I just started a stump/brush dump 4 months ago. Sub contracted a grinder. It cost me about $17600 (40 hours grinder time and 3600 for mobilization/escort) for them to use their grinder ( a Daimond z 8000tkt) and I provided the hoe (volvo 160). Material is mixed stumps and brush. They produced about 1500 yards of double ground mulch for me to sell. The grinding bill was a lot more than I had anticipated. I project that the amount of dumping will go up as more people find out about my yard. I am considering purchasing a grinder. I have a friend that has an old ram type grinder that want to earn my business, but I think the production of that old grinder will be too low to be profitable. Thoughts on ram type grinders? Im thinking about a tub or horizontal feed grinder. I am not looking to get a bigger hoe. I am thinking a smaller grinder, if its a little slow then its not that big of a deal. I would rather save a lot of money and get a slower grinder than spend a lot of money on a big grinder that my 160 cant keep up with anyway. Questions: I dont see how a horizontal feed grinder can handle big 36" diam. stumps, but I talked to a local guy that has 2 horizontals and said he has never split a stump, so it must not be to big of a deal??? Can you reccomend a grinder for me and my needs? Thanks in advance!
We do everything from clearing, grading, demo and just about everything in between. I have been around a lot of grinders and I would say stay away from any ram style grinder whether it is a Maxigrind, Peterson, or morbark waste recycler. They are low production and high maintenance. We currently have a horizontal that we use on our own clearing jobs. As for stumps, you need to spilt most of them unless you have a big horizontal like a Morbark 7600 and you will still find ones you need to split. I know you are planning on regrinding your mulch and horizontals are tougher to change screens on. My advice would be a tub. I am partial to Morbark because I have been around them. I know they are built good and produce good. Diamond Z and Vermeer also build good machines as well. I am also impressed with Morbarks support. I am not sure who your dealer is but the factory support has always been good to us. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Chris
Yeah, I second that, I figure if you have mostly brush, trees and tops, get a horizontal, but if you have many stumps, use a tub. A horizontal will usually chew a stump down, but a tub is more efficient, just like a tub will eat a whole tree, but not as well as a horizontal.
What would be a good tub at a decent price for my application?
The smallest tub I would buy would be a 1200xl Morbark. Not sure there is such a thing as a decent price when looking for a grinder. Any idea what you want to spend? One thing to keep in mind when buying a grinder, if you buy a new one, you make a big payment, if you buy used, you make payments and repairs plus a healthy dose of down time. Look in the 800hp range for sure. Hope this helps, Chris