Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What brand of Genset would you choose and why?

Azitizz ยท 2021-11-17 23:11

Seeing as I'm on the forum with the experts, with y other question, and we may be looking into the future to replace two 75KW diesel generators, Older Cat D330s, for a non-profit organization. One is for lighting and some essential apliances like refrigerators and computer server, and the other is for the fire suppresion system, in case there was ever a power outage and a fire at the same time, the 600V sprinkler pump could still run. I did a bit of general seraching, and found lots to choose from. I see Cummins, Isuzu Catepillar, John deere, Generac, Diperk and more. Where to start. What I would want of course is long-term maintainability, (parts and local knowledge base), and reliability. Any opinions? Thanks Michael

Replies19
  1. #1Birken Vogt2021-11-18 00:28

    Kohler is my brand of choice because I both sell them and fix them. So I know what goes on inside and I like good help when I have problems.

  2. #2MarshallPowerGen2021-11-18 00:59

    Birken beat me to it, but another vote for Kohler. If I go back to another dealer, it will be one of thiers. Excellent product at any size and excellent support.

  3. #3spark2021-11-18 09:37

    not generac

  4. #41693TA2021-11-18 10:02

    I, and team installed literally dozens of "Kohler" branded sets and I'm a strong proponent of them.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2021-11-18 11:00

    Buy them from a local dealer who knows what they are doing and can work with you through the process and will know how to fix them when they break. Nothing like customer spec-ed and installed generators they got on the internet somewhere and are not right or well thought out. For instance the large diesel on top of a mountain with a 300 gallon tank that no wholesaler wants to fill with crazy exhaust aftertreatment, that is right next to a bunch of 1000 gallon propane tanks.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2021-11-18 12:22

    Beat me to it but times this by 10

  7. #7crane operator2021-11-18 20:56

    I looked at a 70,000lb cat diesel generator, that they were wanting to install 10' off the backside of a lodge/restaurant/ resort this summer. "Do you guys realize how loud this is going to be when it kicks on at full throttle full load for its cycle test?" How impressed are your $300/ night guests going to be with that? The location is also 300' from the only access road, across 2 acres of lawn, and if they actually needed the generator for any amount of time, I pointed out the difficulty of getting fuel to it. No fuel truck has that kind of hose with them, so they would have to put in a lift station- tank and pumping station. The poor maintence guys that were looking at the generator with me- "this is what the high up muckety mucks want- we think its stupid too, but that's what they want". They are going to have to build a road across the yard and pray for dry weather just to get the crane and the lowboy with the generator in there in the first place.

  8. #8Birken Vogt2021-11-18 21:18

    The engine is 90% of the complication of the generator and far and away the most expensive part. It will take some digging but get them to tell you what make and model engine, what fuel system, what aftertreatment system it will have on it. Is it something one-of-a-kind or something that a local diesel mechanic will be able to work on when it is 15 years old.

  9. #9John C.2021-11-20 11:19

    We have a microwave repeater station here set up like that. Seven miles up a gravel road climbing all the way. Big heated building with two big gensets installed and a bed for a third when needed. Big Cummins and Cat diesels installed. 250 gallon day tanks next to the engines with auto fill systems. 10,000 gallon storage tank outside 30 feet lower than the building and behind it by around 50 feet. No check valves in the suction piping, so the transfer pumps, one for each day tank suck the seals out and pull air and now the autofill systems don't work. Someone dozed a pad on the side of the building so the fuel trucks could at least have a hose to reach the storage tank. Can't get a regular tank truck up that road so they fill from home heating oil trucks. Just brilliant design.

  10. #10kshansen2021-11-20 11:32

    Well with the BS we are dealing with our neighbor I would like to find a genset with a 4-53 naturally asperated Detroit and pray the power goes out early in the morning after they have one of their parties. A 4-53 Detroit would be a nice way to wake up with a hangover!

  11. #11JLarson2021-11-20 21:30

    I've wrenched or wired on a lot of different ones, top pics Cat, Cummins/Onan, Kohler. For trailer mount rigs, probably MQ. Ex AT&T long line site?

  12. #12Tyler d4c2021-11-20 22:03

    MQ is part of generac now company i work both one fall of 19 by March of 2020 (at conexpo) I more less b****ed the generac rep out that they wasn't to interested in fixing it. After that they attempted again. I think it finally is ok now. The first year or a bit more it was broke at every use. It was one of the MQ models from the buy out best I can tell.

  13. #13Birken Vogt2021-11-20 22:23

    I think you are thinking of Magnum which makes similar units. Generac bought them long ago. MQ is its own company, we have accounts with both of them. I agree, MQ very good for trailer mount. We do major repairs which is not usually economical on old gensets but MQ are so good people want to keep them fixed up.

  14. #14Tyler d4c2021-11-21 04:19

    You are correct I had them mixed up in my brain.

  15. #15Truck Shop2021-12-07 21:57

    Boss just bought a Kohler for his house this week.

  16. #16Birken Vogt2021-12-07 22:15

    Good choice, air or water cooled?

  17. #17Truck Shop2021-12-08 08:38

    Model #20RCAL--SER #339RGVJF0055, it's enclosed in a shipping crate.

  18. #18Birken Vogt2021-12-08 08:49

    Air cooled, 2 cylinder, lawn mower engine in a box, 3600 RPM. It's a good enough generator but it is amazing to me that even high end customers will not listen to the idea that a 4 cyl 1800 RPM quiet unit is what they should be installing at their mansion, not something that you pick up at Home Depot. But I don't know your boss.

  19. #19Truck Shop2021-12-08 14:15

    You are not missing anything.