Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What does an old top kick weigh?

Parts ยท 2022-01-10 17:53

I know this is an impossibly impossible question since I don't even have that many details but...I am looking at an automatic cab and chassis top kick from the 80s. It has an automatic and cat V8 turbo diesel. Its a 33K GVWR truck. I don't need exact just curious if there is a safe range to assume before I put it on a scale. Looks to have 22.5 wheels and tires and its a regular cab GMC top kick. They're so old its really hard to find info on them but this one is pretty clean and without a body we could flat bed it. So around what is the cab and chassis weigh? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #11693TA2022-01-10 20:41

    Depends on how long, single or double frame for the most part. 33K GVW suggest a single drive axle. Is there a tag axle installed? If just a C&C with no tag, single frame is about 12K in weight. It could be a little heavier or lighter dependent upon how the chassis is set up.

  2. #2Delmer2022-01-10 22:12

    90 with a 6.6 straight 6 and a 5 speed and a lightish bed is 12K, so I agree the older v8 automatic will be close to that.

  3. #3Keith Merrell2022-01-10 23:16

    I had a 2001 GMC C6500 bobtail Cat 3126 motor 6 speed single axle 26k GVWR with a 10' dump bed. It ran 7.41 tons across the scales.

  4. #4Parts2022-01-12 09:40

    Wow thanks for the information. I would have guessed cab and chassis is 10K and no more. Looks like 12-14K is appropriate. Pickup trucks are 9-10K these days so I should have guessed.