Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What do I have?

Old Junk Man ยท 2015-06-12 17:08

I was pretty confident I bought a White elephant 3010 wheel tractor backhoe. Now Im not so sure? The exhaust on my engine is located at the right passenger side and the intake is on the left. the front hubs are different than those pictured for a 3010 wheel. Any way its difficult to figure out what is needed to fix the steering & brakes. If I don't know what model it is. There are not any serial numbers that I can find?

Replies23
  1. #1Deere500a2015-06-12 19:47

    It looks more like a early 500 maybe 400 series then a 2010 or 3010 hoe

  2. #2lantraxco2015-06-12 19:53

    Check the top of the frame rail alongside the engine, somewhere near the flywheel housing?

  3. #3Deere500a2015-06-12 20:07

    The green 3020 ag tractor was the brother to the yellow 500 hoe

  4. #4Blueboy2015-06-12 22:34

    I have no idea, but I like it:usa

  5. #5Old Junk Man2015-06-12 23:08

    the original color was yellow. the green is a respray.

  6. #6davo7272015-06-12 23:50

    Based on some google ing. I vote for 500B

  7. #7davo7272015-06-12 23:54

    Or maybe 500A

  8. #8Deere500a2015-06-13 11:42

    1964 the 500 backhoe started at serial #50000- 500A stared #101000. The tag maybe on transmission housing

  9. #9Old Junk Man2015-06-13 13:07

    Ive looked the machine all over and haven't found any serial number. Ther is a place on the center rear trans housing that looks like there was a tag at some time in the distant past. Ive got a 720 page book ordered that covers al the models made in the 60,s. hopefully ill be able to positively identify what I bought. Ive got a medium size cletrac. If nothing ellse the backhoe & loader can be put on it. With a torch & welder anything can be made to work.

  10. #10davo7272015-06-13 13:21

    Whats wrong with it?

  11. #11Old Junk Man2015-06-13 14:37

    The power steering & brakes don't work. The backhoe hyds and front loader are very strong. The tractor has a seperate system for the brakes & steering. there is a pump in the transmission that provides the hyd pressure. I know its working because the transmission reverse & forward works and those clutches Require hyd pressure. I only paid $2300 so I can afford to spend that much again and still have a cheap backhoe.

  12. #12Old Junk Man2015-06-15 20:52

    Ok I got a book on the 3000 series tractors. and its not a 3010 or a 3020. It has the exhaust on the right side when sitting in the seat. also on that side is a roosamaster injection pump, oil dipstick and a spin on oil filter. the intake manifold,starter and injectors are on the opposite side of the engine. Any one got any idea?

  13. #13davo7272015-06-15 21:02

    There are 500 a and or 500b manuals on e bay. Or Maybe go find a John Deere industrial dealer and go talk to someone in the parts or service department and show them some pics of what you have. They should be able to tell you what it is.

  14. #14Delmer2015-06-15 23:04

    Or go on jd parts and compare the parts that are different between the different backhoes. Loader linkage, stabilizers, swing motor, are some of the designs that have changed over the years. I don't know what the differences are in that era but some googleing should show you.

  15. #15davo7272015-06-16 05:06

    This pic is listed as a 500A . found on google and bing . says its from johnnypopper dot com.

  16. #16davo7272015-06-16 05:16

    500 model

  17. #17davo7272015-06-16 05:30

    The loader looks similar but the engine looks different.

  18. #18Old Junk Man2015-06-16 06:18

    davo thanks for the pictures. . On my tractor the wheels are different. and the air cleaner & exhaust are different. This rig came from govt surplus. The Vo tech had it for many years. those students in auto body likely painted it. Any way Im thinking its a wierd combo specially built to meet some kinda government spec,s. maybe something build overseas ? it has some metric fittings on the trans pump lines.

  19. #19Old Junk Man2015-06-16 14:41

    Today I was out taking stuff apart. And I pulled off a cast cover on the side of the trans housing. its right behind the clutch. it has three bolts holding it on. I found a fine mesh filter screen about three inches in diameter and about 8 inches long. it was pretty crusty and gooey. I cleaned it with gas and carb cleaner. The other Hyd tran filter I found is a John Deere AT 15282. The JD place has a $35 price on it. Is there a better priced filter available? also the square plate on the fender mounted tank has a screen filter and a carterage filter also. mounted on a long rod. its in need of service also.

  20. #20Deere500a2015-06-16 21:00

    JD 15828=Napa filter #7031 $28. Napa Auto parts has a lot of JD aftermarket filters in store.Baldwin #pt92 & wix have filters for her

  21. #21Old Junk Man2015-06-17 08:24

    I found a casting number on the engine block. T17513T. So Now im thinking it a 2010?

  22. #22thepumpguysc2015-06-17 09:30

    IF you can read the #'s off the nameplate on the injection pump, I can tell you what the engine is and possibly the model..

  23. #23Old Junk Man2015-06-17 11:04

    Ive got the casting numbers off of different housings. and Ive figured out its a 2010 wheel. just as much a white elephant as the 3010wheel.