Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is a mini skidsteer?

PeterG ยท 2019-06-04 12:07

Ok, so a mini skidsteer is pretty much something on rubber tracks but a few are on wheels that you stand behind, a weight of 3500 lb or less, with a lot of them closer to 2000 lbs. Brands are Toro Dingo, Boxer, Vermeer, Bobcat MT, DitchWich, ASV RC50, etc. If your machine is on wheels, and has a weight of 5000 lb or more, it's likely something to discuss in the Skidsteer Column. All of you folk with an actual Mini Skidsteer, where are you! I would love to hear about some of the newer ones and how they are doing. The new Toro Dingo's are not so great I hear, while the Big Ditch Which models seem to be pretty hot. I'm still on my Toro Dingo TX425 which I still love.

Replies6
  1. #1PeterG2019-06-04 12:10

    Ooops, mean't to say ASV RC30, not the RC50 which is a full size machine

  2. #2DIYDAVE2019-06-04 20:47

    ASV has an RT25, and an RC40, now, too...

  3. #3PeterG2019-06-04 21:08

    Those are way cool machines! Not so little though. At the time, I was interested in the RC30 but it seemed like there was too much concern with the durability of the undercarriage. I ended up with a Toro Dingo wide track, and then got a Takeuchi TL130 "little monster" track loader for the heavy work.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2019-06-04 22:30

    When I put the forum together I had in mind the small units you either walk behind or stand on behind the controls, nothing with an enclosed cab.

  5. #5Zewnten2019-06-05 22:15

    Ditch witch units are nice, very fast so in material transport it's a clear winner. But the Dingo's have a much better flow rate for running implements, where the dingo could run a tiller or trencher and move backwards smoothly the ditch witch was one or the other but not both.

  6. #6Tampa4502019-10-13 11:06

    Im seriously considering getting a new ASV RT40. Kinda nervous tho. They do have 0% financing right now. As far as the "mini skid steer" name goes . I gave up. I have a bobcat 463, which in my opinion, is probably the only "true" mini skid steer of the bunch. It has 4 wheels and a cab (= skidsteer) and it is mini ( 44 in wide and weighs 2200 lbs) To me there is nothing skidsteer about a toro dingo.... but hey what do I know? Ive noticed that pretty much everybody calls what I call "walk behind" units "mini skidsteers" (dingos, boxers, mt55, DW, etc) Those ASV's are only 48" wide so they are small... Definitely not a full size CTL. The RT 40 weighs like 4200 lbs tho.