I'm looking to install a driveway on a piece of property I just bought. I want to dig about 8" down to remove the topsoil and give me room to put a good base in, it will be about 1000' long. What is the best piece of equipment for skimming the top 8" of soil off? I was thinking a small dozer but wasn't sure. Thanks for the help
Yes, if i where to rent a machine for that job, wmonroe. I would rent a small dozer D3 - 450 size that would make quick work of that job. but do you have any culverts to install ??
Just a dry creek bed to cross. It only has a small amount of water after a heavy rain, so I figured a piece of 18" pipe would be more than adequate.
where is the property at, I might be able to help you out...
I would think about a large tracked skid steer. It will give you the ability to carry the spoil to another place to stack or level out. Unless you can just push the removed soil off to the edge. Many of the larger skidsteers will push like a small dozer. :my2c
The property is in sw PA, not too far from the Donegal exit on the turnpike. I hadn't thought about a tracked skid steer, that might be an idea.
Yes, i guess a tracked skid steer would work if you have to carry the top soil you strip off very far, plus you can get alot of other attachments if you need them as you go
It all depends on the plan for the spoils. If you just push it to the side and level and call it good,,, dozer IF your moving short distance on site.. tracked skid steer hauling off site or long distance, excavator If there are a lot of stumps, or big ass rocks, or its hard pan .... you may need 2 machines
I think you would do the best job with a medium sized front end loader. You'd be able to cut like a dozer, carry 10 times more than a skid steer, pile the material where ever you want, or spread it and level it if you prefer. Compact your road base effectively by wheel rolling it with material in the bucket for extra compaction weight, dig out stumps and rocks pretty easily in most conditions, load out excess material in trucks if you need to, even dig down to put in that pipe for your dry river bed. Also you can grade the driveway smooth everything off, and do all that very quickly because of a loaders ability to travel fast. I think it would be an all in one machine for your job.