Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What brand excavator to get??

jjhdozing ยท 2017-08-06 22:34

Hi guys I have a 04 Deere 270c excavator and looking to upgrade. I've had Deere salesmen out and cat guy coming tomorrow. The Deere guys is kind of pushing me towards a 250G and said if I go a few thousands pounds lighter it's going to save me quite a bit of money but the horse power is just a hair more. Cat guy is looking to find me a 324E which would be a touch lighter but more horse power also. I had a guy come look at mine today that wants to buy it privately and told me to try and demo a komatsu and said I'd fall in love but I've never really even been around one. I like cats but you pay more and the deeres are pretty nice. Service isn't a big issue as I have murphy tractor for Deere and Ziegler both within an hour from me. What's everybody's .02$??? Thanks in advance

Replies5
  1. #1CM19952017-08-07 20:07

    I'm a Cat guy and steer towards Cat but that's me. However I don't like the Cat E body style, the ass is too big. I have an '11 321DLCR which I am very happy with. When it's time to replace the 321 I'll be demoing other brands just to see what's out there. Demo all 3 and pick which one you like best and is the best deal. Here all three brands are very competitive in price, the difference is the dealers and parts availability - Cat and Komatsu are close together and both blow away the Deere dealer.

  2. #2jjhdozing2017-08-07 20:43

    Have you ran a newer cat with that style? I was wondering if that affected any view or something? I haven't really been up close to one but I know what you mean by the ass is huge. Though maybe they tried to eliminate some of the tail swing?

  3. #392U 34062017-08-07 22:44

    I'm an Hitachi/Deere guy myself. I found their excavators were much more mechanic friendly than the Cat. I left the dealer a couple years ago so that may have changed though.

  4. #4chris pochari2017-08-07 23:20

    I'm beginning to think all the big name brands are of very similar quality. (Big name brands does not include SANY!) The local demolition contractor here uses CAT and Komatsu, that should tell you something as demolition is going to wear down equipment faster than any other job.

  5. #5CM19952017-08-07 23:33

    Long story but we had a 316E on rent paid for by Cat while our 321 was waiting on duocone seals. The cabs are great, nice and roomy. Good power and quick, I liked the machine for that aspect. Down side was you couldn't see anything around you that you couldn't see out of the cab glass which basically is the front glass and door. The rear view camera was busted- it was a rental... The large ass is to accommodate the Tier IV emissions stuff according to Cat.