Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is smallest wheel loader I need to lift 10000 lbs with forks

deer3245 · 2010-03-19 20:37

Hello Anyone know what size of wheel loaders (referably the smallest) that would be able to lift 8 x 40 foot steel shipping containers (10000 lbs) with forks. I do not have to lift them very often , and have a large 24000 lb cat forklift that I currently use for doing this, but it just sits most of the time not being used. I definetely have alot of work I could being doing if I had a wheel loader or similar, but still need to be able to occasionaly lift the containers. One idea I have considered is that if I had a smaller machine that could lift at least 6000 lbs, I could lift one end up on the container (when taking off the truck) , block it, then lift the other end, then have the truck pull ahead. I do not even know if that would work. Love the forklift but really would like to have a more multipurpose piece of equipment. ove to hear any suggestions? B

Replies13
  1. #1muff2010-03-20 10:08

    deer, I would suggest looking at specs. on each manuf. website. Then you could always back the model off to previous years assuming you are going with a used machine over new. If you are talking brand new, obviously your work is done by just visiting the website. Just keep in mind that sometimes the forks, on machines that are not designated forklifts, can be the weak link in that they will bend, or bend the carriage, so make sure they are rated for your 10K lbs too.

  2. #2ben46a2010-03-20 11:06

    Ive done it with an IT38G cat, but wouldnt want anything smaller than that!

  3. #3joispoi2010-03-20 11:13

    Sincy you already have the forklift, would something like this be of any use? http://images.ecommetrix.com/commerce/55/DB_H2.jpg

  4. #4schmidtspumping2010-04-04 17:32

    test

  5. #5MKTEF2010-04-05 13:06

    Since we are handling containers all the time, here is some inputs: There are more than one thing to consider here. Looking at websites won't give you all the answers. First, the container is 5t(10'Lbs) at 1,22m(apr 4') out on the forks. Normaly they are rated at 60cm(2'). So you need forks rated at 10t(20'Lbs) When u look at the wheel loader, the capasity drops quick when u get the cg out on the forks. I would say something around a 20t whelloader.(L110-L120) To be on the safe side. Lifting one end means u need chains and stuff, and lift in the top corners. Then block under, between the trailer and cont... Then lift the other end, and have the trailer drive off. You are already in trouble, if a wheel loader was your tool for that job. I have handelled a big load of 20', empty and full ones, with L120, 150 and 180. I would not think of handling 40' with something less than a L120. And thats with special container forks, 8' spread and 8' long tines. You very quickly get one fork overloaded, and then your backwheels are in the air. Handling containers is not easy with the loader, it works in a totaly different way than your forklift. But after some lifts you will get the hang of it. And keep the box close to the ground, they tend to destroy stuff when u loose them and they roll over. I would for shure go for a wheel loader instead of a forklift. But to be on the safe side, stick to a big enough machine!

  6. #6laketreefarm2010-04-25 20:25

    Wheeloader for containers I use a Komatsu Wa-180 wheelloader with ACT fork attachment system and carry/load 20' containers over rough ground at my farm/container yard. I also use to unload 40's by first dragging back til I've got one end on the ground and then picking up the other end with a chain and pulling the lowboy out from underneath. I load with a winch. It will take a WA-220 or better to pickup a carry a 40. My customers prefer 20's anyway. Most container delaers that sell/rent 40's use big forks. Like you I hated to have a one use piece of big ironting unused. I Use my Wa-180 a lot. It's tippoint is 12K.

  7. #7Kingston2010-04-28 19:49

    think 3yrd. and bigger. 950, 644, 621, ...

  8. #8kokosing2010-05-30 17:15

    A 644 is plenty enough, we use operate 4 JD 544Ks, (just started using them at the beginning of January, before was 4 544Js) at our lumber reload yard, and I believe that their max is 13,000lbs-15,000lbs. Also the bigger the machine, the more fuel you're going to use too.

  9. #9Toby792010-10-03 05:40

    Sorry for stealing and bumping this thread, but i´m new here and need some urgent help. And will be most thankfull for answers. Is there anyone that know what this wheel loader is? http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/852/021020101050.jpg http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3062/021020101049.jpg http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/57/300920101047.jpg The loader is powered by a 6 cyl Perkins. Thats all I know. Seems like a pretty good forum this by the way. I must check it out later on. And if there is a better place for this reply I hope some admin would guide it to the right place. Btw sorry for the bad english.

  10. #10sultan2010-10-03 13:02

    Looks like a scoopmobile to me.

  11. #11Toby792010-10-03 16:30

    Thanks a lot Sultan! That must be the right one. It looks like there could be some differens in the engines on that machine, but then it´s just like everyone else. A big thanks once again!!

  12. #12sultan2010-10-03 18:46

    Yeah, they were made with many different engines.

  13. #13stumpjumper832010-10-04 22:06

    humm... what about an older properly sized forklift. Like the old hysters with the tilt cylinders above the cab and a truck rear for a front axle. then a newer properly sized smaller tool carrier for all your other fun.