Hello, Im from CT and recently last year just purchased what i believe to be a 1950 - 55ish Hough HA 50 small mini Pay-loader? I have found many pictures and tons of info on small Hugh loaders but none have the same lifting/ bucket configuration. It has a Hercules flat head inline 4cyl engine that after a little tune up now purrs like a kitten. I also cleaned it up and painted it up alittle bit and also added a ton of strobes and running/ work lights so i can drive it around from point a to b when needed. Can anyone help me ID the actual model of her ? Yes it has a few " custom parts to replace the missing fairings etc. I am also looking for any parts info that i can gather because the only thing it really needs is wheel cylinders for the front brakes as they are a little leaky. I am also very strongly considering selling it due to money issues. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
few more pics few more pics
HI THERE I first thought that your loader was a Hough HA as well, but the lift linkage is not right for the small Hough. Then I thought maybe it is a TractoMotive which was bought by Allis-Chalmers & the model became the TL-6. But again the lift arms are not the same. What I do think you have is in fact a small Trojan which were made in Batavia NY. If you could post some pictures of the counterweight as the symbol is on there. Im guessing that you cant find the data plate anywhere. Any other pics you can post will help. I will see if I can find anything else.
Thank you so much for responding! I think you are correct!, The symbol on the counter weight ( that is covered by the chain in my earlier pictures) is in fact a large "T" inside a large inverted pyramid / triangle Symbol ( all raised about 1/4" off the convex surface of the counter weight) . I also followed your lead and researched some small Trojan loader pics online and the lifting arm is identical to that of mine. Although i was only able to find one very small pic on Google images to validate that. Do you know of anywhere i can get more info on this brand or any other pics that may be out there to help identify and narrow down this eaxat model i have? any help would be greatly appreciated!. I will also soon post more pictures ASAP, and will also try to decipher the faint ID plate on the top of the transmission as much as possible to help as requested. I will try to lightly sand the paint build up to get as much info as i can. Thank you again!
You can try here http://www.tractorparts.com/misc.htm for used parts, maybe a book, or here http://www.minnpar.com/ for Trojan parts. Good luck with that old one, you might get lucky though and find the wheel cylinders made by Bendix or someone.
I have it up for sale on Craigslist for pretty cheap if anyone is interested in owning it. Here is the link below and there are more pictures with it now and lots of information. http://newhaven.craigslist.org/grd/4151706514.html Please copy and paste the link if not clickable, and also if you guys can chime in with yur thoughts about what i have it priced at and if you think it is a fair price for the machine. Thank you! Jaime
Did you sell it Jamie? I see the ad is deleted -
yes sir. First person who came took her
Hey CT, Is there any way that you could post the new pictures on here as the craiglist ad is now gone. It will help people in the future ID machines in situations such as yours. Let the new owner know that hes got a rare oddball machine that needs to be saved. Take Care.
yes i certinly can, I will post the entire add below( that is now deleted on CL) . I hope someone can take something from the info. its pretty detailed, she was a great little machine and i already miss her. Below is the posting i had up............................ SMALL PAYLOADER / bob cat BOBCAT ( WHEEL LOADER ) - (Ansonia , CT) © craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap 206 main st image 1image 2image 3image 4image 5image 6image 7image 8image 9image 10image 11 Hello I have a small 1950ish front end loader for sale. It is a Trojan /Hough model. Hard to figure out which exact model because there are not many still around and if they are the old-timers who have them are not exactly internet savvy, not selling them or are not saying. It is a BOBCAT like machine. But not a Skid steer. It is front wheel drive and rear wheel steer ( similar to a forklift configuration) see pictures. It will lift plenty high engouh to get material into or out of a full size mason dump pick up truck. F-350 /450 the like etc. . . I have seen a few of them at auction but not many. That being said, the parts are available through modern day International Harvester as well as komatsu dealers. The parts are all the same as the old I/H machines. That also being said. . . In the time I have owned the machine I have not needed to replace one single major part! I only had to replace 1 hydraulic line ( which are all available at any NAPA auto parts store ) and do regular oil changes and normal maintenance. Great little Machine It has a flathead 4 cyl gas Hercules washakera aka (International Harvester) engine. Extremely!! Simple and easy to work on and is a great running reliable engine. Always starts right up even in the dead of winter just as fast as any car would with the flip of the key. Condition It runs and drives great. Starts right up and just runs and runs. For the year range it is in amazing condition. There is almost no rust other then a little surface rust on the bucket as in any piece of heavy machinery. The loader is mainly made of 1 inch and half inch old style steel and iron. VERY STRONG and well built . Almost over built and over kill on how thick the steel is, but I believe this was done to add weight so it could lift more and also as they say "things just aren't built like they used to be". Which is 100% true in this case. It is built so strong with such huge bolts its kind of ridiculous.. But that's a good thing for a piece of equipment like this. Just makes it heavier and stronger . ( NO structural rust at ALL ). It is a STRONG little machine that I have been happy to own. Has a few very minor leaks as again any tractor or piece of machinery this year would (NOTHING MAJOR). Nothing that keeps it from running and driving. For the age of this machine, I consider it to be in fantastic condition. I have taken very good care of it and hate to get rid of it but as I recently lost my job I have no choice but to start selling off a few tools until I get back on my feet. Specifications and description The size is aprox 10 feet by 5 feet with the bucket down.( about the same dimensions as a bobcat / BOBCAT . It is small and powerful. Don't let its compact size fool you, this is no "lawn tractor with a bucket" It is in fact a small piece of HEAVY equipment and Does require a somewhat heavy duty trailer for transport . A car trailer works fine. I have also had a AAA tow truck move it once on a flatbed as a favor to me from my old house to new house , so it will go on any flatbed truck also . 4 speed, two forward moving gears and two reverse gears ( standard transmission with clutch ) clutch is in great condition and can bee seen to be inspected. 1st gear is a crawler gear for pulling or heavy loads and 2nd is your travel speed ( moves along pretty good in 2nd for traveling down the road) It weighs approximately 4 to 5,000 pounds. ( Give or take a 2 to 3 ton machine) It has a about a ½ to ¾ yard bucket and can lift about a ½ to a full ton or so with no problem ( it never runs out of power , could use more counter weight in the rear to lift more) Basically it will lift itself off the ground before it runs out of lifting power. It other words, anything you can fit in the bucket it will lift. ( snow, rocks, boulders, cement, dirt, top soil, ¾ " process, asphalt, ½' process, stone, wood, logs, mulch or whatever.. its done it all) I also have used it to pull engines out of cars and trucks, tow trailers etc. . . You can even install universal forks on the bucket and use it as a fork lift if needed. I fabricated a trailer hitch mount for the front bucket for moving trailers around the yard. I will include this with the loader . It is a class 2 hitch and receiver that slips over the bottom bucket lip and has a binder and chain that neatly fastens it to the top hook on the bucket. Again it runs and drives great and will work as hard and long as you need her to. LIGHTS and Restoration Last summer I freshened up the paint job and took care of all the little surface rust spots with heavy machine yellow paint (caterpillar/ new John Deere yellow ) I also put a new key ignition and seat on it. I have installed lots of lights as well as strobe lights (front AND rear) so you can be seen as well as see at night for night time operation. Both sets of strobes are DOT certified so it can be driven down the road legally short distances from job site to job site or yard to yard if necessary. It has 2 LED strobes in the front ( orange and white ) and also 2 in the rear ( same colors). It also has an additional 2 LED working lights in the front and also 2 Led working lights in the rear. Also two additional hyper white halogen ( BRIGHT!) Driving lights in the front for night traveling. Only thing it could use is new front brakes but I never used them because the low gear brings it to a pretty much complete stop or just put the bucket down to stop her. There are just regular heavy duty FORD f--350 brake shoes in the front if you wanted to replace them. I never really used them. It will stop without them. You can e-mail me here call or text me on my cell phone at 203-214-3892 or call 203-997-0355. my house phone I am asking somewhere around $3,400.00 or best offer which I think is a very very fair price for this machine. I have seen NON running / driving / operating machines go for much more for restoration. This one is restored, runs and operates as it is! You can work with it the moment you get it. It will make you your money back in less then a week if you have work for it. It will do the work of 60 or so hand shovels in one bucket. Its made me AND saved me thousands. If you think about it this machine is cheaper to buy then it would be to rent, drop off and pick up a bob cat for a month or two. It is perfect for a start up landscaping or mature snow removal business the like. It really is a multi tasking machine. Or it can just be a fun back yard toy , which is what it is for me at the moment. Serious inquires please. Cash only of course
i will upload more relevant pics now for future research
more
one more for fun
Hello All, I hate to dig up an old thread, but I just bought a wheel loader, and it looks exactly like the one you have pictured above. I bought it off a guy whose father owned it for around 30 years, no idea of what its story was before that. We just got it running the other day, just replaced a hydraulic line that blew and looking forward to using this on the property. I also agree that this seems to be a Trojan based on the linkage points and the symbol on the rear counterweight. I just cant seem to find anything else online as far as a model number, year, etc. Any ideas or experts out there? Thanks! -Pete
Cute little loader there. I can see how it would be hard to find anything online, sometimes searching images will find something when you don't even have a model number or engine to start with. That's how I found this thread out in the vast wasteland of the web. Even with a model number you're probably going to be on your own for parts, find parts according to the component, engine, trans, axle, hydraulic pump. Brakes and clutch can be relined. Those tires are from a junkyard to replace the originals? The good news is this thing is built with good iron and plenty of it, a lot can be fixed with "weld it up and grind it down".
Dang would love to have one of those! Hilton NY? not that far away maybe I could sneak up some night when you are not around ops Just need to get Ernie's trailer..........
Thanks! I have been using it for snow removal and am surprised how well it works even with junk tires. replaced most of the lines and the hydraulics are very responsive. Planning on cleaning it up and painting it at some point. Only thing I know is missing is the tinwork that goes over the engine, but I think I can make something to replace that. I'd love to find out what year/model this thing is, if anyone has any ideas...