Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is it?

Old Doug ยท 2022-01-28 11:41

Can some one tell me what this crane is i am trying to get a ideal how much this caboose weights.

Replies3
  1. #1mowingman2022-01-28 13:30

    Looks a lot like a "Unit Rig". However, "Holmes" built some heavy cranes for railroad work, so it might be something built by Holmes. Then again, maybe none of the above! Jeff

  2. #2crane operator2022-01-29 10:33

    Most cabooses are going to weigh between 50 and 60,000lbs. The trucks (wheel sections) will be around 15-20,000 lbs of that weight. and I agree with Jeff that it looks like a holmes railroad crane. They were rated from 50-100,000 lbs capacity. There's been a bunch of them for sale in the last couple years, I think the railroad is getting rid of them all and subcontracting out all the rerail activity.

  3. #3Old Doug2022-01-29 11:07

    Thanks it does look like a Holmes. The caboose was Dads and it needs to be moved agin. I found a place that sells caboose and cars but they havent responded to me asking what it weights. I saw a caboose in Maryville Mo that had a pintle hitch and a set of wheels so it could be moved easy i would like to see that agin. If i could i would drive to maryville and see if i could find it or any thing about it. I rememder one thing about it the hitch and axles were bolted to it.