Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is it?

wnydirtguy ยท 2014-03-22 21:03

Saw this for sale on the side of the road. Looks cool but can not find much info on it. I know some around here will help me out.

Replies9
  1. #1Buckethead2014-03-22 21:10

    It's an MRS tractor, used by the military for pulling scrapers and other towed equipment.

  2. #2wnydirtguy2014-03-22 21:52

    were there a lot of them and were they good?

  3. #3mowingman2014-03-22 22:10

    I believe MRS = Mississippi Road Service. As mentioned, they built a bunch of 4 wheel tractors with pull scrapers, for the military. Other than that contract, I don't think they sold very many. I believe that Taylor Machine Works, makers of large forklifts, container stackers, etc., bought the rights to the MRS scrapers. I don't think Taylor ever built any of them though.

  4. #4kshansen2014-03-23 09:38

    Don't know about the machine but looks like a 6V71 in there so at least it has something going for it!

  5. #5FarmWrench2014-03-23 21:31

    That is right around the corner from my house. That center pivot just south is some of my land. I saw the guy yesterday and forgot to ask what it was myself.

  6. #6RZucker2014-03-23 22:04

    I know the military used several different tractors and a couple of different scraper designs, all interchangeable. Ive seen the Cat built tractor, The Michigan 290-M,And a few years ago saw a 4 wheel steer machine in a junkyard that looks pretty similar to this M-R-S except it was powered with an 8V-71... camo paint and all. This particular machine may be a similar design but I doubt the 6V-71 is up to the task of pulling an 18 yd struck scraper without help. The 290-M had a 350+ hp cummins engine and actually did a very good job as an unassisted scraper.

  7. #7multipackmachin2014-03-28 08:05

    I think it is look like tractor.... but i don't know which number is it?

  8. #8wnydirtguy2014-04-07 18:33

    FarmWrench nice to know a local guys is on here!! Just seems like a nice little unit. If I had extra $$$$ to buy it I just might. multipack not sure. next time buy i will take a peak!

  9. #9multipackmachin2014-04-14 08:13

    ok sure........