Curious as to what others are paying to dump at legal dump sites. Around here a tandem seems to go for 75-110. I've started a yard where I charge to dump, grind into double ground mulch and sell the mulch. In 4 months it has really taken off. My problem is going to be moving enough mulch to make room for the new stumps/brush. First go around I charged 75 for tandem/ tri, 50 for anything smaller...ton trucks, single axles, small dump trailers... I think I need to up the price. What would be fair to everyone?
Around here if they are clean the cogeneration plant pays us 12 dollars a ton to dump them, same with our green waste. If your chips are clean can you sell them to a cogen plant?
Hell, around here you could double your price and people would be lined up around the block to dump. There's not a lot of places around that will even take stumps no matter what the price.
Has the government cracked down on illegal dumping there too? If you can get that much for dump fees then why don't you open a stump dump/mulch yard?
Around here we just have to take ours to the landfill and that is 32.50 a ton or a minimum charge 32.50 I think! Jerry
Our landfill is 64/ton. And its 45 minutes away...
I just cleared a lot for a small parking lot. I used 40 yard boxes to dispose of the brush/stumps. $330 flat rate with a 6 ton cap and $17 a ton over. This project was on the north side, 20 miles away from my normal working area. Usually we load the brush on dump trucks and take it a private brush dump. Here brush and stumps are not a regulated waste. The last commercially operated brush dump charged $50 a load for tandems and tri's, they went out of business due to the economy a few years ago.
Using your boxes, eh?
No, we sold that company to a regional waste company in 2010. I have a good friend of mine that I now get boxes from.
Around here pulling stumps out is not very popular. For what a land clearing company will charg to cut the trees down and then grind the stumps just doesn't make removing the cost efficent.
In northern NJ it is 15/cy
The one recycling facility I go to charges $15 per yd.What cracks me up is DEC forbids stump dumping because of possible ''contaminated soil'' around the stump.Now,when/if a contaminated stump goes to an approved DEC recycling facility to get ground up,all those thousands of little mulch pieces can and will go into Johnny's playground.Makes PERFECT guberment sense now doesn't it.
I think I have you all beat (unfortunately) I just dumped (1) stump about 5 feet round and about 5 foot high at our local wood recycler. $375.
:jawdrop Wow that's outrageous, makes tree removal an expensive proposition.
That's California for you. They say you don't pay for sunshine ? baloney!!!! the most regulated state.
Brings up a very good point that is sort of on topic here. I would bet that the guy charging $375 is making the equivalent to the guys charging $50 a load around here. Take into consideration the cost of living, cost of property, taxes, fees, etc and there's probably not a difference in the profit margin - not the profit amount but the margin. Just a thought.
Makes me mighty glad that we can still burn trees, stumps, bush, etc around here! Repile and reburn once or twice and there's not much left to bury! Andrew
In my area there are places u can dump them for free. others do charge a small fee.
Yeah i was going to ask why you cant burn the stumps? in aus i know we can
We can burn in my area depending on what county your are in. In the county I am located in we can burn from Nov until May, although most cities have burn bans year around.
CM you are spot on regarding the profit. Nobody here in Ca is making good money. The guy I take stumps to has a crew that sorts - grinds along with equipment. His overhead is high (labor fuel maintenance) We all have that of course. The Air Resources Board (CARB) is killing us. Good running trucks and equipment is being shutdown due to regulations. By the way you cant burn in California stumps. I did and the fire dept showed up. Hell in San Francisco they outlawed your fireplace. ........Sorry for the rant and going off topic. Doug
Since this Forum reaches so many different areas of our Country and the world, there is often discussion of what things cost and what operators and other construction personnel make. What an operator makes in Alabama isn't comparable, dollar for dollar, to what an operator makes in say Cali or NYC - there are many variables involved. The biggest variable is cost of living. This economy is the same for small businesses. When I read what other people charge per hour for say a 20 ton hoe in other areas, I think to myself man I wish I could get that. We are all guilty of it but you have to step back and think what it costs them to do business in their local area. When the final numbers are crunched, the only thing that matters is what is left over at the end of the day.:cool2
Well said!
Correct me if I'm wrong (like I had to say that lol) but in MO we can burn and bury as long as it's not trucked offsite, once it's offsite it has to be at a registered recycler or landfill...... The same law applies to brush as well, however firewood that is "salvaged on-site" is considered suitable, same goes with houses as long as the boards are salvaged and cleaned onsite you are fine basically you cannot take a whole house to your farm and sift through the rubble to get what you want out of it ..... They say once it's loaded it has to remain loaded until it's tipped at a landfill At least that's the way I understand it and have always done it, I have to keep landfill recipts on file for 2 yrs as well as give the homeowner a copy of them for their records and NO a transfer station is not considered a registered landfill. Sorry for repeating myself I just couldn't get it to look right in black and white lol We do a lot of state/federal funded demolition and that's what I have always been told friggin government Pj
Late to the party, but felt I can add something. We pay 15 a yard for stump disposal and they are greedy when it comes to amounts. The old place used to charge 8/yd for brush and $12/yd for stumps. They stopped accepting loads, whether it was gubermint regulations or it wasn't profitable(one often causes the other right?), IDK. Either way, when we had a big october storm a few years ago you could see the value of having an operation that grinds wood debris. I believe I heard they sold off the chips to energy plants- making money on both ends