Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is it do you reckon?

Scrub Puller ยท 2015-06-14 09:33

Yair . . . I stumbled upon this tidy old girl, a Cletrac maybe? I don't remember the engine side screens and the overhead gear like that though, maybe an Ansaldo? Cheers.

Replies10
  1. #1Old Magnet2015-06-14 12:06

    That radiator top tank and grill are definitely Cletrac

  2. #2Deere500a2015-06-14 12:56

    Nice looking crawler -OC-18? See that over head setup on late 30's/40's Cats .

  3. #3Scrub Puller2015-06-15 01:08

    Yair . . . . Old Magnet . Yes, on reflection that pattern of holes stamped in the grille is Cletracish. It's a nice tidy unit, with those engine side screens. Quite a carry on there with the tanks in front of the operator and I can't figure out that muffler/air cleaner? Cheers.

  4. #4Scrub Puller2015-06-15 01:29

    Yair . . . Found this piccy of an FDE Oliver which has that tank in front of operator. You know I have done a few hours on FDE's and don't remember a thing about it. Cheers.

  5. #5Old Magnet2015-06-15 01:58

    I'm chasing out the cobwebs here but didn't they have air boosted steering on those big Cletracs? So one of those tanks is fuel and the other air reservoir tanks?

  6. #6Old Junk Man2015-06-15 15:27

    the grille looks the same as the one on my cletrac. mine is much smaller.

  7. #7Scrub Puller2015-06-15 16:22

    Yair . . . Good one Old Magnet. They did have air and probably on the steering which was just a basic differential set up as well as I remember, I know that when you pulled one lever under load the other track sometimes lost traction on a slippery log or something and would spin like crazy. Cheers.

  8. #8Queenslander2015-06-15 17:40

    Scrub, Any idea what QHCI stands for? Sounds governmentish. Cheers,Greg

  9. #9Scrub Puller2015-06-15 19:34

    Yair . . . Queenslander . The citation on the site mentioned clearing for housing at Inala so I am guessing Queensland Housing Commission . . . ? can't imagine what the "I" would be, sounds a bit far fetched to think "Inala" but perhaps they thought big back then and did it all in house? Cheers.

  10. #10larslog2015-06-27 12:48

    Friend of mine has one very much like it.His is a FDLH cletrac.Big tank just behind engine is fuel tank and smaller one is the battery box.Also has air boosted steering and clutch.F=model D=diesel L=logger H=hillside(wide gauge).