I believe it is a 2327. Its an allison auto, cat 3208 Which EVERYONE has said is a dog, especially in a truck like this. They have had NO luck selling it for 2 years. Here is what the guy said We are asking $17k for it but feel free to make an offer. We want to sell it this year and we are very motivated. I know the 3208 can be rebuilt cheaply, but how easy it would be for repowering with a cummins big cam? (I know... if you have to ask..) But this truck is really clean and only 700 miles away http://chtucker.home.bresnan.net/IMG_9036_5_1_1.jpg http://chtucker.home.bresnan.net/IMG_9037_6_1_1.jpg
The automatic is going to be the problem you will have to find another one to fit behind a engine with more power. I don't think the current transmission in that truck would stand up to a 400 Big Cam. Your best bet would be try find a 2 stroke detroit with a allison behind it ya I will get negative comments on suggesting a 2 stroke. Here is the thing many old retired fire trucks had 2 stroke power with a Allison you can find low mileage trucks for cheap. Take for example a ladder truck last year at Ritchies sold for cheap it had a turboed 8v71 with a big alli behind it. The engine had very low kilometers on it. The old 2 strokes worked good with a automatic because you could tromp the SOB to the floor and the engine loved it. I know some of you are probably not fans of the 92 series but a 8v92 in that plow truck would work good 475hp. The other option is try put clutch pedals etc into the truck and put a Cummins or Cat into it with a 8 or 13spd behind it. My concern would be more weight over the front axle the 400 Cummins isn't a light engine. Maybe a L-10 or a 3306 Cat would be a better choice both in the 10 litre 300hp range. The 3208 is a 10 litre engine but it will barf trying to put 300hp to the ground. I know where you can find 12v71s with Alli behind them they are used allot in offroad logging trucks in the area. Most of them are being retired because of the fuel consumption :laugh
weight isn't an issue with a 23k front end, the trucks came with up to 300hp Cummins... truck is rated for 46k Tires are at 90% (according to the seller), but I have not seen them. Says no rot on cab, spreader looks good inside. What would you pay is the most important question. They are asking more than my budget, but the guys seems pretty motivated as they have not had an offer in two years. Howard
Hard to say what kind of value but I did a quick search of Ritchie Bros results for prices on Oshkosh plow trucks only 3 sold one was a 1985 had 300 Cummins 10spd with dump box and plows it sold for 13,000. The other one a 1976 a 250 Cummins (small block no turbo) 5+3 gearing 12' front plow with a 11' wing that truck sold for 4000. All prices in US funds the 85 sold in California and the 76 sold in Minnisota. The other truck is a 68 it doesn't seem like it was a truck it sold for 3500. So them asking 17,000 is why that truck is still sitting plus the fact it has a 3208 Cat not a good engine and the Allison is a expensive pig to repair. If the tires are shot your looking at another 2000 bucks to replace them. I found another truck it is a 84 has Cat automatic 15' plow and a 9' box it sold for 5000 and it was in a Ritchies says MD I assume is that Maryland (sp) the sale price was 5000.00
I don't know if he would go that low. He says that they have not even had a looker. Obiviously, 13k is the max price, He paid 20k, I don't think he would go down to 9k?:spaz Which is what I guess it would be worth based on those auction results. The allison is a plus for me plowing... Dunno what to think, I am headed up to look at it on Wed, it is 700 miles away in Idaho. Howard
Howard all i know is when i tryed to sell my loader i see prices on same yaer machines going for more them my model no one would pay any more than what they went at auction if i got that. .so just because they payed alot does not mean they will get that now if all those models are selling for cheaper
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oshk...6QQihZ017QQcategoryZ63743QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem take a peek at that
That one in the Ebay link looks like a better deal it does have the first version of the 3208 but alteast it has a Road Ranger in it. Might turn out to be a better deal.
I have seen that truck and am looking at bidding on it.... at the last minute. It will cost probably $4000 to ship it though...Almost doubling the price. just looked at the guys feedback.... not so good on some expensive items. People have bought vehicles and are not happy, plus no delivery on payments of over $1600....not a guy I want to deal with long distance Dunno what to do...
If you like the truck and you have set budget. It's simple make offer that after shipping you have some left over. If they dont take what you offerd you can go always go up as high as budget allows. Dont be afraid to offer rediculisly (sp) low becuase you never know.