Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What hose and fittings do you carry on the truck?

machavis ยท 2014-03-09 14:50

I recently purchased a Parker KarryKrimp and a complete set of 43 series dies. The machine will do up to 5/8" 4 wire and up to 1 1/4" 2 wire. I have ordered the catalog from Parker, it should be here soon. I'm now trying to figure out what to carry on my truck. I never really paid attention to that stuff. I always removed the hose and took it to a local shop to have it reproduced. Then back to the machine for installation. I'm just trying to add a convience for my customers and myself. Any information would be helpful and appricated. Thanks, Mike

Replies7
  1. #1BillG2014-03-09 15:43

    When I first went on the road in 1973 doing equipment service you could carry most every fitting that you might need in one of the 24 bin Equipto cabinets. Today a 53' trailer probably wouldn't cover everything. The easiest way that I could think of just starting out making your own hoses would be. Go back through your invoices, hopefully your suppliers indicate fitting numbers used when they made one up for you. If you have everything in a computer it shouldn't take too long to get an idea what your most common usage is. From that point add what you believe you will need. Most of us work on so many different type machines that, what I use you may have no need for and vise verse.

  2. #2Mike L2014-03-09 16:56

    I hope you have a big truck cause just carrying all the hose you might need is gonna fill it up, not to mention all the fittings. my boss and I talked about setting up an enclosed trailer with a crimper, fittings, and hose. I wouldn't drag it around all the time but if I knew I might need it then i'd take it.

  3. #3simonsrplant2014-03-09 16:58

    I looked at getting a small porta powered crimper... Ended up ditching it as there was just too many variations, cost of stock and weight made it un profitable.

  4. #4FSERVICE2014-03-09 21:57

    there are a few questions that only you can answer... #1 how many different size hoses do you deal with on a weekly basis? #2 What is the longest hose you will need to make before you can get to a supply house to restock? #3how many different brands of equipment do you work on in your area? #4 Is it cost effective to stock all the needed ends on the truck? vs driving to a supply house to have it made? #5 think about how many miles will be on some of those fittings before they get used? #6 do you have the space & the extra capacity on the truck for all of this? I like the idea of the enclosed trailer just hook to it when you know you are going to a hose failure. I have 1 compartment that is set up for the hose crimper & fittings, it goes all the way to the other side of the truck its 5' tall x 4' wide & full width.. its packed full & it never fails when in out in BFE there will be something I wont have!!! but it has saved me several times from a very long ride to a supply house

  5. #5Hardline2014-03-09 22:42

    4-12 / wire hose. About 10-20 ft of each. A couple of each fitting from 4-12 jic male and female. Straight 45* And 90*. Same in k face fittings. Anything else I go to the hydraulic shop.

  6. #6adkhomeboy2014-03-10 22:48

    i have karry krimp 2 i keep the press in the truck,the hose is in a job box it is full -4/-16 2-4 wire .then add nonconductive? my fitting are in amo boxes by size and type.the cat XTmore job boxes. fittings jic,ors npt dont forget the jis for kobota.just got the metric oring for the snow groomers,pistonbully. flanges are next. itnever seams to stop.how many 2 straight 1 of the angled.its 100 miles to the store . so having it on hand is important.call by 12 ups will bring it @5pm.thats the joy of living in the woods. is it making money? yes/no but it get jobs and your foot in the door. good luck keep posting

  7. #7RobVG2014-03-19 20:57

    The boss asked me to put a crimper on my truck, I said no. With the number of fittings and sizes of hose I'd have to carry, it'd be a pain in the arse to manage, not to mention the cost of inventory just sitting there. There is a service in our area that will make and replace on site. Used em twice when I was in a bind. I make sure the operators have spares of the most commonly blown hoses and the tools to replace them. Parker was going to build a data base of all the hoses you buy, complete with your description of what they go to. I think they never followed up with it.