Found this thing in the service truck I bought a few years ago. Been sitting on my office desk for a few years, I been using it as a paperweight .
Two hole thing a m bob
a door knocker, put ur 2 fingers in the holes and knock it against a door..
Some kinda hydraulic tube standoff is my guess.
How big is it? With no idea of scale, it makes it hard to guess. put a ruler below the object, and snap another pic...
That's an easy one! One out in my tool box right now! It is what is referred to as a "Fish Tail Wrench"! Note the Euclid colored paint on it? They were used to adjust the rear wheel bearings on a Euclid off highway truck. There is a threaded hole in the rear wheel hub that you put a bolt through one of the holes and the "Fish Tail" part drops into the notch in the bearing adjusting nut then you turn the wheel and this tool turns the wheel bearing adjusting nut. I don't have any old Euclid service manuals at home but there was a "spec" for how heavy a guy you had push down on a 10 foot pipe to get the "proper" torque on the wheel bearing nut! Here is a very crude drawing of how it would be used. Green is the wrench and red is the wheel bearing adjusting nut. You turn the black wheel which in turn turns the wrench tightening the red nut.
Your explanation makes perfect sense but I would have never guessed!
Thanks a bunch kshansen ! That makes since now , old John, spent a lot of his time working in quarries. He too was a heavy equipment mechanic. I bought this service truck from his family along with all his tools. This tool has been a mystery till now. Thanks again.
Unfortunately back when we had several of those old Euclids we didn't have that tool. What we would do is put a bolt in the threaded hole in the wheel and then use another bolt with head in the notch of the wheel bearing adjusting nut. Not real safe but worked if everyone was careful. Later on I stumbled on to one of those "Fish Tails" in a box of junk from another plant and I grabbed onto it fast. Think I only actually had a chance to use it a few times but it dose work slick. If you notice the "tail" is such that it will only push towards the left in your third picture and if you back off it will more or less work like a ratchet. Have to wonder who the guy was that came up with that simple tool! I have a strange tool I will have to post some time to see if anyone knows what it is, some kind of puller, I think. It's a New Briton brand but no part numbers. Anyone got some old New Briton tool catalogs on the back shelf somewhere?
Kudos, kshansen!!