I have a 1966 Cat 950 wheel loader. Serial 90A342 . Bucket #5K3595-2 about 103” wide. I’ve ordered up two sets of cutting edges from caterpillar. Neither part number is remotely close. The holes in my bucket are approximate 11/16 diameter and 11 inches apart. All the cat edges use larger bolts and different bolt centers. Surely someone out there has an old cat loader and can furnish a part number for cutting edges and corners bits. I have two buckets for this old loader, they both have the same bolt centers, which I believe was pretty common back in the day. Thanks in advance, Jim
What Part Numbers did they sell you.?
They were the two cutting edge options that are listed in the parts manual for that series loader. I’m traveling at the moment. When I get home, I can look at the book. One cutting edge arrangement was one piece that was slightly wider than the bucket, and no corner bits. The bolt holes were too large and of different hole spacing. The second cutting edge order was to corner bits and two centerpieces. Once again, the bolt holes were wrong location, and diameter. I’ll be home in a few days and can post those part numbers. Thanks Nige, jim
I have the GET catalogue so I may be able to find something. Can you also post whatever length/width/thickness measurements you're sure of in regards to the cutting edges & end bits that are on the loader right now. How many holes in each and measurements between holes and between the last hole and the end. As much info as you can supply....photos would also be good. By the sounds of your 11/16" hole size the bolts ought to be 5/8".
Nige, The details; 104” wide bucket, Ten holes on 11” centers. The outermost holes are 2 1/2” from the edge of the bucket, 11/16” diameter. There are 2 rows of 10 holes(for teeth). 6k4659 assembly (5k3697 and 5k3698 corners and edge 5k4660) is one option that was ordered by the dealer. I recall the holes were 1” diameter and had different hole centers. The other option was a one piece full width cutting edge. I will have to get that part number next week. The bucket has no cutting edges at this time. Likely the previous owner got frustrated and gave up. this is a picture of my bucket with teeth. I’m trying to find Cutting Edges for a second bucket just like this. thanks
That be a weld on edge ,Ace. Bad Bob
Ugh! Cat did not make a bolt on edge for that bucket? I have seen many other 950s of that vintage with Bolt on Cutting Edges and the same hole layout. Are they using a home made edges? jim
Cat lists 2 styles of bolt on Cutting Edges for this bucket. Neither of them are prepped for welding in addition to the bolt holes being completely different. Clear as mud!
The part of the bucket often referred to as either the "base edge" or the "lip" (#1 in the drawing below) is part of the bucket assembly and is welded to it. It is the base edge that has the bolt holes in it to fix the teeth or cutting edges as appropriate. The base edge is what Bob was referring to. The bucket in your photo is a General Purpose (GP) bucket that generally is designed to have teeth installed, not a cutting edge. Generally GP buckets in this size range have pairs of holes spaced across the base edge for the hardware that secures the tooth adapters. Some buckets also have additional holes in them for the installation of wear plates in between the adapters as per the illustration above, others don't. Yours is in the 2nd group. By comparison a Material Handling (aka Light Material) bucket generally has a single row of bolt holes equally-spaced all the way across the base edge, designed for bolt-on GET in the form of flat cutting edges and end bits. IMO you are going to struggle to find bolt-on cutting edges "out of the box" to fit your bucket.
Thanks for the education Nige, If I replace that bucket lip to accommodate bolt on Cutting Edges what grade steel should that be? Can the parts guys at Cat use the number for the Cutting Edges that I had ordered and back into a part number for a replacement lip that will fit those edges? I need to get into apples and apples and not apples and oranges. thanks.
Get all the Part Numbers together (your post above was missing some) and post all the information you've got about "wrong" parts. I'll take a look under a few rocks and see what turns up.