Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What grade of steel plate for bucket hinge or bracket plates?

LCA078 ยท 2020-01-19 16:20

I need to modify a grubber to fit my Cat 325B. Grubber is brand new and was built to fit a Cat 315E (?) per the manufacturer. The grubber looks pretty large to be used on that small of hoe...maybe that's why it was never used and the reason I got it extremely cheap. Anyway, I just need to cut off the ears/hinge plates and make new ones with correct spacing. I'll cut out and reuse the pin mounting bushings which are 6" round stock by 5" long by boring them from 70mm to 80mm but that's easy for me. Current plates are 1" thick. I have access to free 1" A36 mild plate drops but am wondering if I should not use A36 for any reason? Is 1" enough or should I go thicker? Will need to order the thicker material so asking for advice here.

Replies3
  1. #1Stuk4x42020-01-21 21:53

    A36 should be no problem for the ears, most all the brackets I have modified are A36. If you run into problems send me a message and I will try to help you out. I set up and modify quite a few excavator attachments monthly. Walt

  2. #2LCA0782020-01-26 09:59

    Thanks, Stuk. I have an old Hendrix pin grabber so I'll build my ear with the pins. My plan is to assemble the ears, bushings, and pins off the grubber with clamps and tack-welding into a single unit and then set it in place on top of the grubber for tack-welding. After the tack-weld, I'll verify the dimensions are within spec before I weld it up tight. Any recommendations on this method? Also, I plan to use 3 1/8" 4140 preheat treated round bar stock for my pins. This is 3.125" diameter which is about 0.018" undersize for the 80mm pins called for Cat C-linkage. (I think C-linkage is really 79.85mm). I'll bore out my pin bosses to be actual (tight) for my pins to reduce slop. Any issues with using 4140 on the pins?

  3. #3Stuk4x42020-01-29 19:04

    You are definitely on the right track, for everything, 4140 is the way to go and is what we use out here for bosses and pins. Send me your email or phone number and I will send you some pictures of how I set them up when re bossing or attaching ears.