Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is a good older open bowl small scraper? 6 to 10 yards

MattR · 2024-11-02 10:16

I've only had Allis Chalmers 260s. Considering something smaller than that for ATV trail work. Around 8 ft wide. Must be open bowl. Thank you

Replies22
  1. #1Jacob Waldner2024-11-03 16:26

    John Deere 762A shifter switch can build you one

  2. #2mowingman2024-11-03 17:23

    I would suggest a good old Cat 613, if you can find a good used one. They are dependable old scrapers, fairly easy to get parts for, and about the size you seem to need. I liked the 613 better than the 615, but I guess you could look for one of those too.

  3. #3Catsparky12024-11-04 00:20

    Cat 611 if you can find them . They didn't make many of them .

  4. #4MattR2024-11-04 07:17

    Aren't these elevating scrapers? I've never seen an open bowl in these versions

  5. #5mowingman2024-11-04 12:03

    Yes, I should have clarified that. I just don't think you can find a small open bowl scraper any more. Thought one of these elevating scrapers might meet your needs, as they are small. Just a thought, I wonder how much work it would be to convert one of these to an open bowl? Maybe if the machine price was cheap enough and you are a good fabricator?

  6. #6Tones2024-11-04 12:26

    Wabco made a 10yd scraper, the D Pull but good luck finding one of them. Terex also made a 8-10yd twin power, build for the British military, some even made it to Australia. Being air portable I wouldn't be surprised if the US didn't have them.

  7. #7mowingman2024-11-04 13:24

    A little Wabco was available. some referred to it as a "D Roadster", as it was a fast little machine. I think parts would be very hard, if not impossible to find for one of those machines. Euclid offered the little S7, but only in a single engine version. If you could find one of those, you MIGHT be able to still get some parts. Both machines are now considered antiques/classics.

  8. #8traxcavator2024-11-05 20:46

    There were some 613 and 615 open bowl scrapers built. I believe Rome may have built the bowls but I’m not sure. There were also some Dresser 412B scrapers built that have a bowl similar to the 613 version. The 611 was an open bowl scraper that Cat produced using the 615 tractor. Cat only sold them for a couple years in the early 2000s. I don’t think Cat built the bowls for these machines and in my opinion the bowls did not load very well at all.

  9. #9traxcavator2024-11-05 20:47

    Here is a link to 412b up for auction. Pardon Our Interruption

  10. #10Joe H2024-11-06 01:03

    Too far away & too big, but cheap right now https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,nm/auction/view?auc=3638213

  11. #11Tones2024-11-06 07:54

    All Cat and IH elevator bowls were made by Johnson originally.

  12. #12traxcavator2024-11-06 09:45

    I was referencing the open bowls, not the elevators.

  13. #13Tones2024-11-06 17:16

    Well bugger me, never knew IH made them this small.

  14. #14Joe H2024-11-06 19:10

    What's this thing worth dead? https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,nm/auction/view?auc=3638213 Joe H

  15. #15mowingman2024-11-06 20:11

    We leased a couple of those 623F scrappers years ago. For some reason, which I do not recall, the operators liked the older 623B machines a lot better. Seems like we had a lot more mechanical problems with the F'S also. We returned them at the end of the lease. At the time, I heard the F series were not very good machines. This was just hearsay, although I was not impressed with ours.

  16. #16traxcavator2024-11-07 20:05

    Here is a pic of a 613 open bowl. I haven’t been able to find any of the 615 open bowls but there is a local contractor near me that ran two of them in mid to late 90s.

  17. #17Pattroy2024-11-12 11:20

    I’ve got a Clark about that size. Cummins engine. But I’m west central Montana. im looking @ a fiat allis 161? Paddle wheel—-low hour. Got a lot of muck to load that’s hard to get rid of—-this you can raise the paddles and it has solid floor—-but I know very little about any fiat. And scraper is 300+ miles—haven’t seen it

  18. #18terex herder2024-11-19 16:58

    The later model of the Wabco was the 11 yard 111A. It was an paddle wagon, 4-71 and an Allison.

  19. #19treemuncher2024-12-07 21:05

    I have an old 101F (pretty sure that is the correct number) that I need to get rid of. The elevator was pulled out and repaired but I never put it back in. I was using it to haul gravel at my place and loading it with the excavator. Worked well and kept grade. I will have to pull the manual and check the specs. I am quite certain it is 8' wide or less and rated at 9 cubic yards. Cummins V8 power.

  20. #20hseII2025-02-23 09:55

    That looks like a dandy. Is it yours? Push it with a 6 or a TD15?

  21. #21traxcavator2025-02-24 20:45

    No, it’s not mine. That’s just a picture from the web for reference. In the mid 2000s there were a few around here that I saw from time to time, if I remember correctly they were pushed with a D6H. Two were military green, the other yellow. It would be cool to see a couple of those scrapers working with a TD-15E pushing.

  22. #22terex herder2025-03-08 07:46

    Military had a small open bowl in WW2. It could be transported in a DC3. Neighbor has one, non-operational. Maybe 2-3 yards, just guessing.