Ok, just like many fire-fighter websites go on for pages about what guys carry with them in their turnout gear why not do one for us equipment guys. What do you guys carry with you in your truck? For myself right back to using my own truck, new job and all, but hate to be without tools or other things. The 4x4 S-10 doesn't leave much room for many things but I get in what I can. In the tool box Craftsman tool set(sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, etc) small sledge hammer few pry bars large and med adjustable wrench med pipe wrench few good vice grips large can full of bolts and nuts wire strippers/crimper wiring supplies duct and electrical tape 2 good log chains(one with slip hook on one end) bunge straps, and ratchet straps JB80, brake clean, slick spray, etc 10ton bottle jack rubber boots for muddy days and some other odd stuff Oil Box grease for grease guns 15w40 and 10w jugs fire extingushier funnel gallon jug of parts washer scrub brush(for parts) 10w30 oil for the truck(just in case,it does have 205,000 on it) truck box shovel rake scraper for cleaning machines witching rod sledge hammer generator(for the remote set fuel tanks, so i can get fuel out in the boonies) hand grease gun cab of truck window cleaner and cloth grease rags box of ear plugs hard hat battery grease gun and of course the LUNCH PAIL Just thought this would be a neat thread to see what yall carry with you. Enjoy Trbo
AAA Card and cell phone. Hahahahaha Sammy
Man, great thread. I really hope RollOverPete posts what he carries, I know he has a massive amount of tools and stuff, but I hope to get some insight as to what everyone else carries as well. I'm getting back into operating full time in 6 months, doing it part time right now for a buddy of mine so I don't carry more than I need to keep my truck running, but I'd like to be able to sell myself to a union company as someone who can handle all the maintenance and basic repairs of just about any machine with tools I carry in my truck. Plus, I'm getting a new truck in a couple weeks, what better time to make sure I get everything I need in it now so I'm ready to roll next spring. Here's the list of stuff that will certainly be in the tool box. -Craftsman 155 piece socket and wrench set, covers just about everything. -Set of gear wrenches, standard and metric -Oil filter wrench -Shop towels -Medium pipe wrench -12" crescent wrench, 16" crescent wrench -(2) 20 ton bottle jacks -(2) 30' 15,000 WLL tow straps -15' 1/2" grade 80 chain -(4) 5,000 WLL shackles -Lincoln 14 volt grease gun -Case of grease -Oil for truck and machine -Big jug of Gojo -Replacement grease gun tips -Duct and electrical tape -Wire and electrical tools -A couple wire brushes -Set of files -Bungee cords and a couple sets of ratchet straps, various lengths -Various sized punches and chisels -2 or 3 vice grips -Assorted set of fuses -14 volt cordless drill -14 volt cordless flashlight -Mini sledge -Bailing wire -A couple razor knives with lots of extra blades -Mini level and a 4 foot level -2 tape measures, 1 standard tape, 1 tape in 10ths -Loggers tape -1/2" electric impact wrench w/full set of sockets -Oil drain pan and a bucket to store waste liquids -Zip ties in assorted sizes -2 foot breaker bar -Fire extinguisher -WD40, Engine Brite, Simple Green -Windex and towels for cleaning windshields -I would like to have a gas powered compressor, but I don't think it would be absolutely necessary. We'll see what kind of job I end up getting. In the truck -3,000 watt power inverter -Alpine head unit with iPod interface :drinkup -Fibre Metal full brim hardhat -ANSI III safety vest In the box of the truck -Standard shovel -Push broom -Trenching shovel to clean undercarriages -20 pound sledge
Hey Cascade, already doing what I thought it would do, giving myself, and I am sure others ideas of what we could carry etc, isn't Simple Green the cats ***. Just a few things you listed I have but don't have in the truck, might be adding them if I can find room in the S-10. Forgot about a few things. 300 foot tape filter strap wrench large adjustable pliers XM RADIO lol Jar of Anti-Sieze blasting wire, pick this stuff up after a quarry blast, use it for TONS of things amber becon, if I escort wide loads saftey vest Fuel filters for the excavator and dozer zip ties Now I think i got everything, and when I get my company truck like the boss man said a few weeks ago, it will be bigger and I will have more room to put stuff:drinkup Trbo
Every job is different: The night before I mobilize for the job that day or week I make a list of stuff I will need. Then in the morning I drive my truck into my shop and start loading. I also have to load the trailer and dump truck . I end up at the shop after every day is over and unload or reload stuff I need for the next day. If the job is more than one day I will keep the stuff in the truck for the next. When that job is over I unload everything, put it all away, take inventory of what I have and clean out truck of all the garbage. Next job I start all over again, this way nothing ends up missing or lost and I don't have a bunch of stuff I don't need in the truck just asking to be ripped off. All I need on a daly basis for machine fixing is a basic tool set, anymore than that and I will take the machine back to the shop to be fixed. I could never put enough stuff in my truck to do repairs at the job site like I can at my shop. I also would have to have duplicates of alot of tools for the shop and truck. Most of my work is with in 10 miles of my shop. Also every time I go to the gravel pit or pick up stone I drive past my shop. My shop is on the same road as both pits in my town.
Oops
Hmmm- Cab: laptop digital camera inverter for laptop Cell phone charger Pepto Bismol, Advil - most important items sunglasses 2 MSA full brim hard hats So many freakin sets of plans assorted napkins, packs of ketchup and straws - in glove box A few CD's that I don't listen to assorted papers with phone and nextel numbers written all over them equipment and material brochures empty cups, water bottles, etc garage door opener dog leash for my little buddy Hi-viz green vest Bed of truck: 100 gal off-road fuel tank - electric pump weatherguard alum. tool box 1 gal motor oil 1 gal ELC coolant 1 gal hyd. oil 2 chains 2 ratchet binders 1/2" cable pull set of used 953C teeth drain spade machete a couple of warped 2ft grade stakes round point shovel 15lb sledge used chainsaw blade lever style grease gun various other debris that I am too lazy to clean out a nice patch of green grass from hauling grass seed and hay a couple of green T -posts Tool box: 5lb fire ext. 18V cordless hammer drill 18v cordless impact wrench zip ties scrubs in a bucket very well used craftsman tool box with every size socket except the one you are looking for assorted chisels, screwdrivers,hammers,pliers duct tape - of course! caution and surveyors tape pretty much every screw, bolt, nut, washer and nail ever made but only one or two of each (haven't been to the bottom of the box in a while - who knows what I really have) various "extra parts" where I took things apart and put them back together
04 gmc 3500 crewcab 90 gal weatherguard tank weatherguard crossbed toolbox and weatherguard packrat box various small tools 4 corner strobe system backup camera (if you pull a trailer this is a must) 07 550 crewcab 100 gal weatherguard tank scielzi contractor body dual plane laser with magnetic target victor journeyman oxy acetylene setup with hose reel and quick connects air compressor hose reel impacts etc lincoln elec grease gun (works great but want a grease pump) stihl chain saw and cutoff saw predator pro 10000 watt welder generator small inverter for charging batteries 10" jaw vise 4" pipe vise backup camera metrotech 850 locator pipe wreches up to 48" end wrenches and sockets up to 2 " shovels bar etc various grade checking items
who knows wahts all in mytoo box
Cool thread, Up front: razor knife, flashlights, pens and papers, forks, aspirin, sun screen, 300 ft tape, 9 mm, fuel filters, lincoln 12v charger and battery, 25 ft tape, torpedo level, scissors, phone book, hand level, ear plugs, gloves and stocking cap, rain coat, fuel filters, video camera, phone charger, garage door opener (truck won't fit in garage though), spectra-physics 1145 dual slope laser, machine mount laser receiver, 3/8 drill, overboots, O-ring set and assorted others, pressure gauges, fire extinguisher water jug and lunch box. In the bed in rear are side mount boxes that are the height of bed and same width as tire wells: 1/4,3/8, and 1/2 inch socket sets. assortment of pliers, screwdrivers, files, chisels, punches. hammers, wire brush, battery terminal cleaner, solder on battery terminals, solder, tape connectors. 3/8 to 1 1/2 end wrenches, metric end wrenches , 1 set metric sockets, star set. In the bed: 5 gall bucket for trash. 4 regular size tool boxes with 1: bolts, 2: nuts and washers, 3: saws, strap filter wrench, grease zerks, 4: 12 volt lincoln grease gun. regular shovel, spade, flat shovel, 4 cable come alongs, survey rod, tripod, jumper cables, cheater pipe, pipe to mount laser receiver on, prod rod, log chain, sledge, ax, rock bar, big screwdriver, couple bars, flags, orange paint, paint can holder so you don't have to bend over, bungees, spray oil, ether, anti-seize, butane blow torch, battery terminal spray, pipe soap, pipe glue and pipe cleaner. 150 gallon fuel tank and pump. Bungeed to the pump I have a 3" by about 30" long piece of pvc. Cap on one end, threaded plug on the other. Holds 3 tubes of grease and keeps them nice. Fixed up an oil trailer and take to jobs where need oil. Keep some 5 gallon buckets of oil in garage for when needed. Unloaded my poor old truck and went to a truck pull. 2000 Dodge
I have just about everything listed above in the Nissan.....except the big stuff like compressors and slip tanks. One thing I didn't see listed (I was only skimming ) was a magnatic tray. I paid $1.49 for mine at Walmart about 6 years ago and it was worth every penny...all 149 of them. :drinkup Also have the 48" Master key :naughty......for the times people try to keep the fire from spreading by locking the gate. My little JOBOX crossover tool box probably exceeds the half ton rating of my Nissan. :cool2 :laugh
My H&K .45 :drinkup
Something you wouldn't haul everyday,but for the times you break a hydraulic hose need to clean the radator. Would be a gas powered washer and 500 gallons more or less of water,unless close to water source and not in the booneys.
Oh brother.... Where do I start? Besides all the Cat O Rings, Aeroquip fittings, grease fittings, brass fittings, clamps, nuts, bolts, pins, retainers, bulbs, fuses, electrical stuff, oils, grease, hose, tire stuff, rivets, air tools up 3/4", impacts, grinders, hammers, bars, 20 ton air powered jack, chains, slings, infra red heat gun, drain plugs and caps, fuel caps, radiator caps, bailing wire, duct tape, 100 mil tape, thread files, tap n die sets, Allen, torx, sae and metric tools, fuel filters for what ever I'm running, Extra strength Tylenol, extra lighters, smokes, Imodium AD, rags, t-paper, extra boxer shorts, socks, shirt (doubles as t-paper), inverter.. Aw....crud....this could take forever.... 90% of the time I get lucky and have what I need. 5% of the time I get really lucky and can make what I need. 5% of the time I strike out and gotta go get what I need. Besides, I probably was hungry and needed a break anyways...
cold drinks and a change of clothes.
Nice thread. Our machines/trucks/jeeps carry all the equipment needed to repair/maintain what all the drivers are allowed to repair/maintain. 1. line of maintenance. When i go around i have a small insulated Volvo bag with: 1.aid kit Mobile charger Food(lunch) Water Coca cola/soda/milk A number of private CD's A yellow high vis jacket. My Leatherman wave helps me out of most problems, together with the machine/truck tools. In case of emergency i also have a blank order form, that makes me buy anything and get the bill later.(Army one) + my credit card, that i can use and write a travel bill later on if needed. If i am supposed to go out repair or recovery, i'll take a small truck with a crane and a 10' repair container full of tools and stuff. Makes anybody do almost any type of repairs.
1. Vise-Grip 5WR locking pliers. 2. Barlow tile knife. 3. Pocket full of Cat keys.
water engine oil hydraulic oil laser level pipe laser chainsaw cutoff saw set of sockets and wrenches 4"-24" cresent wrenches grease and gun few hammers zip ties bailing wire few rolls of different kinds of tape chain nylon sling jet set rags hand cleaner shovles, rakes, broom 80 gal fuel tank lots more but those get used the most
I use to have a truck full now a days I just have to bring myself. I still carry a lot of stuff for that I have always had for road side emergences like: S&W 9mm First aid kit Water Non-perishable food Road side flairs Small tool set Fuel filters Fuel additives 200lbs of chains, straps and other rigging equipment (smooths out the ride of my 3/4 ton) Axe Shovel Broom Change of cloths and cold weather gear Oil Starting fluid WD40 hand cleaner Duct tape Few squares of wax paper (beets the heck out of putting grease on your ball hitch) lots of rags A few bundles of stakes and hubs from old job(fire wood?) And I'm sure there is more I never should of got a short bed, but then I'm sure I would just have that much more junk in it.
2 track shovels grease/ grease gun 1 gallon jug of anitfrezze 1 gallon jug of oil funnels tape measure stick rule lock level 138 peice craftsmen tool set assorted screw drivers assorted size adjustbal wrecnches 5lb sledge inside the cab extra clothes hard hats saftey vests gloves ear plugs sun glasses
Guns in the truck I noticed Dozerboy said he carries a S&W 9mm for emergencies. How many of you guys carry guns in your trucks or keep them at home? What kind do you have. I thought this was pretty interesting: NEW YORK A Gallup Poll released this morning reveals that the average American owns 1.7 guns, with the average gun owner possessing 4.4 of them. The press is quick to promote stereotypes of the average gun owner as a white male, most likely Republican, living in a rural area or the South. But how well does reality match the image? The new Gallup Poll shows that the stereotype is not that far off, but with several twists.
I forgot to list those. In the truck: 9mm carbine rifle with pistol grip 410 pistol grip shotgun - (hey it was only $70 a few years ago, great snake killer) At home: Shot guns- 20ga single barrel Browning Gold Hunter 12ga over and under Ruger Red Label (probably my favorite) 12ga single barrel Browning Gold Hunter 18ga side by side Remington 12ga single shot - great-grandfathers hand made Rifles- 223 Panther Arms with flutted barrel (AR15) 306 Remington Pistols- 45cal Remington semiauto 22cal Ruger semiauto Don't carry a pistol in the truck because I have been to lazy to renew my pistol permit.
Almost every one I know here has guns or carries, but our crime rate doubled since Katrina so your wise too.
I just turned 21 and plan to get a pistol eventually. Will get a permit to carry as well. Have a Benelli Super Black Eagle 12 ga., Remington 870 Express 20 ga., and a Remington 870 with a 30" barrel from 1954 or 1956, can't remember what year my grandpa said he bought it, but he did say it was the first year Remington offered a pump style shotgun. Also have a Winchester Model 70 .308 thats about 25 years old and a Ruger .22LR for plinking targets, love that rifle. Back on track, how many feel having an air compressor is absolutely needed? I guess I'm on the fence about it, I don't really know what kind of job I'll have in the future, I'm merely planning ahead. But I'd like to be well equipped for repairs and maintenance in the field.
I think the decision to have an air compressor depends on several factors. If you are like Rollover Pete - work by yourself, operate several different machines and change locations regularly - then yes it is a neccesity. If you are working for an outfit that is running several pieces of iron on a project and has a dedicated service truck - then no it is not a neccesity. If you are an owner/operator with a few pieces of iron - then it becomes a neccesity. I have a dedicated service truck with an IR air compressor, 1/2" and 3/4" air lines and tools, Milller welder/generator, 100gal diesel, grease keg, oil and evac system, etc,etc. It's sort of homemade over the last few years - started with an old welding supply truck (99 4700 Int.) that has a very nice liftgate. I couldn't stomach $100k for one of those nice ones. Over the years I have probably invested $35k in this one. Recently I have outfitted a crew cab F450 4x4 that has an 11' goose body with a 100gal diesel tank, tool boxes, Dewalt gas powered compressor, 1/2" air hose reel and a grease keg. It's all neatly packed up by the headboard to still allow about 7' of bed space and access to the goose hitch in the bed. Theory being that the big service truck stays with the heavy iron and the 450 can hit the small stuff that is scattered around. We also use the 450 as a utility truck moving small iron around, blowing hay,etc. I have 11 peices of heavy iron, 3 pieces of small iron, 2 OTR dumps and 5 pickups. We do the service on all of our equipment and trucks except for 1000HR services.
Rather I’m working in the yard or on a job site I pretty much keep what I need on the machine I operate. I operate the same machine everyday so I can do that. On my shear I keep 1 case of grease, grease gun 2 crescent wrenches one 12“ and one 18“, screw drivers, hammer, and 12lb sledge, chain and ratchet binder, 5 gal motor oil, gallon antifreeze, 17mm Allen socket and ¾ ratchet to work on the shear, shims and spare bolts, electrical tape and bailing wire and wire cutters. What I carry in my truck is the following. Rags, simple green, hand cleaner, T P, aspirin, lots of roll aids/ ant acid, 12†pipe wrench, various hand tools including sockets, screw drivers chisels and hammers electrical tape, duct tape, wire ties, wire connectors, fuses, rope, gloves, rubber and leather, 4 ratchet straps, 5 gal motor oil, 5 gal hydraulic oil, antifreeze, window washer fluid, penetrating oil, filter wrenches and spare filter for the machine,24 tubs of grease and grease gun, bailing wire, bottled water for drinking. All I can think of off hand. Over size tools I keep at home and load up when I need them. Just this evening I loaded up my generator and grinders and some ¾ “ brake bars and the sockets to go with them. I have to flip the blades on 2 shears tomorrow, torches are already on the job.
From Pete's Better Half Honey! Have you seen the kitchen sink? I know it's somehwere around here...:beatsme
I carry normal truck load of stuff like everyone else changes depends on type of job how far from home. One thing I did not see mentioned that I carry is cheap $5 tarp from harbor tool to use as ground cloth to stay out of mud and fire ants.
One thing I also added to the truck is some cash squirreled away in case I run short. A few times when my brother has plowed for me I have sent him for parts, it's nice to have a little $$$ there incase I don't have an account where he's headed.
things in truck fuel,carheart bibs and coat,chain saw,2-way radio ,cell phone everything else is in toolboxes on excavator!!!! WHAT I DON"T HAVE CALL THE MACHANIC THATS HIS JOB...........lol ointlaugh
:usa i have a glock model 19 chambered in 40 cal:usa
what do you carry a 45 always if legal. if not ?????????????????
What Do I Carry In MY Work Vehicle? Hi, Folks. Last time I was working for my current employer, I carried: 1/4', 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" square drive socket sets, full kit of ring and open end wrenches, assorted screwwdrivers, hex. keys, various types of pliers and vise grips, pry bars, '1,500 # tension wrench' (5 foot length of 2" pipe.), various hammers, thread tape, duct tape, insulating tape, grease and grease gun, spare grease nipples (zerk fittings) both short and long, spare grease gun coupler (chuck), various oils, 300+ litres of diesel fuel in tank fitted in back of truck, laser leveling emitter, staff sensor and magnetic-based machine sensor, 50 metre (165 foot) tape, 5 metre (16 foot) survey staff, collection of bolts, nuts, washers, cotter pins, spring retaining pins, ripper boot and bucket tooth pins and keepers, punches for same, spare ripper boots and bucket teeth - new and used, assorted timber blocks, assorted pegs and steel fence posts, 500 amp. jumper leads, 2 x funnels, oil containers for pouring oil into various holes in machine, Fir Staid Kit, 20' of 3/8" chain, assorted ropes, a couple of nylon webbing tie-down straps, some fencing wire, some electrical wire, several cans of pink spray paint (Closet graffiti artist.) - actually 'spray-on pegs', probably a few other minor items, AND the boss's complaints that I was carrying too much in his vehicle. This time around, I'm carrying more of what I WILL need and less of what might come in handy, including less of my own tools. There are 2 main reasons for the 'less tools' bit. First reason is he isn't keeping any tools of his own in the workshop other than 3/4" and 1" drive sockets so why should I supply tools to fill the gap when he won't pay (second reason) a tool allowance? NO guns other grease type - apparently we're a more civilised nation. LOL.
Man some of you fellas carry alot of stuff! For now all I carry is a jerry can filled with diesel, a cell phone, laptop, tons of drinking water, one jug of oil, a grease gun, and a basic set of sockets and screwdrivers. Im just starting out though, Im sure I will carry more and more!
what do u carry you guys and gals in australia have been robbed of one of the basic things of survival. i am able to keep a 45 with me 24/7s and would feel naked without it. and i am not an officer of any kind
Having a 45 is a basic thing to survive?! Not here in canada, you only feel naked up here if ya take all of your clothes off lol.
things u carry you guys and gals lost your rights too i think. i cant travel to alaska with my handgun because i have to travel through your country. i can legally carry my weapon in Alaska. your country will not grant me passage with a handgun. i had dreams of seeing Canada but will not because of your firearms laws.
Its all good man, up here you dont need to have the rights to carry arms. Even in the more violent areas, which most people never see, its not really necessary. I could get into that whole rights to carry arms things alot more, but Im guessing its kind off too contravoursal for these forums
what you carry yeah guess i get carried away sometimes. i have never needed one and hope i never do. after i posted yesterday i decided that this is a heavy equip board and i need to bow out
120 gals fuel oil 5 gal hyd fluid 2 gal motor oil 5 gal tractor fluid case anti freeze 2 case tube grease 3 grease guns ,1 electric grade stakes and laser extra air ,fuel , oil, hydro filters for misc machines( never seem to have the right one ) HD jump pack spade and flat shovel smaller husky chain saw 2 chains 20' jump cables tool box with the works from electrical to 1 1/2 wrench and almost everything in between ( never seem to have exactlly what i need but alway seem to get it done with what ive got :beatsme ) drawer full of assorted nuts and bolts as well as other stuff tons of misc stuff ex. paper work, calculator ,invoices,. bus. cards, rags rubber gloves, ear protection, hd gloves ,overalls, mud boots, and some extra warm clothes dont need guns where i work usual the invoice is enough to scare them away :drinkup :drinkup seems to be everything i need but im sure m0nday ill need something i dont have with me mondays :throwup
Ruger mm & 2 clips Aladin coffee thermos What else is there?
what u carry a-men there are a few of us left.:usa
Rugers or 45's????????? Hello, Jughead and Cat 287B. May I ask what colour skin shows up under your respective collars? LOL. Get real. I may be wrong but I thought the original intent of this thread was for people to list the tools and gear that they carry for their WORK. So are you 2 bounty hunters or something?
what u carry on some of the stand up comedy channels in the US there is a line "you mite be a redneck if" most of the lines fit this old man. by the way i REALLY like this board and hope i never offend anyone here. i have learned more in a few short weeks than i ever did in the 10-12 years i have been"PLAYING" with some heavy equip.
On the topic of personal characteristics Hi, Jughead. I personally have no objection to anybody being who and what they want to be - - - so long as they don't expect me to conform to their ideas of who and what I ought to be. I only asked the question because you and Cat287B seemed to think it was important to carry a sidearm in the 21st century. BTW, I didn't miss your earlier post about getting carried away. Good for you. Yes, I grant you that we Australians have had that 'right' taken away from us, IMHO not to the betterment of the country. What our politicians did not admit to when they formulated this particular law was that it would only stop the law-abiding carrying guns. Those with no respect for the law will still find ways to obtain and carry firearms as and when they want to. I'd be surprised if there has been any substantial reduction of firearms-related holdups since those laws were introduced. There may have been a noticeable reduction in the number of domestic violence cases involving firearms. I don't know as I have not seen any figures relating to this. I agree with you that this forum is a great place to learn. I just hope that Cat287B learns fairly quickly that there are jobs that are just made for skid steers and jobs that are way beyond their scope. We have had one or two folks come here preaching some line or other in the past and they don't seem to be here any more. Steve and the other moderators/administrators keep a pretty close eye on it and my hat is off to them for the way they handle that task. Thank you, gentlemen. (Although I think Digger242j may be a little ticked off that I would not allow him to bring out his jackboots and riding crop to use in his administrative duties. LOL.)
Work tools clothes My 1st time here, but not a newcomer to the dirt moving trade. 38 years and still going. Hard to believe. Remote jobs here in Alaska, we carry a bag, with gloves , rain gear, sweater,coveralls, Parka, etc depending on job location, and time of year. Extra clothing comes in handy, in case your broke down, or got to help someone stuck or spot material, etc. Also a insulated lunch box and / or munchies for snacks during the day. Nowadays, everyone carries water bottles, it seems . Something not seen few years ago. When on the road system, most everyone has a few basic tools, tow chain or strap, jumper cables, jack, etc. Also phone cards are carried about nowadays, as you don't need to hunt for change at a pay phone. Of course everyone in town seems to have a cell phone, but they don't cover everywhere.
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Northart! :drinkup
Work items Thanks Countryboy, for the welcome . I stumbled onto this site from Google, looking for info on the new D6K and the Cat 24M series grader. Most interesting site.
what you carrywith you What I carry try about $60,000 worth of SnapOn tools not to mention the cost of my service truck so I can make about $40 bucks an hr the math just not come out right in this equation . Ah the life of a Heavy Duty Mechanic theres no life like it NOT LOL
Well, being a lazy truck driver and since the companies I work for seem to discourage anyone but mechanics working on the trucks, I travel light. First Aid Kit Flashlight Oil Spill Kit Leatherman Wave Multitool Duct tape Tie wire (bailing wire) Assortment of zip ties Extra bungee cords 3 lb. mini sledge hammer 5/8" 15' Tow cable (don't you dare push on my truck ointhead ) WD40 Fire Extenguisher (I have used mine for 2 car fires I have stumbled upon so far) Extra days medications (just never know when you will end up out of town) Gloves (2 pair) Old work boots (now that I think about it I should toss in dry socks too) Rain gear Extra safety vest Lighter (I do not smoke but it is handy when you least expect it) Extra bottled water and a dry towel Other than that, I always carry an one hundred dollar bill hidden in my wallet for emergencies. Some times nothing can save the day :woohoo like some cold hard cash.
2 shovels, flat and track cleaning, chains and tie binders, some oils, safety reflective vest, flashlights, 250 liter tidy tank, assorted tools, some with Fisher Price on them, pre-trip book, mainly used as a "doodle pad", spare keys for equipment and class 1 license.
DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it. WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh --' SKILL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short. PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters. BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs. HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.. VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand. OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.. TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity. PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads. STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms. PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part. HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short. HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit. UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use. Son of a b*tch TOOL: Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a b*tch' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.
I used to carry tons of tools to fix minor things....but then the mechanics tirade about removing a broken hose ... it only save him about 2 hours of work... I then handed him the cup of bolts and what not... then pulled my small rope from the machine..... you know that one that pulls the hose back thru the unreachable.. from point a to b... he was still ranting the next day.. the super came by and said you could have left the rope.. yeah maybe.. but there is another hose... he can take it off and pull a rope thru with it.. now my tools are my tools.... even if it's a fuse or even a wiper blade .. he is now blessed with a drive to fix it...
Hammer, screw driver, duct tape, Hay wire. If a man can't fix it with that he will never amount to anything.
CB, Cell phone, Credit cards( fuel and $$$) little craftsman tool kit, a BFH, and a cheeter bar... don't need much more than that i don't get paid to wrench!
Just the basic tools,chain,rope,shovel,gloves,handcleaner,snacks,some water and a 45 acp :guns :falldownlaugh
Myself, the nose bag,laptop, mobile-phones and my experience...........
Everything but the kitchen zink !
geesus, you guys need a list? can't believe what you all drag around
Are You guys that regular TOILET PAPER We are alomst always out in the middle of no where and it is a must.
I only bring -my lunch -phone -plenty of hydration -personal ppe -first aid supplies for me and whoever i'm working with. I don't bring anything else because they don't pay me to wrench and I slip seat all the time and anything left in a truck more than the next morning you'll never see again. I drive to our shop and company truck to where ever the work is. I even gave one of our foremen a 1/2" breaker bar and still can't get it back. If it breaks, I leave it and find something else to do, after I call the boss and the mechanic. I don't wait for mechanics either.
I have a 94 Dodge3500 flatbed company truck. Heres my list. 1/2 inch drive Proto socket/pull handle set to 1 1/4 Craftsmen wrenches Big taiwan wrenches up tp 2 inches and some home made tools A Blackhawk 3/4 ratchet and several sockets Screw drivers and pry bars Baling wire and electical Pliers and cutters. 16 HP IR compressor with 1/2 inc IR and 3/4 and 1 inch impacts, Miller Bobcat welers and tools Porta band saw. hammers Small old Chain hoist and hydraulic jack 1/2 inch drill Cheat pipes Chains one 5/8 choker. clevises An odd piece of steel or two. Starting fluid,brake cleaner, and PB Blaster. Grade rod and level. If we are on a big seperate job i keep bucket pins and teeth and their keepers on hand to. I also keep a towel, and a blanket in the truck. Extra clothes nothing like getting soaked from a blown hose at 6 am then having to wear it all day. 3 rolls of toilet paper, One good one for the machine one good one for the truck and one of the John wayne brand for every one else. I also carry a small 32 pistol. Ive run into alot of funny folks on the fill early in the morning. I also keep a pair of empty clean buckets on the truck for parts or leaks. I work at a private landfill but all this comes in handy and I did this on my previous jobs. I also keep 100 bucks stashed in the truck for parts runs.
First Aid Kit Grease Gun equipment keys rain gear in cold weather lots of clothes! several pair work gloves hard hat Funnel Leatherman Tool small pocket knife utility knife jumper cables a few different adjustable wrenches a few different size Vise-Grips ball peen hammer lots of drinking water lunch wallet extra work boots sneakers (for the ride home if my boots are really dirty) Windex Paper towels hand cleaner cell phone (I don't talk on it during working hours, I keep it with me in case of emergency) I never realized I carried so much stuff until I wrote in down.
springfield xd 9mm...oh sorry, wrong forum!
My most used and important tool is my cell phone
I have a basic set of metric and standard wrenches, pliars, vice grips, Channel locks, a 14" crescent wrench, and a few screwdrivers. Fluke 78 mulitmeter, set of fuel filters and water separator filter for my truck, fan and A/c belt for truck, two cans of ether, set of 4/0 20' long jumper cables, window cleaning spray, box of paper towels. I don't have time to wait for a mechanic and I want things fixed right, so I do it myself. I am sent to retrieve all the dead equipment so it is easier for me to get a machine running to load, if possible.
OK yah I know. I also carry a lot of stuff with me. Couldn't take time to fill out a 4 page list. I do have to do the same job as you. But, when I need the mechanic or another rig to pull the dead machine onto the lowboy the cell phone is my best friend.
You got that right ..don't leave extra money for important things like fish hooks:drinkup
Originally Posted by Mike What I carry try about $60,000 worth of SnapOn tools not to mention the cost of my service truck so I can make about $40 bucks an hr the math just not come out right in this equation . Ah the life of a Heavy Duty Mechanic theres no life like it NOT LOL You got that right ..don't leave Thats why I call the mechanic.
CM1995 do you have some pics of the f-450
IDODirt I sold that truck back in '09 when the economy tanked. I might have some pics but I don't know where. That 450 worked well although a 350 would've served the same and rode better..
Lets not forget, 2-3 coffee cans of pipe and hydraulic fittings that fit absolutely nothing you are working on.
Generally travel light with just basic tools & needs . Low tech will get you through where high tech has failed every time ........
I am just starting out on my own I've decided to start with compact equipment. I have a ford f-550 with 11ft service body and a kaufman 15k 7x20 bumper pull trailer. I will be renting for my first year. Any advice for me
Trick to not working on anything when not on the clock is don’t carry tools in your personal truck! Guess living on an island helps too, someone’s always close. lol