i do on sitr repair and my biggest contract. or i should say the guy that runs the compny here came to me the other day and told me in not so many words that is i wanted to keep doing the work that i would give him a kick back for every invoice the we send in i have never payed for work and dont like the idea i know some do do it
Oooh, I hate when that comes up. Is this guy the company owner, or an employer manager? Are you the owner of your company? If he owns the company and is just trying to generate some tax-free cash, and you own your company, you just have to look at whether you are willing to pay some extra taxes and consider it a cost of doing business. More likely, he is an employee who wants you to help him steal from the company he works for. I think about it this way: if I see a tool that belongs to my customer that is unattended, I don't steal it, so why would I steal from them for somebody else? If you lose their work, that is a bitter pill to swallow, but, at least you will have done the right thing. If you lose the work, you might want to give him a little while, then put a bug in his boss's ear. It might get him in trouble, but it'll probably keep you from working for them anymore, too. Good Luck, Mitch
I don't mind doing favours for blokes in a workshop,like can you machine this for my son's billy cart. When someone starts asking for money in return for the next job, that's a different matter. I never have gone along with that.
isn't that kind of like blackmail? maybe i'm a little naïve but I aint about to pay someone to give me work.
say sure and up all your rates 30% , Honestly that type of thing is not on i would say he is a lonely worker who things he is in a spot where he can make some money , if that is the case i would talk to the owner of the company about it. either way you come out on top maybe they fire him and keep you on.
Never pay for work and never rob from the hand that feeds you, I have in the past been involved with all sorts of Company tricks with the Boss's of the Co' so I was an asset to them not their workers, as already said fixing something simple or doing a small favour here and there is part of the game, but paying out hard coins that you might well be taxed on is a non starter or to much of a dark place in Hell to get involved with, I would stop work instantly until speaking with the Man that pay's the coins, buying work is no good.
ANo No No, turn him in. Go to upper management, he can say it was you're idea and thats you're. Word against his
Just write this on the bottom of the bill: " Kickback up charge, 10% over invoice"
I always try to operate by my personal mantra- "Ethics/morals in business is like your virginity, once it's gone you can never get em back" The reputation that you work so hard for, usually goes down the drain with em. I'd tell his boss. Taking the moral high ground doesn't pay the bills, but it will eventually enhance you cred.
i would go to the big boss & discuss this with him. iv been in this same boat, more in the last 2 years than ever before. lost 1 of the companys but the owner called me back & appoliged for his mistake & told me they fired the guy for stealing from the shop on camera!! I went to the owner of the other company & told him what happened. he said i was their guy didnt matter what he wanted!! made me feel good that day!! i got a xmas bonus from him this year
Been there myself, and to add some insight on it, I didn't bow down and kiss ass, lost the job due to the fact the owner didn't believe me, either way, I was out, even though the work was good. It can go either way for you, I'll agree with about everyone here on advice, once you go down the road of "being bought" your labeled for life and it'll cost you more in the end, when word gets out, your scamming the paying customer, your done for in business. I lost out on a lot of work over the deal, but after some time, its come back around, I now do work for some others, that heard what happened and how it went down, that did believe me. I'm now the only one they call, and it makes no difference who or what's involved, they trust me to be fair and honest with them, that and nobody ever tried it twice, I've been told I can't be bought off so those types don't even try anymore. Best of luck on however you decide to handle it.
Stealing is defined as taking something that is not yours. The guy that is demanding a kickback is wanting you to steal money from the company for himself - unless the Owner of the company knows what is going on and it's part of some sort of "bonus" system. I am not going to steal for myself, much less for someone else.:cool2
In any Western country, the type of behaviour you have encountered, with requests for "kickbacks", is bribery and straight-out fraud, and incurs serious criminal charges and jail time. Don't have any part of it. Once you comprise your position by giving kickbacks, there's no end to it, and you are highly likely to get dragged into a criminal investigation yourself, when this thug is uncovered - as he surely will be. If I were you, I'd report the kickback requests to your local police dept, and leave it to them. If they have no interest in investigating, then you have to go higher, to federal investigators. If you have no choice but to start paying kickbacks, keep financial records and even a video record - it will almost certainly be used as evidence in a court in the future.