Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is the best air chuck for filling tires?

chidog · 2026-08-17 14:23

Seems like all the ones I have had just don't work all that great, that is for staying on the stem so you do not need be near the tires when filling the air. They have all been very finicky and leaked.

Replies33
  1. #1HATCHEQUIP2026-08-17 14:28

    I use i believe there Milton , seems like you want the ones that have like threads or grooves in them so they hang onto the valve stem threads

  2. #2crane operator2026-08-17 14:50

    I use milton also. My tire guy likes haltec. I saw that the loc and lube grease fitting company is now making a locking tire chuck. I haven't tried one, but I would be interested if anyone else has. Heavy Duty Air Chucks For Easy Tire Inflation | LockNLube USA Achieve a secure air tight connection with LockNFlate® Air Chuck for hands-free, leak-free inflation and without hassle of holding Air Chuck in place. Shop now! locknlube.com

  3. #3JD955SC2026-08-17 15:13

    Milton and add a true locking chuck My Milton has a 15 foot hose perfect for being well away from the tire should it decide to become a bomb.

  4. #4ps66x42026-08-17 15:30

    They might be good but nothing like shopping and a banner wanting email and such even before you decided. Forget it.

  5. #5Welder Dave2026-08-17 16:21

    I have a Milton with a straight end that has the grooves. You just tilt it to the side and it holds on. Most air chucks are angled on the end and won't work on dual tires. You can't have a big end for semi tires. The Miton also has an angled end on the backside for the outside duals that the stem points inwards. Milton has a long and a short version of them. I think the short version is an S 693.

  6. #6LCA0782026-08-17 17:36

    I grew up with the Milton air stuff and really like the company, or at least their older stuff. But after looking at the Haltec as mentioned above, I may drop the $15 on one from Amazon and try it out. I only air up singles so no need for a long wand. I've not had good luck with my latest round of locking air chucks....can't remember if the last two were Milton or not as it's been a while.

  7. #7Welder Dave2026-08-17 20:06

    Here are the long and short Milton chucks. The long one is an S-693-12 and short is just S-693. https://www.amazon.ca/Dual-STR-Chuck-Overall-Length/dp/B004QI1WEA/ref=sr_1_2?adgrpid=1363395052226782&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ZcBG9bY-Hn2Pof4KQB4erz4JS5fFPbjBVAz641zFlFHGjHj071QN20LucGBJIEps.73lUuR8EQl4svcQcx5eg0cIBSADtSl4y3RLYREdyu9c&dib_tag=se&hvadid=85212705270942&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=125345&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-85212894841314%3Aloc-32&hydadcr=29102_14772046&keywords=milton+s-693&mcid=58635d7b0b1b328582b9c207e917e025&msclkid=2f9b18cd92bd153bbc45724e33c5ca9f&qid=1787011534&sr=8-2 https://www.amazon.ca/Milton-S-693-S693-Air-Chuck/dp/B0002SQTAA/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=1363395052226782&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ZcBG9bY-Hn2Pof4KQB4erz4JS5fFPbjBVAz641zFlFHGjHj071QN20LucGBJIEps.73lUuR8EQl4svcQcx5eg0cIBSADtSl4y3RLYREdyu9c&dib_tag=se&hvadid=85212705270942&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=125345&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-85212894841314%3Aloc-32&hydadcr=29102_14772046&keywords=milton+s-693&mcid=58635d7b0b1b328582b9c207e917e025&msclkid=c15631b75f1615d672b15b34fc1cbee8&qid=1787011870&sr=8-1

  8. #8DDoug2026-08-17 20:16

    FWIW....in a pinch, sometimes a standard Milton air hose QC will inflate a tire, push it on the valve stem like you would a tire chuck. Other times, it does not work.

  9. #9Welder Dave2026-08-17 22:00

    Sometimes it can be tricky getting a Milton to stay on especially if it's tight and you can't angle it the right way. Overall they're pretty good.

  10. #10aighead2026-08-18 06:26

    In a similar area- Anyone know a quality pressure gauge? Amazon has a million, I've tried a few but haven't liked most of them.

  11. #11Tinkerer2026-08-18 07:19

    I use a Milton. I have had it for quite a few years. I think a lot of people that have them don't know that the pressure reading is adjustable. I found that mine was slightly off when I checked the tires on my truck. It has a pressure display in the digital dashboard menu. I see that Milton offers inflate-rs with a digital display. Tooo expensive for me tho. ​

  12. #12crane operator2026-08-18 12:30

    I like this with the 5' air line (don't get the 15"). But only if I'm just checking pressure. If I'm installing tires, I don't like to sit there and hold the trigger while it fills a 425. If I'm mounting tires I use a straight head that locks on and a gauge. https://a.co/d/03cS1B8U

  13. #13Welder Dave2026-08-18 16:10

    The inflators with the mechanical connector are nice but they can't always fit on tires like duals.

  14. #14chidog2026-08-19 02:00

    I like that clamp on grease chuck works great, so whats the name brand of the similar air chuck?

  15. #15aighead2026-08-19 06:26

    Phoo! Now I see why my pressure gauges maybe aren't such high quality. Those are expensive!

  16. #16crane operator2026-08-19 06:42

    If I buy the good michelin's for my AT crane, they aren't cheap. There's 10 tires on my 120 ton. Any way that I can make it easier for my guys to check tire pressure, easily pays for itself. 525/80R25 176F Michelin X Crane + E-2 TL 525/80R25 Michelin X-Crane Plus Radial Mobile Crane Tire (20.5R25) The Michelin X-Crane Plus is a radial mobile crane tire designed for excellent traction, grip wear. Built for operator comfort, the X-Crane is DOT approved for high speed use. Built for on and off road applications, the X-Crane... otrusa.com

  17. #17Truck Shop2026-08-19 11:04

    Gauges and chucks lasted about 4 months, Tire Life plugs them up. Every service or anytime a truck/trailer rolled in all 24 tires were checked. 105 steer, 105 drop, drives 100, trailer 100. Winter time constant bumping tire pressure. When used like that the gauges/chucks don't last long.

  18. #18aighead2026-08-19 14:59

    Goodness, I only have 24-32 tires I'm real worried about.

  19. #19Truck Shop2026-08-19 17:01

    That was--130 steer mounted, 130 drop axle mounted, 520 drive mounted, 1,380 trailer mounted. And it's a small company compared to some.

  20. #20Coaldust2026-08-19 23:14

    Not the best for every application, but the Haltec - GA-160 - Dual Foot pocket gauge is kinda handy.

  21. #21DDoug2026-08-20 14:11

    Does that thing talk to your phone ?

  22. #22Coaldust2026-08-20 15:49

    Sticking the tires becomes an all day project when you roll on forty-four quick. At any given time, there is always a leaker, a cut, or an axle worth that needs rotated.

  23. #23Welder Dave2026-08-20 17:12

    I think about the 820 tonne vessel they moved on 932 tires. It must have took several people hours to check all the tires unless the trailers had there own automatic inflation system and gauges. Think they'd want to visually inspect all the tires though.

  24. #24JD955SC2026-08-20 21:16

    Those specialty haulers have support trucks with plenty of spares

  25. #25Welder Dave2026-08-20 22:09

    Still a lot of work checking them all.

  26. #26DDoug2026-08-21 15:42

    never need to check for air pressure......: Wheel Sets & Wheels - Irwin Car Our shop capabilities and personnel's expertise allow us to support your needs with new and reconditioned wheel sets for standard, narrow and custom rail www.irwincar.com

  27. #27Coaldust2026-08-21 16:46

    This thread reminds me,…..So, today is the opening day of the Alaska State Fair in Palmer. On this day, in 2015, an under-inflated trailer tire overheated on the Glenn Highway Palmer off-ramp. Blocking all the fair traffic. It had 6,200 hundred gallons of RUG loaded according to the manifest. Visually inspect and stick your tires, Boys.

  28. #28Truck Shop2026-08-21 22:57

    The only way that will happen is throwing in free roller dogs and a big gulp. It takes alot of incentive for he-man covered in tats to do a pre-trip.

  29. #29Coaldust2026-08-21 23:11

    So true.

  30. #30chidog2026-08-24 17:32

    Have not tried it yet but got the expensive Lock N Fill the other day.

  31. #31chidog2026-08-25 03:55

    It works great, now at some point I have to play with the crappy old forklift tires, split wedge type rims I guess it is called, I need to get all the air stems pointing out side and long enough, do they make extensions? Yeah at least the splits are all facing each other, duals. I hate tires. And yeah only 5 psi or less when installing them, and sit on the machine to fill them.

  32. #32HarleyHappy2026-08-25 07:28

    Yes they make extensions, with the valve already in place. Not sure how long they make them but I have some 2” and 3” that have been in my tire drawer for ever.

  33. #33chidog2026-08-25 18:35

    Yeah and they are duals, they are stemmed so the stems will poke to the inside on the outer wheel. I need to change that, so I have to flip the inner tube around I guess. I need to clean and paint them I guess if I don't want them to rust any more.