Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What do you do with junk rubber tires?

AmerIndependent ยท 2010-03-31 11:14

We've got quite a few tires that are not reusable. Some from fire damage, some with huge tears, and some just worn down to nothing. What do you guys do with your junk rubber tires? Does anybody know of a place that recycles them?

Replies32
  1. #1tuney4432010-03-31 13:33

    Doesn't your tire supplier know of a local recycler?Here in NY,we have to pay dearly to get rid of them.

  2. #2AmerIndependent2010-03-31 13:53

    We don't have a supplier, we buy machines for parts and get stuck with the junk tires. Just seems like there's gotta be a way to get rid of them without having to "pay dearly" for it. :crying

  3. #3mrfixitpaul2010-03-31 14:54

    Maybe these guys would be interested?? http://www.snowtechusa.com/page6.php

  4. #4AmerIndependent2010-03-31 16:10

    Wow, the things people think of! I don't think they'd want our tires though.

  5. #5AmerIndependent2010-04-01 19:35

    Bump. Anybody got any ideas?:beatsme

  6. #6QuickTrax2010-04-01 19:43

    We have the same issue with rubber tracks. I peddle them off on companies with excavators or dozers that want to walk across asphault or concrete streets. They work great for that.

  7. #7schmidtspumping2010-04-04 17:26

    test

  8. #8MKTEF2010-04-05 13:16

    Some use them on the outside of their harbour to anchor boats against. Drill holes in one side and hang them on the pier. Some firms have grinders that tears them into smal rubber parts. Then they can be burnt in cement plants. We have a shooting house, with rubber mats on the walls made of grinded tires. Then u can use redused 9 mm ammo inside.. I think u will have problems, not having to pay for the destruction of your old tires...

  9. #9landtekk2010-04-05 14:18

    The muni used them as a a barrier after having to replace the fence multiple times.

  10. #10OneWelder2010-04-05 15:49

    I can not help you as to where to get rid of them , years ago i sold the larger tire to a guy in New Bedford. He stamped the side walls into disks that they used on the fishing nets- they also were stamping out exhaust hangers, forklift tires , and that round connector at the steering box on older cars and trucks (before rack and pinion ) I am quite sure he is long out of business

  11. #11AmerIndependent2010-04-05 17:23

    Thanks for all the ideas guys! I really appreciate the input. Even so, it looks like we're still gonna have to pay to get them out of here. :Banghead By the way landtekk , that's some beautiful scenery you've got up there. :usa

  12. #12stumpjumper832010-04-05 19:15

    I will take all of the smooth ones you can get. I can't help you with the burned and torn, but smooth is no problem... I have a second use for them... Pm me if you wanna know more.

  13. #13qball2010-04-05 23:12

    heck, do like the hillbillies around here do. flydump 'em.

  14. #14alan627b2010-04-06 17:47

    One idividual you could contact is a member here, he goes by the screen name Serv. He is in the business of tire recycling in south Texas. He could probably help with some ideas. Might even be interested. Hope this helps, Alan

  15. #15AmerIndependent2010-04-06 18:41

    Thanks Alan, you're input is appreciated as always! I'll send him a message.

  16. #16DiamondLTruckin2010-04-06 18:58

    We have gotten several and made horse feeders out of them. Cut out one side's sidewal relatively close to the tread, cut some old crusher screen to fit over the bead's circle with about 5-6 inches to spare, run 4-6 bolts through the tire and old crusher screen, use big fender washers on both sides. Get some 4x4 or larger about 3 foot long and cap the ends, weld them parralell to eachother onto the crusher screen as a skid. You can also weld some chain to the skids, but I highly recomend cutting the chain so that any horses or other livestock can't trap their feet in there. The feeder we built is at my parents's house next time I'm over that way I'll take some pictures for ya. It's real handy in Windy Wyoming because you can actually feed your own horses and not your neighbor's. I'd recomend using WD-40 or some other penatrating oil when you cut out the top sidewall with a sawzall.

  17. #17AmerIndependent2010-04-12 13:10

    That's a pretty good idea. Thanks DiamondLTruckin !

  18. #18tnwestes2010-04-13 08:42

    I know there are some tire recyclers around here. Our county has a tire recycling program. I don't know if any of these guys accept anything but on road tires though. I assume you've looked for a tire recycler in your area, but, if not, I definitely would.

  19. #19mclark2010-05-04 02:44

    I've got rid of them by posting them as feeders/waters and play ground equipment on craigslist.org As feeders/waters you cut out top and fill inside hole with dry concrete, packing inside bead area under tire and topping off wheel area. filling with water slowly and let set, pump out water and refill etc until clear. Theres a utube video on this method also.

  20. #20AmerIndependent2010-05-04 09:49

    Thanks for the advice but it seems like a decent amount of work though... how much do you get for them anyway? Is it worth all the effort? Also, I think many of our tires are in too bad of condition for that sort of thing.

  21. #21fishangler2010-05-07 07:14

    try your local bass club, tractor tires make excelent fish habitates.or if youe close to a coast line they also use them to make artifical reefs with.

  22. #22wildhorse trnr2010-05-15 22:15

    There are several companies that recycle them into material for play ground matting. Also it is used in rock climbing gyms, etc..

  23. #23Brandt2010-10-19 13:22

    The fence idea is a good one - as long as you have lots of edge around your place! I'm going to have 4 that I will need to get rid of soon. When I ran a truck over the road I had this problem. After they were capped once nobody wanted them. I ended up taking them to a neighboring ranch that had their own "dump". After the filled the pit they would just bury it. Sorry that doesn't help much. Do ya have a Rim/Tire for a Case W20B loader (17.5-25) ??

  24. #24AmerIndependent2010-10-19 19:30

    Brandt, I don't personally have a rim/tire for your Case. We primarily stick to big Cat stuff here. I do have some connections though, I'll do some digging and get back to you.

  25. #25Cat Wrench2010-10-19 19:41

    These guys have been a good source for me regarding used case parts; http://www.sewlparts.com/ There website sucks but they know their Case parts.

  26. #261mancompany2010-10-26 01:17

    There is a company in south carolina that buys them and remans them. cant think of the name of the company. it was a discovery channel show "How its made" I think.

  27. #27lvvfarms2010-12-02 08:50

    The 5 foot or larger smooth ones work great in cattle country. We use them for water tanks or for feed bunks. They work great b/c the cattle can't wreck them and they are heavy enough that they can't move them around either.

  28. #28fast_st2010-12-02 10:46

    Well, up north there, up by SAC is Bandag tire retreading, they rebuild OTR and truck tires, maybe they could salvage your casings?

  29. #29Monte12552011-01-29 10:36

    I know this is an old thread but here goes anyway. Having done this for ten years as part of a welding business I used to take those old earthmover tires and etc and turn them into tire scrapers for use in feedlots and etc. First take a concrete saw and cut around the circumferance at about 20" from one sidewall while pulling the sides apart to keep the kerf open. Next take that same concrete/demo saw and cut across the bead to make two halves. There are a few things to consider before doing this though: first: make sure you are wearing a pair of coveralls that you can throw away when you are done and a pair of Tingley rubber boots that you can just peel off and throw away. (you'll see why in a short while) Second: when cutting use an abrasive steel or concrete saw blade, diamond wheels will just clog up and be useless. clean up of your demo saw is easily done with any kind of solvent like diesel or carb cleaner and etc however a good coating of diesel inside your cutting blade housing is recomended to minnimize you adhesion of the tire residue. I used to make the welded frames and etc also and sold them to my customers for around 1200 to 1500 a piece depending on the size of the scraper. Now as for what to do with the left over sidewall, well I'd just give em away to the local farmers or advertise them as free for the taking for weighting down large sheets of plastic or bunker piles. even the "unusable"tires can be given away to larger dairys or anyone with forage piles for this purpose as long as you take a wire snips and trim the exposed wire. As for the use of the skidsteer loader rubber tracks, well thats easy, use them for the pullbacks on the front of these scrapers and mount them with a row of bolts along the centerline. If done correctly a worn out track will easily become a pullback for these scrapers with very minimal effort, and also be reversable to extend the life of the pullback. Bottom line here guys, the crescents will sell for around 300 to 500 a piece and the pullbacks made from tracks can generate about 150 to 300 a piece for a 6 to 10 foot length. take that times the number of lengths you can get from a set of tracks and you just made your down payment on the new set! Something to think about anyway.......if anyone is interested, contact me, and I will gladly help out in any way I can.

  30. #30dsichewski2011-01-29 16:40

    I know this is an old thread but some others might be looking as well. my suggestion would be to check with local mines around your area. When I toured Syncrude up in Alberta back in 07 they took all of there garbage tires and placed them on the outside edge of there roads to act as a buffer for the trucks. Maybe mines down in the states or other places around the world do the same thing?

  31. #31621_Rocker2011-02-19 17:45

    From watching the Modern Marvels episode on Deep Freeze I learned of a company called Bristow Rubber Recycling in Oklahoma that uses liquid nitrogen to freeze the tire and then proceed to shatter the rubber where then they can magnetically separate the shredded rubber from the steel. I don't know if there are other places that do this or if they can handle large equipment tires.

  32. #32Glen19782011-02-19 17:54

    We use them to burn big brush piles. Not to best thing in the world but just sayin.