Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What Browsers?

Squizzy246B · 2009-03-28 23:57

What browsers are everyone using these days?

Replies50
  1. #1Steve Frazier2009-03-29 00:09

    I use I/E since it's been the default on everything I've owned. I ran Netscape for a while but didn't really care for it. I'm open to suggestions that might cut down on some of the crap that gets through I/E.

  2. #2bill onthehill2009-03-29 04:40

    try firefox. It is free and works good. has a lot of auto spam blockers. I use it with thunderbird for mail.

  3. #3RocksnRoses2009-03-29 06:43

    Internet Explorer here, I haven't tried any of the others, so I don't know what they are like. Our service provider has a spam filter which takes out all of the crap, so I am reasonably happy with it. Rn'R.

  4. #4Wolfcsm2009-03-29 07:34

    IE at work mandated - do not like it at all. FIREFOX at home on any and all systems there. Lots of features. Updated often. Just works well. Hal

  5. #5stock2009-03-29 07:54

    I now use google due to issues with firefox mainl when you would log off it would not allow you to log on showing the error "firefox is already running log out to restart firefox" and the only way to fix the error was to restart the system.

  6. #695zIV2009-03-29 08:31

    I prefer Mozilla, but because my bank's system and when I'm not VPN'd into work I can't send e-mails with it I have to use Internet Explorer.:Banghead

  7. #7Squizzy246B2009-03-29 09:42

    I added Google Chrome to the list...sorry about that.

  8. #8zhkent2009-03-30 21:53

    Firefox or Opera Opera has kind of a cool speed dial page that shows 9 small web pages that you just click on to go there. To open that page you just click on the + that is right above the google search box

  9. #9HEO Girl2009-03-31 13:48

    I use Firfox and love it. Although you still need to use IE to get important updates for your computer because microsoft wont let you do it with Firefox :tong.

  10. #10mudmaker2009-04-01 15:10

    Since switching to firefox I have only opened IE when I have no other choice. I really like the spell checker!!

  11. #11Chuck Wintle2009-04-02 08:29

    Switched to Firefox sometime back and much prefer it to IE. MS has a very hard time responding to the market demands of the consumer because they are so big and bureaucratic, in my opinion. On the subject of Linux it will be the way to go for the future as hackers will continue to exploit the vulnerabilities of Windows. I only wish the scanning program used in Ubuntu recognized my scanner...until it does I am stuck working with Win XP.

  12. #12HEO Girl2009-04-02 12:10

    Hackers just pick on Windows because that's mostly what the vulnerable people use. Meaning the people who just know how to turn it on , who will click on anything in their email inbox. Especially love the people with routers that don't put pass word protection on them (Not that that would stop a hacker) . You can send them all kinds of funky things threw there network. Anyways if Linux was popular then probably they would start cracking that to, along with them there Apple contraptions.

  13. #13JDOFMEMI2009-04-02 13:30

    I agree with HOE girl about the hackers. They pick on whats popular. They know the smart users upgrade to something else, so they target the weak. I also think if one of the options, like firefox, gets too popular, it will have problems come up as well. I use Avant browser. It is also free, updates regular, and I have had no trouble in about 3 years of using it. I multi task, and it is not uncommon for me to have 20 or 30 different windows open and running at the same time. Never a problem with Avant. If I open a page that takes more than a second or two to open, I go to another page, work on it a while, then come back. Also, it works fine with microsoft updates. when I got my last computer, I opened IE, got online, downloaded Avant, shut down IE, then deleted the icons for IE off of everything except the all programs list, just so it can't get started by accident. Never used it since, and much happier for it.

  14. #149420pullpan2009-04-02 19:57

    I have been using Firefox for several years now. Seem to work the best for me.

  15. #15Squizzy246B2009-04-02 20:55

    I find that Firefox initially takes sometime to open up but when its running it seems much faster than IE. Its also heaps better at pop-up blocking and managing passwords. All around I wont be using IE unless I absolutley have to.

  16. #16landrvrnut222009-04-02 21:23

    I run a modified version of firefox. I tweeked to make it much faster than the standard version. I am running a dual system of Linux and Windows XP. Work Requires Windows, but I run it inside of Linux.

  17. #17stock2009-04-03 02:09

    The above error seems to have been repaired with the latest version of firefox did an upgrade recently and the issues it would appear to have been resolved,but now I find google a pleasure to use,fast and very user friendly but only time will tell if the protection of Firefox is as good with Google.

  18. #18Chuck Wintle2009-04-03 03:12

    The trouble with google, in my opinion, and I may be wrong here, is the issue of privacy. Is it possible for google to track all your online web surfing? I think the answer is yes and that makes me stay away from using it. :usa

  19. #19bear2009-04-03 06:28

    Internet Explorer 8. Firefox is allright but right now IR 8 do have the feature set I like.

  20. #20Chuck Wintle2009-04-03 09:51

    What tweaks did you make?

  21. #21landrvrnut222009-04-03 21:41

    Here is a good how-to. It basically sends 8 requests for a webpage. Whichever request makes the connection first, gets you to that page. Kinda like a machine gun, send 8 rounds, and one will hit. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Firefox-Load-Pages-Faster I also have firefox load into my ram, rather than having it accessed from the harddrive.

  22. #22Chuck Wintle2009-04-04 06:27

    landrvrnut, thanks

  23. #23DarrylMueller2009-04-12 02:50

    I had to switch to Fox fire from Netscape because Netscape stopped working at some sites but liked it the best, all in one and web page edit. I still use Netscape for HTML or web pages. I don't know why they quit Netscape and went to Foxfire, Mozilla is tied into both?

  24. #24stock2009-04-27 16:24

    `here's one for you! Climbdown over email database plan Home Secretary Jacqui Smith ditched plans for a giant Government database tracking all emails, phone calls and internet activity. Ms Smith said a central store of electronic data was an "extreme" solution and would have undermined privacy. Instead, records of every electronic connection made by Britons will be held by private companies at a cost of around £2 billion. Internet and telephone firms will be asked to collect and store vast amounts of information on who we are speaking to, what websites we are visiting and who we are exchanging emails with. Communications data - which excludes the content of messages and calls - will be held for at least a year so it can be accessed by Government agencies such as the police and security services. Ms Smith said the changes were needed to make sure law enforcement agencies and help them keep up with new technology. She said: "Advances in communications mean that there are ever more sophisticated ways to communicate and we need to ensure that we keep up with the technology being used by those who would seek to do us harm. "It is essential that the police and other crime-fighting agencies have the tools they need to do their job. However, to be clear, there are absolutely no plans for a single central store. She accepted concerns over privacy had undermined plans for a single data store. Privacy campaigners said it would have been an unjustified intrusion in to our lives and an unnecessary extension of "Big Brother" snooping. Ms Smith said: "There were two elements that I think people could be concerned about. One was the state holding the data. The other was the data all being concentrated in one place. "It is to overcome those concerns about privacy that the proposal involves Communication Service Providers retaining the data that comes from them and passes across their networks." Stock

  25. #25HEO Girl2009-04-28 12:29

    Anything you put on the internet belongs to the internet or whatever website you put it on . . It's a dog eat dog world on the internet really. No ones safe anywhere. To be honest I think hackers play Eany Meany Miny Mo to pick which people they steal money from. .

  26. #26Stovetop5352009-04-29 18:09

    I have never had good luck with netscape. I usually use explorer. After that I would vote for firefox.

  27. #27JonesBros2009-04-30 23:42

    I use Firefox w/ the Windows Vista-areo add on to make it look just like IE 8. I recently updated my IE7 to IE8 and no sooner than I first open IE the damn thing froze.. what a coincidence, so I stick with Firefox. For those running Firefox, Add Block Plus is the greatest app! No more adds nowhere!

  28. #28OCR2009-05-01 00:14

    Eeeew... I was about ready to up date to IE8... May be... I'll "sit back" for awhile... :cool2 What caused the freeze up... any idea? OCR

  29. #29Grader4me2009-05-01 05:27

    I updated to IE8 and I'm not having any problems at all :beatsme

  30. #30OCR2009-05-01 05:50

    I might go ahead and up date then... been wanting to for awhile now. OCR...

  31. #31JonesBros2009-05-01 23:30

    I don't know exactly what the deal was, I updated it Tuesday and restarted my laptop and no sooner than I connected to the internet and opened up the browser it froze. I switched to Firefox for that reason and had a pretty bad taste in my mouth from IE freezing non stop on me. So i'll stick with what works for me

  32. #32BigK752009-08-06 14:32

    I use firefox. Its faster and has ad blocking capability. I know IE has to these days. It also does not seem to have as many security issues as IE does. Claude

  33. #33razerface2009-08-08 20:47

    seamonkey

  34. #34Squizzy246B2009-08-08 22:01

    What is SeaMonkey like? I use FireFox but I'm interested because I have some issues with Thunderbird for business use.

  35. #35Wolf2009-08-08 22:07

    I have heard that firefox is better than IE, but I guess old habits die hard. I just upgraded my IE from a very antique and obsolete version 6.

  36. #36xcavator1202009-08-09 17:19

    While IE is getting better, it still is not as good as FF. However before switching to FF several years ago I used Maxthon. It was from there that I made the switch to FF. What turned me off on IE, was MS bullying attitude of use our browser or else. When they basically wove IE into their OS, so that it is near impossible to uninstall it, and it always wants to be the default, I decided nope, not even. I do have it installed, but very rarely use it.

  37. #37razerface2009-08-09 21:00

    Just like old netscape,,,,but less issues. Very fast browser. Has email integrated inside if you want it.

  38. #38excossack2009-08-27 15:42

    Firefox for me. IE at work.

  39. #39JointVenture2009-10-08 23:02

    IE 8 mostly .... Google Chrome sometimes.

  40. #40grumpy_guy2009-10-27 10:42

    FireFox, except for those few sites that require IE.

  41. #41Squizzy246B2010-01-24 08:26

    I installed SeaMonkey back in October and have been running it since. I'm very happy as its basically a version of Firefox with an integrated email program that solved the issues I had with Thunderbird. The only thing I don't like is not having the little "+" sign to open a new tab that FF has.....and, as yet, I haven't found the setting for making a new tab automatically the home page. The email program solved my signature issues and, overall, is a lot less complicated than Outlook to setup and use, whilst still having most of the features. Managing address books is shirtloads easier than Outlook. I put the latest version of IE on SWMBO's machine but she quickly went back to FF. All around I reckon Sea Monkey is a good deal....and I can't think why (in small business) I would ever buy MS Office again. The SunMicrosystems (Mozilla) stuff is every bit as good for Home and small office stuff.

  42. #42Telkwa2010-02-15 10:27

    I'm using Firefox within Ubuntu. Firefox is more secure than any version of IE, and GNU/Linux is way more secure than Windows. But really, a large part of staying safe on the Internet is using software that's NOT being targeted by the bad people. Microsoft products have the biggest targets painted on them. Apple's OS is considered 'safe', but that's largely because it's not being targeted. Linux enjoys that same advantage, multiplied several times over. Since Opera is a pretty good browser, one of the "safest" set-ups would be Opera on a Linux PC.

  43. #43jozzie2010-05-19 22:54

    Nothing but Firefox

  44. #44Tiny2010-05-20 20:43

    I have IE ,Firefox ,Goggle Chrome.IE was bad freeze ups and the like. started using fire fox but seemed to be a memory hog.Switched to Chrome and thats what I am using now.It works, dont care for the tab thingys but am getting use to it.Best out of the 3 Ive tried.

  45. #45hrlow22010-05-24 21:26

    New member here. I personally use the Opera browser, unless I am getting my monthly Windows Updates. Then it's IE.

  46. #46cat 325ccr2010-08-20 13:22

    Been using Safari for almost a year now

  47. #47BarnStarFarm2010-08-21 05:36

    Chrome for everything except when my son wants to watch Netflix vids online- then back to FF. Would not use I/E for anything at work or home.

  48. #48willie592011-03-18 21:26

    I've been extremely disappointed with Internet Explorer lately. It was working slow, IE lockups, even after performing system maintenance. HEF member Tiny said he uses Chrome, so I figured what the heck and downloaded it. I'm very happy with its performance, much faster than IE. Plus...and it's a big plus...it has a spell checker that works anywhere you're typing text using Chrome. Woo Hoo! Also noticed this, when you do google searches, you can place your cursor to the right of search link hit, left click once with mouse, and it gives you a screen preview of the link. As you scroll up and down the search page, it keeps giving you screen previews of each search link on the page. Pretty happy with Chrome.

  49. #49Grader4me2011-03-19 08:09

    I have used IE for years and haven't had any problems. I use the google tool bar that has a spell check. I just figure if it ain't broke don't fix it...lol I've tried other browsers, but keep going back to IE..

  50. #50stock2011-03-19 15:51

    Chrome for me still don't have any need to use the spam and virus gathering IE on my booter 'sept microsoft won't allow updates without it.