I'm actually waiting to hear back from the Ford Co engineers about the actual towing capcity of my truck, but it will be sometime next week before I hear something. I've tried looking it up on line, but it seems to be a different number everywhere I look. We will be given a 13,500 lb RV trailer at the end of the month, and with some of the sites saying the max towing for an F350 is 12,000 my curiosity is taking over . . . what do you think the towing capcity is for this truck? I tried looking it up on Ford's Fleet site, but it only goes back to 2002. '96 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3 L diesel 3.55 Final Drive Limited Slip Rear
The 3.55 is only rated for 9,400. The 4.10 ratio which I have is rated for 13,400. Looked and it does not matter weather it is an automatic or the 5sp. JJ
That's a lot lower than I thought. I think the new F150's are rated to haul something like 8,000 lbs.
From what I have read the new F150's can be in the 10-11k range. I know there will be people that tell you you can't but I wouldn't think twice about pulling that camper with that truck.
Yup it will tow it just fine. Just make sure the trailer brakes are in good working condition. JJ
I looked up the owner's manual on Ford's website. According to it, my truck has a GCWR of 12,000 lbs and a max. trailer weight of 5,900 lbs. That doesn't seem right to me. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. I've attached a screen print of the table. If that is correct, my husband's '05 F150 can tow 400 lbs more than our F350!
Looks like that table is only for the gas engines, you would need to look at one that listed the diesel your truck has.
WesternStar - I didn't know they made 7 L gas engines. Hardline - You were right . . . I called Ford Motor Co. again today. They had one of their "researchers" call me back. The researcher said the max tow rate for my truck is 9,400 lbs. That's pretty sad. What's the point of having such a big truck if that's all it is going to haul? Oh well - it is what it is.