it foot controlled?
I've got a 304CRE at work and the auxiliary circuit is a thumbwheel on the right joystick. I would imagine it's the same on the 305. If your planning to use the auxiliary circuit a lot you might consider different brands. I'm a Cat guy but I'm disappointed in the performance of our 304. Apparently there's a single pump on the machine and when you're running an attachment there's no pressure anywhere else. I have to release the auxiliary circuit in order to make any adjustments to the stick. I'm running a brush head a lot and it gets annoying.
That’s interesting. Cat is top of the class in aux pressures - sounds like it comes at a cost. Do you mean you have a 304E CR? I’m asking about a pre C,D,or E model. Just a 305 CR. I believe these were produced up until 2007 or so, and have the black band color scheme.
Yes, it's a 304e, a little over a year old. Can't comment on the older stuff. And to be honest, I haven't been impressed with the lifting capacity either. I've tried using it to move some big items in the yard and it gives up just a couple feet in the air. Not quite what I was expecting. That being said, it digs great! I don't have any complaints there. I've dug out some pretty big stumps without any trouble and trenching is its forte.
Ok, I'm clear on the C, D, E, and .5, and CR designations. But what about E2, as in 304e2 CR? Is that just an evolution of the 'E' meaning some new digital console or something along those lines?
Yea its what the manufacturers call a mid product update not enough changes to warrant the next series
I was looking at the 304C CR specs. They look identical to the 305e CR specs. Same weight, hp, bucket/arm breakout. The series gets smaller and more efficient over time, but do those two share a lot of commonality? They look the same to me. I can't even see how they are different aside from newer digital functions.
Were you comparing the factory spec sheets for the two models..?
More or less. Basically both are 10k machines, around 42hp, 5500 stick breakout, 10k bucket breakout. The 304e now specs much smaller but the 304c is similar to a 305e (which is also smaller).
Just worked on CR! CR and C CR use different main control valves! CR uses KYB - C CR - doesn’t look like KYB!
Different engines I see. Mitsubishi vs Cat. Only important to those who maintain them I guess.
The Mitsu is a far better engine.
Another question about CAT letter designations, what does the LC stand for? I believe its the long stick version but not sure because i havent been able to find an answer in 2 hours searchin. This is for a 305e2cr that the dealership calls a 305e2LC on paper. Op didnt mean to hijack but my question didnt warrant a new thread.
LC usually stands for Long underCarriage. That said, I don't see any mention of a 305E LC in SIS.
I've never heard of a mini being referred to as an LC, let alone badged as one. That designation applies to full-size tracked excavators. Do minis even have options as regards track frames apart from rubber or steel tracks.? AFAIK stick options are just part of the attachments. Two machines the same model can come off the production line with consecutive Serial Numbers (H5M01023 & H5M01024 for example). One can be a Std stick, the other a long stick.
Scroll down a few Caterpillar 305E2 Mini Excavators For Sale : Construction Equipment Guide New and Used Caterpillar 305E2 Mini Excavators for sale, added to and updated several times a day. www.constructionequipmentguide.com
LC is not an official factory model designation. The first machine on that link that is listed as an "LC" is H5M12004. Funnily enough it and the other two machines similarly listed are all being sold by the same entity. A figment of some salesman's imagination I would opine.... Even the seller's detailed description makes no mention of LC apart from the title line.